• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happypebble

Reaction score
OK then, the following is only semi vintage at best but bear with me, there's something of interest here. In these photos, the pair on the right is an older pair of Allen Edmonds Nashua. The pair on the left is a Thom McAn, Chinese-made knockoff of the AE model. You'd expect the quality of the second pair to be far below that of the AE shoes, but...I'm seeing little if any difference. For example, the black leather part of the uppers looks and feels identical on both pairs. The Thoms seem to be really well constructed, better than you'd expect. Who knew?
20220130_052627.jpg
20220130_052606.jpg
20220130_052536.jpg

happypebble

Reaction score
This pair of Sears Easy Flex I posted a week or two ago, but now I've cleaned them up and replaced the crappy laces they came with, with proper flat black laces, and they are looking and feeling great. As I said earlier, if you run across a pair of Easy Flex in your size, you would do well to grab it, they're solidly built for the long run.
20220626_153302.jpg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A while back I posted on trying to strip these PC with acetone. Then my friend tried some other chemical which also failed. I gave them to my daughters friend who had left them in the closet a while. Some kind of chemical almost iridescent interaction is going on revealing a greenish tint.
84EF796D-C2A1-4B2D-AECC-1B9EB432F8E3.jpeg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen man, don't know about others, but I'm starting to get tired of your behaviour and dick swinging here. Your undoubted experience and great shoe collection cant be an excuse for such arrogance.

Its better to pay more attention to messages of other members if you wanna discuss them, especially that way

View attachment 1806833

Just chill out. Capital letters is your issue. Come on. Sheesh. Did it look like I was yellin at you? All I said was that dryness cracks on the uppers of vintage shoes is basically the end of the shoes. Why is that so bad? Heel repair? sure, but I stick by that fact. 40 year old leather that has cracked because of dryness in a Flexing area is BAD. Guy is asking about repairing it. That's REAL ADVICE. And, I'm not yelling, that's emphasis.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. Yes to EG. Sort of/not really to Peal & Co... Peal & Co stopped manufacturing in 1965, which is when Brooks bought the Peal name and used the label on any English shoes they had made for themselves. According to wiki they've sold Cheaney & Sons, Church's, Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent, and Loake under the name Peal & Co.

manufacturers.

Polo had some great shoes made from the same group of

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t posted much lately because I’ve been on vacation with the fam in Costa Rica (humble/cloaked brag? Sort of…). So it’s been crocks most of the time. I got them when they were for middle aged dads (if the shoe fits…) and now they are somehow cool.
92CEBF06-189A-4354-B763-67ABD5885CC7.jpeg

The trip has made me think about vintage shoe collecting. Most things make me think about vintage shoes. We are in a small beach town and I’m astonished at how much plastic there is on the beach. It washes in with the tide and it’s everywhere. It made me think that we are doing something good for the environment my reusing old shoes. Am I being generous in assigning virtue to our shared indulgence? Sure. But seriously, since I started collecting vintage shoes I buy about 95% of my non-underwear and non-sock clothes used. It’s partly because I can get nice clothes pretty cheap but also for environmental reasons. I spent more than an hour picking up trash while my sons played (am I virtue signaling? Absolutely). This is the haul from 10-mins.
D4C74930-9182-4885-9D8A-E599C6B2EFA4.jpeg

Let’s ignore that my family of four took a flight that dumped more carbon in the air than most people in the world will produce in a year. Let’s also keep collecting to feel like we are doing well and good.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick restoration on Ralph Lauren’s MiE shells. Brush, damp cloth, renomat, 2 coats of Lexol Neatsfoot over two days, Neutral Venetian Shoe Cream, cognac saphir cream (did not have shell cordovan brown). Sanded and applied brown edge dressing.
View attachment 1806922 View attachment 1806923 View attachment 1806924
Wow. Nice work. I was hoping you’d be terribly disappointed in how they came out and want to pass them to a brother (😉😉). Ok. I need to stop harassing you. Seriously, you did a great job on those.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t posted much lately because I’ve been on vacation with the fam in Costa Rica (humble/cloaked brag? Sort of…). So it’s been crocks most of the time. I got them when they were for middle aged dads (if the shoe fits…) and now they are somehow cool.
View attachment 1806970
The trip has made me think about vintage shoe collecting. Most things make me think about vintage shoes. We are in a small beach town and I’m astonished at how much plastic there is on the beach. It washes in with the tide and it’s everywhere. It made me think that we are doing something good for the environment my reusing old shoes. Am I being generous in assigning virtue to our shared indulgence? Sure. But seriously, since I started collecting vintage shoes I buy about 95% of my non-underwear and non-sock clothes used. It’s partly because I can get nice clothes pretty cheap but also for environmental reasons. I spent more than an hour picking up trash while my sons played (am I virtue signaling? Absolutely). This is the haul from 10-mins. View attachment 1806971
Let’s ignore that my family of four took a flight that dumped more carbon in the air than most people in the world will produce in a year. Let’s also keep collecting to feel like we are doing well and good.
Keeping it realistic

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow 13 wearers, these Hanover shell saddles are worth a look. I already have a pair of Nettletons just like them but at $40 BIN they are a good deal for someone who doesn't have a pair in this style and material.
B5006038-90CB-4B80-B465-ABB95A02DBD3.jpeg

right_hook

Reaction score
Just chill out. Capital letters is your issue. Come on. Sheesh. Did it look like I was yellin at you? All I said was that dryness cracks on the uppers of vintage shoes is basically the end of the shoes. Why is that so bad? Heel repair? sure, but I stick by that fact. 40 year old leather that has cracked because of dryness in a Flexing area is BAD. Guy is asking about repairing it. That's REAL ADVICE. And, I'm not yelling, that's emphasis.
Just bog off.
You're talking a lot and not related to a specific subject of discussion/problem. You don't pay attention to others messages. You don't try to help. You just want to show that you are smarter than others. And that only your shoes are proper vintage :)
You look pathetic constantly trying to show superiority.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bog off.
You're talking a lot and not related to a specific subject of discussion/problem. You don't pay attention to others messages. You don't try to help. You just want to show that you are smarter than others. And that only your shoes are proper vintage :)
You look pathetic constantly trying to show superiority.

May I suggest judicious use of the Ignore function?
Simply click on a person's username below their profile photo. You will get a pop-up from which you can choose to ignore a person's posts. It even blocks their words from appearing when other people quote them. It's a very handy feature of the forum.

ignore.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest judicious use of the Ignore function?
Simply click on a person's username below their profile photo. You will get a pop-up from which you can choose to ignore a person's posts. It even blocks their words from appearing when other people quote them. It's a very handy feature of the forum.

View attachment 1807041

My generous use of this function has significantly reduced my stress and bolstered my sanity. I endorse it.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I just picked up these from David's ebay sale.

He's trimming down his impractical golf shoe collection while I am stuck increasing my impractical golf shoe collection (I don't play golf).

The pair looked to nice to pass up.

1656337389897.png

I am still pondering sitting out on famous pro golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez NOS Footjoy from estate sale. Particular these NOS unwrapped Lizards.

1656337740091.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads