• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do these run size-wise? What sizes do you wear in other non-sneaker SF brands?

They run more true to Brannock I believe. The size 9 Virgils fit me spot on. I wear a size 8D in Alden Barrie, 8 in Viberg 2030, 8.5D in most Allen Edmonds, Size 41 in Common Projects, 42 in MMM, 41 in Buttero, 9.5 in Nikes/Adidas/New Balance for some comparisons. I'm preparing to list them so if you would like some pics, drop me a PM.

Civilist

Reaction score
it's funny, i wore my virgils for the first time over the weekend and had two random dudes approach me to ask where i got my boots

happyvillian

Reaction score
Looking for a little help finding some jeans. Anyone here know any stockists with the Social Sculpture 10 DMGD - 12 in stock?

Specifically looking for size 36w 28L. No luck at Notre, Union, Havenshop.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the whole Visvim scene and especially new to dropping over 1k on shoes. I'm drooling over the suede Virgils but had some questions before I bite the bullet.

I'm not a fan of the horsehind and truly love the look of the suede. Can I ask how the veg tan elk suede ages? Naturally, when spending so much I want to ensure longevity. I don't mind wearing them in but curious if the leather gets really soft over time or whether I can expect severe discolouration.

I see on the Haven website, the suede is known for its "elemental repulsion". Are these boots naturally water resistant? Can I wear these in the light rain? If so, would they warp the last?

Finally should I size down half a size for a snug fit to compensate for stretch? Thanks so much in advance.

happyvillian

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the whole Visvim scene and especially new to dropping over 1k on shoes. I'm drooling over the suede Virgils but had some questions before I bite the bullet.

I'm not a fan of the horsehind and truly love the look of the suede. Can I ask how the veg tan elk suede ages? Naturally, when spending so much I want to ensure longevity. I don't mind wearing them in but curious if the leather gets really soft over time or whether I can expect severe discolouration.

I see on the Haven website, the suede is known for its "elemental repulsion". Are these boots naturally water resistant? Can I wear these in the light rain? If so, would they warp the last?

Finally should I size down half a size for a snug fit to compensate for stretch? Thanks so much in advance.

Wearing them now as I type this! I've got the sand suede Virgils from last season. I've can safely say that these get put on heavy rotation. Very comfortable and so far are aging well. I brush the suede every so often to take off the dirt, and use a gum eraser on the sole to clean it up.

I can't really speak much to water repellence because I try to keep them out of the rain as much as possible, but i'd imagine they'd do fine in a drizzle.

Size wise, i've usually stayed TTS from my brannock for Virgils and FBTs.

IMG_1402.JPG

Note: It'll pick up denim stains.

someone13

Reaction score

I have a pair in black. I also like suede, but as a universal shoe they are not very suitable, in my opinion. Smooth skin is much more practical, not afraid of moisture, and it is easy to clean.
Otherwise, these are nice boots. The elk's suede is thick and strong, cow leather lining, the sole is easy to replace.
I would not recommend wearing them in the rain, although you do not get wet. The color will gradually fade, it is a matter of time and intensity of use. Regarding the size - someone stays TTS, someone 0,5 down. Better to try before buying.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the response guys. At the suggestion of @OccultaVexillum I got the 7-Holes. Thanks for the tip.

To be honest I think the Suede Sand Virgils look nicer but for my first boot I want something more hardwearing.

I usually wear a lot of Arc'teryx Veilance and think the 7-Holes will fit nicely. Just getting into Vis, and I'm already enamoured. I like how there is so much editorial coverage on the techniques behind each piece. Part of my wishes more brand would adopt this approach. I'm not particularly interested in indigo hank dying but it's sure as hell fun to read and nerd over. You'd think more technical brands like Veilance and Acronym would publish more given the plethora of content to talk about.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried on or own the Ruunpe Coat? TTS? Looked for older posts and wasn’t sure if maybe
@gtransistor has one?

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 7 hole and virgil in the same size and can compare side to side? Read a few pages back and it seems like general consensus is size down 0.5 on 7 hole compared to virgil

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried on or own the Ruunpe Coat? TTS? Looked for older posts and wasn’t sure if maybe
@gtransistor has one?

I own, its more or less TTS but shoulders are very slim. I'd love to try a size 4 but they are hard to come across. I can wear a hoodie under mine no problem, but again its a touch snug in the shoulders. If you have an Asiatic build you should be fine.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Fycus
Thanks a lot!

Long shot, anyone have the Christos in medium and be willing to measure the length of them? Or know where to find accurate (haha, I know) measurements?

John-Galt

Reaction score
Got the 7-Holes today. They really grow on you

Just curious if the zipper smoothens over time. Sometimes I have to pull so hard that it feels like I'll break it.

Also does anyone else have glue stains around the heel counter? Not a big deal but kinda sloppy for Visvim

Mon Dieu

Reaction score
Just curious if the zipper smoothens over time.

Have same issue, been treating it by working small amount lip balm into the channel and running the zipper up and down..
It's working lol
Have never had issues with zippers on boots/shoes except for Vis.
Other wise great boot, lighter then bergs and dig boots which have canvas uppers (OAMC, MF Trooper etc) in warmer climes

Enjoy

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
My 73 folks zipper is always getting stuck and its about four years old. So in my experience, no the zipper does not get any better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads