• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is sizing on the Dotera (padded) coat?

Is the Dotera a foundational Visvim piece for someone who is building a small selection of Visvim pieces?
I'm actually eyeing one right now, its the polyester fill version but it's full set and a good price. It fits like a sanjuro so the drop sleeves will be short, it's a bit longer in length, but overall you treat it like a vest. If you are big in the chest I'd size up one.

Not sure if it's something I would think most visvim fans would actually have. It's quite an expensive piece even used. Overall having some kind of kimono/Haori inspired piece is a signature look of the brand. so whether that's a lhamo shirt, noragi or sanjuro, having one would be something I'd thing every decent Visvim collection should have.
I have the Down Jacket and Mil Coat and they fit narrow on the soldiers like

They fit slightly narrower on the shoulders so if you’re more muscular or bigger chest, you may want to size up,

I have the MIL coat from 2 years ago and the down jacket. The down jacket is a winter staple.
So I received the Dotera Mil. I took my typical Visvim size and the same size as the Lhamo Mil shirt, which fits well.

As noted by you guys, the (padded) Dotera Mil runs narrow in the shoulders and I am wondering if it is too small. It fits well otherwise (length, sleeves, waist area), but I feel constrained in the shoulders.

From the outside, it looks fine so I think it is the correct size, but perhaps not the best shape for me. Now I remember why I took a break from looking at Visvim clothing a few years ago: the shoulders were always a bit too narrow.

In any case, I have a couple of days to decide whether to keep or return to the retailer.

Very good chance that I will return so I am happy to offer the Dotera at my cost ($1,050 shipped within CONUS; international shipping, TBD) to anyone looking. It is this coat in a size 4:
0119105013005_KHAKI_01.jpg

Last edited:

bbhewee

Reaction score
There are collectors. And then there are people like Luca.
Taken from this article

Attachments

• B829654C-69E2-44B1-AD04-4A4F0AB94558.jpeg
    B829654C-69E2-44B1-AD04-4A4F0AB94558.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 72

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the amount of Vis boxes in that picture! ?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As noted by you guys, the (padded) Dotera Mil runs narrow in the shoulders and I am wondering if it is too small. It fits well otherwise (length, sleeves, waist area), but I feel constrained in the shoulders.

From the outside, it looks fine so I think it is the correct size, but perhaps not the best shape for me. Now I remember why I took a break from looking at Visvim clothing a few years ago: the shoulders were always a bit too narrow.

If its any consolation, Visvim has moved away from that old pattern which had insanely restricting shoulders and has moved to a more forgiving cut. I had the same issue with the dotera. At the first release, I sized 3 figuring it was semi oversized and could barely move. I also sized up to a 4 and it was still constricting. I gave up on the brand when I realized sizing up 1-2x made it fit poorly elsewhere, but have renewed interest since they started updating the cut 19ss. If anything, give the more recent stuff a shot and you might find the changes were for the better

bbhewee

Reaction score
G Reservation... I remember those.

Retlas

Reaction score
i still have a pair of G Reservation camo fbt's somewhere... when they were made in Korea

bbhewee

Reaction score
I had an Elk pair. Unless I’m wrong, G Reservations were also the only 12s around for a while.

m.ello

Reaction score
Green ICT giffords next week are pretty man
1614267169922.png

Retlas

Reaction score
did anyone pick up the current version of the gifford? They always looked wide at the base of leg.

simcol

Reaction score
So, quick query for those with more knowledge than me. What does "fluxus" actually represent. That is, why should I buy a fluxus pair of Vis cords rather than a non-Fluxus labelled pair. Anything particularly special about a fluxus pair of pants, or is it just a matter of branding? Thanks, brothers.

m.ello

Reaction score
did anyone pick up the current version of the gifford? They always looked wide at the base of leg.

I don't own but I know it's about a 9 inch leg opening. Not too wide for me but I like baggy pants

pastrystar23

Reaction score
So, quick query for those with more knowledge than me. What does "fluxus" actually represent. That is, why should I buy a fluxus pair of Vis cords rather than a non-Fluxus labelled pair. Anything particularly special about a fluxus pair of pants, or is it just a matter of branding? Thanks, brothers.

Fluxus is in reference to the cut, it goes from 00 to 12 or 13? (some are womens sizes and some can be chinos or cords and the denim has its own classifications) with different Damage finshes in between, some cuts have been discontinued or replaced with another cut over the years. Gifford pants for example are not fluxus, they are a stand alone model if you will. There is nothing particularly special about fluxus in terms of quality, it's all mainline Vis. It also makes for great flux capacitor fuel :)

Last edited:

pastrystar23

Reaction score
old vis is kinda crappy though, aint it? Especially the G unit or whatever it is that was just for the N america market
yeah, the footwear certainly was still in its infancy. but even back then compared to what was being made, they stood out for their quality and design. I find the clothing to be just as well made then as it is now; of course, everything has gotten better over the seasons, but the thing I like is how silhouettes are maintained but just updated with better materials and build and small details. G reservation was north america exclusive and some of the items from that period ('05-'09) are highly sought after, especially the camo nomad/townsend and backpacks. (the few stores that had Vis accounts back then seldom carried the clothes and when they did, they sold out right away.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads