• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty crappy. It looks like he or she didn’t cut a channel for the stitching. I’d go with one of the many reputable cobblers who allow you to send them your shoes in the mail. @suitforcourt knows if several in the US and Canada.

EDIT: Here are some other US-based cobblers who have very good reputations:

To look for qualified local cobblers, SSIA members are generally reliable.

I have no experience with Cobblers Plus in Denver.

But their work looks really good.

For a US cobbler that I have used, and recommend, go with Brian Gavigan in Bufalo. His shop is called Sole Man. I have a review of him here on SF.

A little pricier but skilled and detail orientated.

Gene Harstock in St. Paul Minnesota is also good but slow. Hartland Shoe repair.
Here are some other US-based cobblers who have very good reputations:

Thanks for the messages and recommendations all. I’ve used Steve at Bedo’s before, I just figured that a city the size of Chicago should have one decent cobbler. I was also really looking forward to my first JR resole. I’m assuming the soles are unsightly, but not structurally compromised?

That particular cobbler came highly recommended from someone on another thread, so¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m also never going back to argue or for a refund. In addition to refusing to wear a mask when interacting with customers, you can also be treated to a screed or two on “personal freedoms”:rolleyes:

Just a disaster on so many levels...

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
It was 105F degree today so I thought why not go into the garage for some sauna and boot maintenance.

Here's my vintage boot collection.

My first vintage shoe gateway:

NOS 70s Jodhpurs from 'The Last Footwear Company' of New Zealand.
0712201837.jpg
0712201837a.jpg
0712201839.jpg

0712201839a.jpg

The other boots:

0712201804.jpg

1930-40s Florsheim Kangaroo boots.
0712201805a.jpg

70-80s Hartts' Chelsea
0712201809.jpg
0712201819.jpg

70-80s Allen Edmonds Johdpurs:
0712201822_Burst02.jpg

70s? Wright Arch Preserver Johdpurs:
0712201824a.jpg
0712201826.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages and recommendations all. I’ve used Steve at Bedo’s before, I just figured that a city the size of Chicago should have one decent cobbler. I was also really looking forward to my first JR resole. I’m assuming the soles are unsightly, but not structurally compromised?

That particular cobbler came highly recommended from someone on another thread, so¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m also never going back to argue or for a refund. In addition to refusing to wear a mask when interacting with customers, you can also be treated to a screed or two on “personal freedoms”:rolleyes:

Just a disaster on so many levels...
Structurally they’re probably fine. Next time, send them to Bedo’s, he’ll make’em like factory for you.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Structurally they’re probably fine. Next time, send them to Bedo’s, he’ll make’em like factory for you.
Ironically, this particular pair has already been to Bedo’s - had heels replaced by Steve when I first got them about 2 years ago. Soles were still solid, so I thought.

Then one day I stepped in dog ****. Got a little overzealous scraping it off with a putty knife and a divot went down to cork, precipitating the need for a full resole.

I wish I was making this up.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Gene Harstock in Minnesota

How fortuitous, his shop is 20 minutes from my house!

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was some discussion on Friday about Banister Shoes. A few years ago, a Banister decident, Eva Banister, put together a fairly exhaustive history of the brand. This is the site:

I have a couple Banister shoes from the Stetson era. High quality.

P1070791.JPG
P1180024.JPG

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was 105F degree today so I thought why not go into the garage for some sauna and boot maintenance.

Here's my vintage boot collection.

My first vintage shoe gateway:

NOS 70s Jodhpurs from 'The Last Footwear Company' of New Zealand.
View attachment 1423107 View attachment 1423108 View attachment 1423109

View attachment 1423110

The other boots:

View attachment 1423111

1930-40s Florsheim Kangaroo boots.
View attachment 1423112

70-80s Hartts' Chelsea
View attachment 1423113 View attachment 1423114

70-80s Allen Edmonds Johdpurs:
View attachment 1423115

70s? Wright Arch Preserver Johdpurs:
View attachment 1423116 View attachment 1423117
Those jodhpurs are outstanding. I have the AE St. George jodhpurs too. Mine are "aninline brown" (i.e., chili). I really like them. Now I'm on the hunt for some Wright Arch Preservers. Thanks for sharing.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Those jodhpurs are outstanding. I have the AE St. George jodhpurs too. Mine are "aninline brown" (i.e., chili). I really like them. Now I'm on the hunt for some Wright Arch Preservers. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I knew you would like those jodhpurs and was going to tag you. The leather of all those vintage boots are awesome. The leather on the AE St. George is so nice (as Mr. Fu established). I was ebay watching the brown AE St. George with beat up sole for $100 for 2 months, I thought no one would buy at that price but someone did snatch it.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went out into the world and braved the virus to pick up a new phone and pick up a few pairs from the cobbler, including my beloved Florsheim shell PTB with my first JR some conversion.

My excitement faded when I got the shoes home and checked them out closely.
View attachment 1422562 View attachment 1422563

My disappointment knows no bounds. :(
First world probalems for sure, but one cobbler to strike from the books.

At least the phone is nice.

off to Bedos next time

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How fortuitous, his shop is 20 minutes from my house!
I haven't had Gene work on any of my shoes but I have conversed with him many times. He is a good guy with a passion for shoes.

If you ever use him, let him know it's a recommendation from this website. He is not tech savvy.

A few months ago, he asked me to proxy a pair of shoes on eBay because he doesn't know how to set up en eBay account.

He also doesn't know how to send e-transfer, and doesn't have PayPal account.

I decided to gift him the shoes in lieu of trying to figure out payment.

Great guy but talkative.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically, this particular pair has already been to Bedo’s - had heels replaced by Steve when I first got them about 2 years ago. Soles were still solid, so I thought.

Then one day I stepped in dog ****. Got a little overzealous scraping it off with a putty knife and a divot went down to cork, precipitating the need for a full resole.

I wish I was making this up.

Sorry this happened. It's only funny because it did happen to me, and I was purposely using light effort to remove the dog crap I stepped in.

I used multi wet wipes, and finally dish soap applications to get it off. The dish soap was used because the smell was lingering.

After about 15 washes, the smell went away.

Can you name the cobbler so we can avoid him? I am always happy to debate personal freedoms as it's both part of my work and personal beliefs. That said, I do buy into wearing masks. But that debate is for another thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads