• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Volvo S40 T5? or something else?

limester816

Reaction score
I want to sell my 03 Accord and get something more fun to drive. I would like to keep the price under 17k if possible, and good safety, not too small, and good reliability are musts. I drove my friend's S60R and it was a sweet ride, so I'm thinking of the S40 T5. College age, and up appropriate, not too flashy but still fun and fast... volvo's are safe. Am I missing anything? I'm welcome to alternative recs too...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost bought one... I found it to be a poor performing car IMO. even the T5 leaves you wanting more engine. And the handling was blah.

You don't want to hear this, but keep the accord if its holding up well and your young. cars are a waste of money IMO.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Volvos are not reliable. Keep the Accord until you can easily afford payments on a new or slightly used car, or pay cash for a older used car (including cash for the needed repairs in the first year). There are so many better ways to blow money in your 20s.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I almost bought one... I found it to be a poor performing car IMO. even the T5 leaves you wanting more engine. And the handling was blah.

A few months ago after trading in my TT I was considering leaving the VW/Audi group and thought about a Volvo. The S40 really was not impressive enough in the looks department to make up for the lack of power and handling. The C30 isn't any better performance-wise, but actually looks very nice if you're wanting to stay within the Volvo family.

I went with an A4 and I'm glad I did. Enough performance for me and understated looks. Lease deals were a bit better through Audi as well.

mikeman

Reaction score
Bought a used 05 S40 T5 this past may, I think it is great. I was driving a old Altima, so the power upgrade was awesome. I have had zero problems with it.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano

You don't want to hear this, but keep the accord if its holding up well and your young. cars are a waste of money IMO.

+1 I agree with you about new Volvos. I had a couple of damn good ones back in the 80s.
Keep the Accord and use to the extra saving to enjoy life.

kruze

Reaction score
Ive driven an s60 with the t5 and was not impressed. I am sure the s40 seems a little more powerful with the weight difference but was unimpressed. And come to think of it, I just drove the c70 and also was unimpressed. It was just severely underpowered. Highway passing ability was not what I expected. The turbo on these things seem tiny. For me, I wouldn't waste my money on one. The interior also didn't excite me. I test drove a hybrid altima and was more impressed by the interior and engine capability. Just keep your accord if it's still passing inspection.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The R is really what the base S60 should be and they should have a performace model in the 350-ish hp range. I have an '01 T5 S60 and though it is a bit quicker than most cars of it's age, it does indeed leave me wanting a bit more power. Especially considering the new Honda Accord V6 puts out 21 more ponies than my Volvo.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Volvos are not reliable. Keep the Accord until you can easily afford payments on a new or slightly used car, or pay cash for a older used car (including cash for the needed repairs in the first year). There are so many better ways to blow money in your 20s.

Like buying blow.

sjg22

Reaction score
Absolutely something else. Volvos do one thing well - they're safe. But, since most cars are packed so full of airbags and safety technology that theyre the mechanical equivalent to a mother preparing her child for their first swim class and since I'm guessing you don't have a posse of kids right now (and since, as a man, you should have a f*cking sack), get something that is actually fun to drive. My suggestion: get a certified pre-owned 3-series, Audi A4 (and if you look around Boston and see the insane volume of 3-series, you'll know that they're no longer flashy) or something else that goes well, sounds good and handles. Even better, something used and semi-impractical (2000 Porsche 911 Carrera maybe...). Just get something that doesn't scream "I have no personality" like the Volvo (or an Accord for that matter).

If you're college age, your car should say "I work hard, play hard and want to get laid" not "I'm saving for un-born children's retirement right now and drink soy non-fat lattes".

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going from a Honda to a Volvo because you want something more fun to drive is misguided at best. I'd recommend an E46 BMW 330 coupe, especially if you can find a 6spd ZHP (Performance Package). Perfect balance of understated good looks, safety and reliability, and very fun to drive for someone your age. I think 2004s are in your price range with 50K miles. They are fun as hell to drive, look great, and reliability is pretty much bullet proof, especially when compared to a Volvo. Unobtrusive DSC that will step in and save your ass the one time you lose your head. They are great in bad weather and are recent enough to have head protection and side airbags. Great enthusiast network and forums that will point you to the right independent shop if you do run into any problems. Tires are expensive but don't need replacing nearly as often as the forums will suggest. If you buy a good example and take care of it you may find you it costs you nothing to enjoy it for a for years. ZHP trim affords you an interior many consider to be the best BMW has produced in the last decade. Here is the one I had a couple years ago:
zhp.jpg
It is not a particularly fast car. 0-60 in 5.6 with the manual vs. 6.3 for the S40. Closer in performance to the S60R than the S40. However, the driving experience is completely different. Try one out. Only downside is that 6-spd ZHP coupes are comparatively rare and get snapped up fast. Shouldn't be as hard to find with the Steptronic..

magnus_h

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
...It is not a particularly fast car. 0-60 in 5.6...

Err, I know this is styleforum, where everyone has at least two supercars in the garage, but a 0-60 time of five and a half seconds is "not particularly fast"?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magnus_h
Err, I know this is styleforum, where everyone has at least two supercars in the garage, but a 0-60 time of five and a half seconds is "not particularly fast"?
A 2010 automatic Toyota Camry or Honda Accord will do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. A green 335 without a sport package driven by your grandma will do 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. So, no. Also, as I said, I owned one. Lots of fun, but never that feeling of getting pushed back into your seat. The real magic is that they got (in 2004) 5.6s out of a 235hp engine that gets 28-30mpg on the highway.

sjg22

Reaction score
I never claimed they weren't reliable. I simply stated that your 20's are one of the only times in your life where you can live a little more on the edge with cars (esp. when OP specifically stated he wanted a fun car to drive) and not focus on reliability and safety. Volvos are 6.1 on the fun scale, and that's not good enough considering the other options out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads