• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking, Walking Posture, Leg Lengths

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A bit of an odd topic but I wonder if anyone on the forum has any info on this.

I recently noticed that while my left leg swings naturally back and forth as I walk, my right leg follows an arc, apparently because the right leg is slightly longer. I have also noticed that I get a little bit of pain in my right foot if I do extended walking in my leather soled shoes.

Does anyone have any experience with this? A brief google suggests inserts in my left shoe. I don't have back pain or neck pain but I don't want something develop further down the line just because my body sucks.
laugh.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only people made in factories are exactly even. The different leg lengths just prove you're hand made
laugh.gif

Unless the difference is extreme I wouldn't worry. If it bothers you ask your doctor.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well the leg length issue itself doesn't bother me and I know it's common, but the fact that one leg has a different pattern of movement from the other leg as well as recently starting to feel pain in that foot is a little disconcerting.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your feet hurt you could try exercising the muscles in them - try to move the big toe away from the rest - this raises your foots arch and then rise up of your heel as high as you can, or just try picking things up with your big toe and putting them down. Move your toes as far up and as far down as you can stretching the muscles in your feet. You can try pushing down into the flaw with your toes, again space your big toe out first
I was made to do these for physio when I was younger, but find now occasionally the muscles in my feet hurt when walking in some leather shoes, so I do this and it helps.

Don't get inserts you have not been recommended to get by a professional they can screw your feet/legs/back up. If it persists you are better off seeing a professional.

DrPat

Reaction score
Almost everyone has uneven legs. The effect on your body depends on how large the discrepancy is and what sorts of activities you do. My legs are only sightly different in length but this caused two stress fractures in my legs because I was running over 60 miles per week. Go to a podiatrist and ask him to fit you for orthotics. He will measure your leg length, the angle between your leg and foot, etc and construct something much more personalized than the foam inserts you buy in the grocery store.

MLIW

Reaction score
Sometimes it is best to go to see a manipulator to get your hips realligned as sometimes this is the cause...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads