• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm that it’s shell cordovan? The model number is 373031.
Thank you.

I only have 1 other pair of shell (AE MacNeil). As the Florsheim are NOS, I can only compare by touch and visual inspection. The Florsheim feel like shell to me.

@davidVC commented previously on this pair. They were part of a custom order. David would doubt someone would make such an order and not go for shell.

To be clear, there are no other markings on the original box, or shoe, to indicate shell.

My opinion is just that.

Wishing you all a new year filled with peace, health, and new vintage shoes.

davec737

Reaction score
Thoughts on Freeman Flex shoes? bought a pair of wingtips from ebay, the sole is amazing soft (and flexible) but feels fragile (I get that this is how they can bend) leather is decent and has an interesting grain but shoe has nothing on the tanklike gunboats.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Freeman Flex shoes? bought a pair of wingtips from ebay, the sole is amazing soft (and flexible) but feels fragile (I get that this is how they can bend) leather is decent and has an interesting grain but shoe has nothing on the tanklike gunboats.

I've found 4 or 5 pairs of Freeman shoes in the thrift stores. The uppers have generally been in good condition but in all cases the forefoot of the soles had big soft spots so I left them. I'm sure that has something to do with the lighter more flexible sole.

tenfingers

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea who the maker on these shoes is? I picked them up at a consignment shop in Maine a while back. The Brooks Bros. shoe trees came with them but were added by the shop and don't necessarily mean anything. The only markings inside are "Bench Made in England" and a very faded code/size stamp...

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All of the Freeflex line shoes I’ve seen have been from after Freeman’s quality was declining. I believe they started using it in the 1970s

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's time for a shoe reshaping follow up! As you may recall, I received a pair of Florsheims I intend to use in a resole project to add white wlet stitching and natural edge. They arrived with more than their fair share of creases. Apparently this Florsheim owner had never heard of shoe trees. I cleaned them a bit and put them through the water reshaping process described in the vcleat.com blog.

IMG_2523.jpg

The uppers were in otherwise good condition. But after starting the water reshaping I found a short crack (cut?) about 1/2 inch in length. I bought a pair of those magnifying lenses that come in a hood to wear on your head and after close inspection I determined it did not go all the way through the leather. I eventually sealed it with Feiberg's leather glue after several rounds of leather lotion and Bick 4. Finally I polished with AE black polish in the tube and some black Collonil. Here is the final result without shoe trees.

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

A final note: David describes using a heat gun in the blog post and mentions to use it 18 inches away from the shoes. I now can second that recommendation. Heat guns are really hot and it can damage the leather if held too closely.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's time for a shoe reshaping follow up! As you may recall, I received a pair of Florsheims I intend to use in a resole project to add white wlet stitching and natural edge. They arrived with more than their fair share of creases. Apparently this Florsheim owner had never heard of shoe trees. I cleaned them a bit and put them through the water reshaping process described in the vcleat.com blog.

View attachment 899755

The uppers were in otherwise good condition. But after starting the water reshaping I found a short crack (cut?) about 1/2 inch in length. I bought a pair of those magnifying lenses that come in a hood to wear on your head and after close inspection I determined it did not go all the way through the leather. I eventually sealed it with Feiberg's leather glue after several rounds of leather lotion and Bick 4. Finally I polished with AE black polish in the tube and some black Collonil. Here is the final result without shoe trees.

View attachment 899759
View attachment 899760
A final note: David describes using a heat gun in the blog post and mentions to use it 18 inches away from the shoes. I now can second that recommendation. Heat guns are really hot and it can damage the leather if held too closely.

You and David are magicians with shoes. Question, why not just let Steve at Bedos do all the work? Granted, this is fun and good way to avoid spending time with annoying family during holiday season. Hope everyone enjoys 2018.

tenfingers

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't confirrm 100%. But that narrow, tappered "waist" on the sole remindss me a lot of Lobbs.

Well, comparing them to a pair of Lobb loafers I have I do see the similarity for sure. They would have had to have been made for a US Client to resell though, since they're marked with a US size.

In any event, well worth the $50 I paid for them, no matter who bench made them in England.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You and David are magicians with shoes. Question, why not just let Steve at Bedos do all the work? Granted, this is fun and good way to avoid spending time with annoying family during holiday season. Hope everyone enjoys 2018.

Thanks. Frankly, I do not know what Steve would do or not do in addition to the resole job. (Or what it would cost). I also wanted to give him the best possible shoes as a starting point.

I always want to learn and was waiting for a pair of shoes to reshape after reading the blog post on the procedure. I learned a lot in the process and now this opens up my level of acceptance of other vintage shoes I may purchase. I would pass on some that needed reshaping and now those can also be considered. And importantly, it is fun to see the changes. I think those turned out very well for the $50 I spent on the pair, which includes shipping. So, for $35 shoes, they are a good bargain and could have been worn without any additional changes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads