• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My maiden voyage with a pair of LB Sheppard shell LWB I recently picked up. I’ve done only a minimal amount of cleaning and conditioning.

There is a lot of residual polish that I haven’t taken the time to remove. A couple rounds of saddle soap, which was still turning burgundy with excess polish. And a quick round of neatsfoot oil to add some moisture. The shell is in pretty good shape and not showing any signs of dryness.

View attachment 2164321

View attachment 2164323
Acetone will remove the polish. I use it in shell all the time. The color is quite resilient. Having said that, they look really good.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is wax bad? Working on a variety of shoes and it occurred to me ‘When they’re gone, they’re gone!’ Won’t see these again.
So I’ve read conflicting things on wax. I use polish. Should I use wax or not?
(AE jodhpurs, 1944 plain toe, Florsheim 92604 and spot on carpet from some shoe product spill). Thanks
IMG_1106.jpeg

actionjbone

Reaction score
Is wax bad? Working on a variety of shoes and it occurred to me ‘When they’re gone, they’re gone!’ Won’t see these again.
So I’ve read conflicting things on wax. I use polish. Should I use wax or not?
(AE jodhpurs, 1944 plain toe, Florsheim 92604 and spot on carpet from some shoe product spill). Thanks
View attachment 2164499
The problem with wax is that it forms a rigid coating. So in creases and in folds, it'll crack and flake.

Also, over time, wax layers build up and prevent the leather from breathing.

Creams are better for the leather. And many creams include ingredients to help the leather remain softer and more flexible.

Wax is best used sparingly, and on spots that don't flex; e.g., the tips of the toes and the lower back of the heel. You only need very little to make a brilliant shine, and no flex = no cracks.

Also, I do my work over wood floors. Much easier to clean up spills! 🤣

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday brings out one of my favourite pairs. A cobbler rebuilt these Mason Executive Imperials with house leather soles, toe taps, raptor sole protectors, and cat paw heels.

Matched with a watch I've owned since the 90s.

20240410_073502.jpg
20240410_073511.jpg
20240410_073515.jpg
20240410_095729.jpg
20240410_095716.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score
Broke out the 93602's today.

Last time wearing them until they get new heels - the factory V-cleat heels are now worn down to the stack.

IMG_20240410_170730843_HDR.jpg

I just found out that a silver trophy-winning cobbler is super close to my house, so I might go to him for new heels. Just to check out his work.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke out the 93602's today.

Last time wearing them until they get new heels - the factory V-cleat heels are now worn down to the stack.

View attachment 2164727

I just found out that a silver trophy-winning cobbler is super close to my house, so I might go to him for new heels. Just to check out his work.
Which cobbler are you close to??? Man, this is getting me excited.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Which cobbler are you close to??? Man, this is getting me excited.
Master Shoe Repair.

I never seek out places with names like that... But now I know he's an SSIA award winner, so why not try it?

o.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with wax is that it forms a rigid coating. So in creases and in folds, it'll crack and flake.

Also, over time, wax layers build up and prevent the leather from breathing.

Creams are better for the leather. And many creams include ingredients to help the leather remain softer and more flexible.

Wax is best used sparingly, and on spots that don't flex; e.g., the tips of the toes and the lower back of the heel. You only need very little to make a brilliant shine, and no flex = no cracks.

Also, I do my work over wood floors. Much easier to clean up spills! 🤣
+1 to all of this. I do put a very light coat - and I mean light - of wax on my shell shoes. I apply and buff with my bare fingers. I use wax on the toes of a few pairs. Again, I go light and only on the toes.

Satoman1

Reaction score

Satoman1

Reaction score
Vintage violation.
Picked this pair of Florsheim Duckie Brown today. Fine replacement for 93633 I think.
20240411_151038_HDR.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Master Shoe Repair.

I never seek out places with names like that... But now I know he's an SSIA award winner, so why not try it?

View attachment 2164775

As part of my footwear hobby, I also like to send off my stuff to get rebuilt. I used to strictly use SSIA award winners but have found others who do excellent work as well.

Let us know how it goes! Always happy to add more cobblers to my list for future purposes.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Made by Church's i think, in the 73 last.

Thanks - the font looked a little too neat for what i'm used to seeing from Church's hahah
I do know that McAfee was bought by them, but before that there was a connection to Crockett & Jones

Alan McAfee is the maker.

Aquascutum is a luxury clothing retailer.

Edit to add: What did you do with goatamous #1??

McAfee was the store front, but I wasn't sure if they made any of their own shoes vs. them being made by another established shoemaker with their branding

goatamous #1 has a forgotten password and is unable to recover it from Styleforum :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads