• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

visveem

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Headed to Tokyo soon and am looking for shopping suggestions and even tips! Been a huge fan of Visvim for about a decade so this will be surreal. I searched online and know Visvim doesn't offer tax refunds anymore and Kapital is a hit/ miss with it.

Anything helps – thanks!

_Taisho

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Headed to Tokyo soon and am looking for shopping suggestions and even tips! Been a huge fan of Visvim for about a decade so this will be surreal. I searched online and know Visvim doesn't offer tax refunds anymore and Kapital is a hit/ miss with it.

Anything helps – thanks!
Heads up, not much to buy in any vis stores since proxies and vips pretty much bought everything thats desirableb but do enjoy the no music museum like atmosphere/interior; watch the documentary of the General store's gardening before u go; talk to staffs etc

norigim

Reaction score
Is proxying still bad? I know the headquarters has been cracking down on it aggressively, even the trunk show was affected where if you ordered different sizes across items HQ may cancel your order.

norigim

Reaction score
You can queue. They used to have some rules on queueing (wearing X number of Visvim items) but not sure what the current rules are. I'm also no longer sure what the release schedule is currently, but it used to be FIL on Wednesday and Gyre on Saturday.

wmvisvim

Reaction score
here is 24fw it lines

couldn't include the Kogan jacket because I didn't have a picture

Attachments

• IMG_5690.png
    IMG_5690.png
    528.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5689.png
    IMG_5689.png
    398 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5691.png
    IMG_5691.png
    516.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5685.png
    IMG_5685.png
    425.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5686.png
    IMG_5686.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5687.png
    IMG_5687.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5682.png
    IMG_5682.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5683.png
    IMG_5683.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5684.png
    IMG_5684.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5679.png
    IMG_5679.png
    482 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5680.png
    IMG_5680.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5681.png
    IMG_5681.png
    466.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

shopsecondhandvisvim

Reaction score
Anyone have recs for cobblers in the US for vis footwear? Ideally one I can ship to. Need a cracked TPU heel support replaced with leather, and a resole for a crepe sneaker. Lmk!

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I find Visvim’s retail strategy to be perplexing. The stores are always so sparsely stocked with merchandise, I can’t imagine they’re satisfying places to visit for anybody. I’ve been to four stores and each is the same experience: large, nicely done space with a minimal number of basics, footwear, and a few random jackets nobody has cared to buy available in the store.

Who are these spaces for?

If they just want a showroom for trunk shows and release dates, why are there like 8 different stores in Tokyo?

If it’s intended to be an “on-ramp” for new people to learn about the brand, why don’t they maintain a more compelling representation of what they produce? They could simply have one display piece for customers to see, touch, and understand what makes the brand unique.

Anyways, visit one store in Tokyo and call it good. The Nakameguro store has a nice layout and garden, but again there’s like 17 items for sale, so don’t expect to buy much.

Retlas

Reaction score
i remember my first experience of FIL in Hong Kong was like that... nice pieces but absolutely nothing for sale (a few size 1 items only).. all footwear sold out, but the store was incredible.
It definitely was a jump off point

_Taisho

Reaction score
I find Visvim’s retail strategy to be perplexing. The stores are always so sparsely stocked with merchandise, I can’t imagine they’re satisfying places to visit for anybody. I’ve been to four stores and each is the same experience: large, nicely done space with a minimal number of basics, footwear, and a few random jackets nobody has cared to buy available in the store.

If they just want a showroom for trunk shows and release dates, why are there like 8 different stores in Tokyo?

If it’s intended to be an “on-ramp” for new people to learn about the brand, why don’t they maintain a more compelling representation of what they produce? They could simply have one display piece for customers to see, touch, and understand what makes the brand unique.

Anyways, visit one store in Tokyo and call it good. The Nakameguro store has a nice layout and garden, but again there’s like 17 items for sale, so don’t expect to buy much.
Youre complaining about a aftermath of a brand that sells 80% desirable items and 20% not so desirable item. The supply simply could not meet the demand. Its like complaining about going to a Supreme store in 2016 (whenever the peak was) and not able to buy/see things u want and wonder why they have multiple stores world wide. Im not sure if they need to be more compelling representation of their products lollll its already selling out before costumers even touch it. Again, this phenomenon doesnt only happen to visvim and ppl has been told not to have high expectations when visiting stores but does that stop Hiroki from openning physical shops that shares his philosophy of designs thru spaces not only thru appearals. If the brand can offer something others couldnt, it will find its own costumers so if one could care any less then vis not not for them. Hate the game.

tracytt

Reaction score
Imo you can't expect proxy to die when JP retail is like at least 40% off US retail. Like if I can items from local stores with only 10-20% higher price, sure I will buy from local and enjoy the benefits of actually trying on the stuff before paying. I understand there are things like import duties and all that stuff, but this almost 50% markup couldn't just be all import duties right? Or is it just how much that import duty is?

norigim

Reaction score

The stores generally do tend to have reasonable stock on drop day, it just sells out quick through a mix of holds for vip customers who didn't order a particular item during trunk show and/or people that actually wait in line and buy up all the stuff. TBH, I don't really understand the criteria for who gets access to the trunk show or not as I would assume that everyone who waits in line buys a decent amount of the merchandise. Another aspect of the current lack of inventory is that they seem to be very conservative ramping up after Covid. During covid, the stores had way too much inventory and I feel like proxies got really bad during that time because they were the only people buying at significant volume.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
The stores generally do tend to have reasonable stock on drop day, it just sells out quick through a mix of holds for vip customers who didn't order a particular item during trunk show and/or people that actually wait in line and buy up all the stuff. TBH, I don't really understand the criteria for who gets access to the trunk show or not as I would assume that everyone who waits in line buys a decent amount of the merchandise. Another aspect of the current lack of inventory is that they seem to be very conservative ramping up after Covid. During covid, the stores had way too much inventory and I feel like proxies got really bad during that time because they were the only people buying at significant volume.
Yeah, I don’t fault the brand for items selling out or prioritizing frequent customers.

My issue is each store has limited merchandise because Visvim’s inventory is fragmented across multiple stores, which are located in redundant or random places.

For example, they have a store in Kyoto and Nagoya, which are only ~20 minutes apart by bullet train. There’s also stores in small towns like Kanazawa, Santa Fe, or Carmel. And again, there are six stores in Tokyo, all within ~30 minutes of one another.

Instead of having numerous stores with sparse inventory, why not have a few stores with a holistic representation of the brand and a great in-store shopping experience?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads