• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VTG 1950's RARE Florsheim Imperial Pebble Grain Longwing Gunboat Spectators Double Sole US 8.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivyivy

Reaction score
VTG 1950's Florsheim Imperial Longwing Spectators, Size 8.5 D.

Just bought these beauties on eBay earlier this week and I'm already having some buyer's remorse; albeit nothing to do with the shoes themselves. Admittedly, I've never worn spectators before, but these are an incredibly rare and interesting cross between the usual, elegant two-tone wingtip oxfords of the 1930's (think Fred Astaire!) and the clunky, heavy duty mid-century style battleships of the 50's Ivy League era! Note the very nice detail of the gold colored welt stitch. They are in pristine condition; as close to "new old stock" as you'll find from a shoe of this vintage. Soles are 100% original. Uppers are mint; it's unlikely that these were worn much at all. See photos for details. Price is non negotiable. I'm asking only what I purchased them for (negotiated down from higher asking) and no profit is being made off this sale. I'm selling because I can't justify the purchase given how little I would probably wear these; these are damn sexy shoes and it was a shameless impulse buy. As much as I love them, I'm just not a two-tone kind of guy and I wouldn't want these to collect dust in my closet waiting for the odd occasion to be shown off. My loss is your gain however; you aren't likely to find another pair, in any size, in similar condition! Message me for additional photos and I'll be happy to provide them.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 69
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 118
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 111
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

jivyivy

Reaction score
i wear uk 7 and eu 41 for most English and European shoes, will these fit?

thank you @jivyivy

I really couldn't say but these do fit "true-to-size" so according to all of the international shoe size conversion charts a UK size 7 would translate to a US size 9 and EUR 41 seems to be the equivalent of a US 8. That's quite a difference so it sounds like you're either using different types of shoes to compare... or you have a whole lot of wiggle room!

If you wear shoes that fall between a size 8 and 9 US (UK 7 and EUR 41) then you're probably closer to a US 8.5 which would make these a perfect fit.

See here: http://www.shoesizingcharts.com/
And here: http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

That said, the length of the sole measures 12 1/16".

The width of the heel (at widest point) measures 3 5/8".

The width of the sole at the vamp (also at widest point) measures 4 11/16".

The width of the sole at the toe cap (also at widest point) measures approx 3 7/8".

You could probably walk into any men's shoe shop that sells contempo Florsheims and try on a pair of US 8.5 D to get a better idea of fit. I don't think the last has changed much if at all, over the years. Quality of build is a different story though!

Anyhow, please check those measurements against your foots. You could always stand on a piece of paper and have someone trace your foot for accuracy. Then measure the length and width against the measurements that I provided above. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jivyivy

Reaction score
Yes, still available. Same set price.
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads