• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a Florsheim PTB kind of Sunday.

IMG_3069.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am one of those people who tries to improve my photos and lighting is important. There are windows on the left that allows morning light, a small desk lamp in front and a floor light on the right side. These give the shoes a chance to reflect light from multiple angles and look their best. The floor light has 5 levels of brightness and can look white, cool blue or warm tan.

Be careful, or you might be recruited for a second career as a shoe stylist.

VintageZealot

Reaction score
English made brown suede wingtips for Lefcourt. I don't know who made these as there's conflicting information out there, or much about the store Lefcourt other than it was a high end store located at 400 Madison Avenue.

Interestingly enough, the green velvet website has the exact same pair of shoes though I'm skeptical of the accuracy of all the information provided: https://classicshoesformen.com/the-...rt-suede-full-brogue-oxford-circa-1960-44-5d/

These look like a balmoral rather than an oxford (hard to know with how interchangeably those terms are used) which is less common for a wingtip shoe. Their low cut profile is a bit unusual as well. I think they are from around the late 1950s or early 1960s.
20230504_232310 - Copy.jpg

20230504_232409 - Copy.jpg

20230504_232807 - Copy.jpg

20230504_232503 - Copy.jpg

20230504_232634 - Copy.jpg

I don't think these are the original heels.
20230504_233133 - Copy.jpg

20230504_233610 - Copy.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How good quality were O'Sullivans?

O'Sullivan was actually the brand of the heel. They were used by multiple companies to one degree or the other, but the Mason company seemed to use them for many years. People selling used shoes on Rbay will frequently see the O'Sullivan name on the heel and assume that was the brand name of the shoe. As for Mason Imperials, the consensus is that they were a middle tier, but some guys here just love their pairs. Oddly, I have a pair of shell Mason Imperials and they did not use the O'Sullivan heel.

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 6.17.22 PM.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O'Sullivan was actually the brand of the heel. They were used by multiple companies to one degree or the other, but the Mason company seemed to use them for many years. People selling used shoes on Rbay will frequently see the O'Sullivan name on the heel and assume that was the brand name of the shoe. As for Mason Imperials, the consensus is that they were a middle tier, but some guys here just love their pairs. Oddly, I have a pair of shell Mason Imperials and they did not use the O'Sullivan heel.

View attachment 1980513

I'm one of those guys. I own 2 pairs of Mason Executive Imperials. Definitely a tier 2 brand but I enjoy wearing mine.

NewDenimBootHead

Reaction score
First wear of the new-to-me Florsheim Imperials 93602. This is my first venture into vintage shoes and I am liking how it turned out. Purchased from -bay with a cleaning with sapphir leather soap, applied two coats of Venetian Shoe Cream and then shoe polish. Seller put a lot of black polish on to hide some flaws and show off leather grain. Cleaning the burgundy-looking pair to reveal this tan LWB was a fun exercise. (I noticed color from picture of the tongue) Also, seller told me that the date of manufacture was Sept. 1980. Anyway, comments welcome and forgive me on sock choice. Monday scramble to get to work - no thought. 😅
IMG_8817.jpeg
IMG_8818.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First wear of the new-to-me Florsheim Imperials 93602. This is my first venture into vintage shoes and I am liking how it turned out. Purchased from -bay with a cleaning with sapphir leather soap, applied two coats of Venetian Shoe Cream and then shoe polish. Seller put a lot of black polish on to hide some flaws and show off leather grain. Cleaning the burgundy-looking pair to reveal this tan LWB was a fun exercise. (I noticed color from picture of the tongue) Also, seller told me that the date of manufacture was Sept. 1980. Anyway, comments welcome and forgive me on sock choice. Monday scramble to get to work - no thought. 😅 View attachment 1980795 View attachment 1980797

Welcome to the thread and the rabbit hole that is vintage shoes. Your pair looks great after the clean-up. You should also post a "before" picture from the Ebay ad if you can still find it. We love to see the transformation.

NewDenimBootHead

Reaction score
In
Welcome to the thread and the rabbit hole that is vintage shoes. Your pair looks great after the clean-up. You should also post a "before" picture from the Ebay ad if you can still find it. We love to see the transformation.
thank you for the encouragement, and the suggestion. I don’t think that I would have sought out a listing without watching this form for a manner of months. Posting pictures to this thread, does educate and encourage others who might be interested in the “hobby.“

As requested before and new pics from today:
IMG_8822.jpeg

IMG_8824.jpeg
IMG_8823.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 9

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided that this is spectator week. I’ll start with my Sanford spectators and my seersucker suit. Not particularly vintage, but I don’t think this combination is available anymore, either.

IMG_0241.jpeg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who would pay that much? :hide:

In all seriousness, I was definitely hoping to get them for less, but I wasn’t going to miss out on them. In my decade plus of collecting pre-60s shoes, I’ve never seen another pair like this.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads