• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the 7-Holes today. They really grow on you

Just curious if the zipper smoothens over time. Sometimes I have to pull so hard that it feels like I'll break it.

Also does anyone else have glue stains around the heel counter? Not a big deal but kinda sloppy for Visvim

How'd you size compared to vibergs or other popular brands?

John-Galt

Reaction score
Interesting. I was expecting a better experience from Riri. The metal looks like it's been treated with something. Anyone know what leaves the cloudy coating?

Regarding sizing, these fit big like the Virgil. I'm a 42 in Common Projects and took a 9.5 in the 7 Hole. The toe box is a little roomy but the throat line is very low

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they use a regular aluminum mil-spec riri zippers. The reason they slide poorly is because the zip is sewn in at a very sharp curve that follows the lacing (rather than typical straight zipper on jungle boots).

I think lipbalm is a good option to keep it smooth, but at the end of the day it is a very rigid, heavyduty zipper used in a manner slightly outside of it's intended usage.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Does anyone have problems with the throat line of the 7-Holes? After trying them on my feet are immediately fatigued. The boots almost cut off circulation to my forefoot

ZanderRosen

Reaction score
Does anyone have problems with the throat line of the 7-Holes? After trying them on my feet are immediately fatigued. The boots almost cut off circulation to my forefoot

Is it on your instep? By instep, I mean the bone on top of your foot. If so, my seven holes had some extra leather sewn into the tongue that I went in deep and trimmed off and it made breaking them in much better. Don’t know if this helps.

badeggcat

Reaction score
My 7-holes are pretty uncomfortable around the ankles when laced up tightly, especially around the zipper area. I don’t wear them that often because of that

John-Galt

Reaction score
@ZanderRosen Yep I feel tightness at the instep where the leather meets the canvass tongue. Would it be possible to stretch out this part of the shoe at the cobbler? Did breaking them in help?

I too have some additional leather but it's so thin that if feels inconsequential

ZanderRosen

Reaction score
@ZanderRosen Yep I feel tightness at the instep where the leather meets the canvass tongue. Would it be possible to stretch out this part of the shoe at the cobbler? Did breaking them in help?

I too have some additional leather but it's so thin that if feels inconsequential

Breaking in helped but cutting the tongue helped more. I had like a hot spot on my instep that I noticed the extra material on.

someone13

Reaction score
I decided to buy Whymper Boots for the winter. I have the opportunity to buy 9 or 9,5us. How they fit in comparison with the Virgils?.
9 in whymper = 9 virgil?
I know that this qestion was already discussed, and the recommendation was the tts. But here it is necessary to clarify what is the tts for you. For example, Virgil for many are not tts, and 0.5 down (tts for me). Therefore, the comparison will be more accurate.

happyvillian

Reaction score
Since the Skagway's only go down to size 8, and run half a size large, would it be safe to get the WMV version, if i'm looking for a 7.5? They look pretty similar, but just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Been wearing the 7-Holes and they're certainly breaking in. I've replaced mine to start from the 2nd eyelet to reduce tightness near the throat line.

How does everyone treat theirs? Do you spray them down? Should I be buying leather polish and cream?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, so did the brand. Now its mostly artisanal pieces that hardly anybody can afford. Couple that with Western buys sticking to more conservative items that actually sell around retail (sneakers, boots, basics) its hard to have talking points.

I mean, they literally released a silk shirt and vest which are both over 6k retail. I appreciate the craft and approach, but that isn't attainable to the every day customer. The brand is known for re-releasing popular items with different tweaks here and there, but nothing overwhelming showing up. Different variations of hakama, yukata coat, ruunpe, dugout, new hope and 101. I think the brand hit a nice niche and can afford the luxury of using up all their fabric rolls by releasing all the popular styles in new fabrics, but there isn't much to discuss.

Another thing that really irks me is the cutting on the latest (17aw, 18ss) items. The shoulders are so slim its insane. 16.5" shoulders on a size 3 (large) is ridiculous. Even the 101 was victim to the latest pattern change, with a 4 the lengths in the body were cut shorter and the armpits nearly cut off my circulation unless I wear a short sleeve tee. I understand that the brand caters towards the Asian demographic but that is such an aggressive cut, and sizing up usually causes the lengths to be off.

As far as innovation and silhouettes go, I think visvim stuff is top notch (assuming it fits correctly). Unfortunately there are several other more attainable brands that can be had at a fraction of the price.

happyvillian

Reaction score
To be honest, so did the brand. Now its mostly artisanal pieces that hardly anybody can afford. Couple that with Western buys sticking to more conservative items that actually sell around retail (sneakers, boots, basics) its hard to have talking points.

I mean, they literally released a silk shirt and vest which are both over 6k retail. I appreciate the craft and approach, but that isn't attainable to the every day customer. The brand is known for re-releasing popular items with different tweaks here and there, but nothing overwhelming showing up. Different variations of hakama, yukata coat, ruunpe, dugout, new hope and 101. I think the brand hit a nice niche and can afford the luxury of using up all their fabric rolls by releasing all the popular styles in new fabrics, but there isn't much to discuss.

Another thing that really irks me is the cutting on the latest (17aw, 18ss) items. The shoulders are so slim its insane. 16.5" shoulders on a size 3 (large) is ridiculous. Even the 101 was victim to the latest pattern change, with a 4 the lengths in the body were cut shorter and the armpits nearly cut off my circulation unless I wear a short sleeve tee. I understand that the brand caters towards the Asian demographic but that is such an aggressive cut, and sizing up usually causes the lengths to be off.

As far as innovation and silhouettes go, I think visvim stuff is top notch (assuming it fits correctly). Unfortunately there are several other more attainable brands that can be had at a fraction of the price.

Would be interested in checking some if those other said brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads