• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@M635Guy is absolutely right, Japan has an incredible selection of pencils. And pens and mechanical pencils and everything else worth collecting. On a recent trip there I bought this pen and pencil set, with the bodies made from old whiskey barrels:
IMG_9585.JPG

They're on US Amazon actually at very reasonable prices.
But my favorite mechanical pencil is this thrifted vintage Schaefer, the lead is wide at 1mm and it's very expressive with soft lead. The pen next to it is a thrifted vintage Cross that I use a lot, too. These were in a grab bag with a bunch of others for peanuts.
IMG_9586.JPG

But my favorite thrifted pen is this Montblanc 220 which was tucked inside a $0.99 bison leather checkbook cover. Complete with cartridge filler and writes like a dream.
fullsizeoutput_1e68.jpeg

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I've also been a vintage pencil collector in the not so distant past. I stopped accumulating more when I figured I had more than I would use the rest of my life (and I use them daily). The quality of 50-100 year old pencils is astounding compared to today's Chinese-made garbage pencils.
I have to ask - where does one find 100-year-old pencils and how much do they cost?

FWIW, Japan still has a healthy love of pencils, and (I'm sure you're already aware) you can find fine examples in art supply stores (real ones like Blick, etc.)
I've found stuff on eBay, at thrift stores, garage sales and quite a few at estate sales. The really old stuff (say, pre-1920) is about gone at this point, but 1930s-60s pencils are not terribly hard to find or expensive. I belong to a couple Facebook pencil collectors groups, and we trade back and forth.

Wait, this is a real thing? I though you were pulling my leg? Now I gotta search about antique and vintage pencils. I want to know more.

1de.gif

EdT

Reaction score
Wait, this is a real thing? I though you were pulling my leg? Now I gotta search about antique and vintage pencils. I want to know more.

1de.gif

Never knew people collected mechnical pencils, I have a 1935 18K Waterman pencil which is very ornate, don't know much about it since I only collect and use fountain pens. Looks something close to this:

Attachments

• waterman-set-vine-gf-lec16.jpg
    waterman-set-vine-gf-lec16.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

right_hook

Reaction score
Btw, usually I'm the one who doesn't like offtopic chats in the forum threads. But this one is a rare example when people can discuss different topics and it feels natural and engaging. It feels more like a group of internet pals of different ages who share very interesting and valuable info information, sometimes on really unexpected topics.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve does a full rebuild of a Yuma:

I watched the whole thing. Very interesting.

I hadn't realized that on the Yumas, like moccasins, the piece of cordovan went all the way around the bottom of the shoe.

I think I'll get mine out and fondle brush them a bit.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Last edited:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads