• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

asaa1000

Reaction score
To be honest, so did the brand. Now its mostly artisanal pieces that hardly anybody can afford. Couple that with Western buys sticking to more conservative items that actually sell around retail (sneakers, boots, basics) its hard to have talking points.

I mean, they literally released a silk shirt and vest which are both over 6k retail. I appreciate the craft and approach, but that isn't attainable to the every day customer. The brand is known for re-releasing popular items with different tweaks here and there, but nothing overwhelming showing up. Different variations of hakama, yukata coat, ruunpe, dugout, new hope and 101. I think the brand hit a nice niche and can afford the luxury of using up all their fabric rolls by releasing all the popular styles in new fabrics, but there isn't much to discuss.

Another thing that really irks me is the cutting on the latest (17aw, 18ss) items. The shoulders are so slim its insane. 16.5" shoulders on a size 3 (large) is ridiculous. Even the 101 was victim to the latest pattern change, with a 4 the lengths in the body were cut shorter and the armpits nearly cut off my circulation unless I wear a short sleeve tee. I understand that the brand caters towards the Asian demographic but that is such an aggressive cut, and sizing up usually causes the lengths to be off.

As far as innovation and silhouettes go, I think visvim stuff is top notch (assuming it fits correctly). Unfortunately there are several other more attainable brands that can be had at a fraction of the price.
also interested in what other more attainable brands you’re referring to.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone legit check these? Never seen them with the straps like that or with no logo in the footbed.

E22735F7-9B33-4153-B84A-C0F9CF53D1DC.jpeg

78D12215-5929-4B49-B559-564D254F3F20.jpeg

Samer

Reaction score
also interested in what other more attainable brands you’re referring to.
Chimala, Remi Relief, Yaeca, orSlow, Kapital are my other favorites. All have made items similar to Visvim pieces (vintage inspired) - but none make footwear as far as I know. Chimala denim chore jackets are incredible.

happyvillian

Reaction score
Chimala, Remi Relief, Yaeca, orSlow, Kapital are my other favorites. All have made items similar to Visvim pieces (vintage inspired) - but none make footwear as far as I know. Chimala denim chore jackets are incredible.
Great list! Haven't heard of Yaeca before :D

Also adding a few not mentioned (mainly for the indigo dye / boro patchwork look):
FDMTL
Dr Collectors
Porter Classic
Blue Blue Japan
45rpm

Not totally in line with the Visvim aesthetic, but bordering on the the outdoors-y / military vibe:
Wtaps
Nonnative
Neighborhood

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chimala and orslow are great brands

happyvillian

Reaction score
None in my size :(

Are there just limited sizes or do they just sell out that quick?

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice didn't realize you posted the fit here too lol. What size do you take in kilgore out of curiosity? Thinking of picking one up

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 in all my Visvim tops but they’re all older. The wizard @Fycus said they’ve made the shoulders more narrow.

Wearing my 101 today.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kilgore hasn't been made in another iteration other than the kyoto limited release since they updated the sizing, you're probably safe if you pick up a kilgore. They are indeed slimmer on almost all models now.

happyvillian

Reaction score
Anyone here have tips/recommendations on care for your Virgils in horsehide? I believe Visvim had a shoe care kit, but that's not always available, and i'd assume there's plenty of great alternatives out there.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The visvim kits are made by another company and just re-branded as visvim. I forget the name of the company but I’m sure others remember. You should be able to buy the new actual products and save a ton of money too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads