• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim white/ivory loafers. Shipped from Florida, exactly where you'd expect these old man shoes to be...I imagine a previous owner driving a golf cart around a FL retirement community. Wow, are these ever comfortable; lightweight without feeling cheap, and the materials seem to be good quality, with minimal wear. Leather is quite soft. These have obviously been cared for, so I will do my best to maintain them well and not trash them. Fit is correct. I guess I really am a 13D, as much as I might experiment with other sizes. They have just enough wear that I don't find myself in the "too nice to wear" dilemma. I guess I'm officially old now. Get off my lawn! View attachment 1419646 View attachment 1419647 View attachment 1419648 View attachment 1419649
I don’t think those are old man shoes. I think those are straight gangster, Tony Montana, “you asked fo da best, you gonna get da best”, put on your custom aviators and strut like a boss, shoes.

scarface.jpg

Rock ‘em like you’ve got 20 mil you gotta launder by Monday, and a hundred keys coming in from the coast.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Polo C&Js from the early 21c. The names used are Polo but are copies of the UK standard models. Mine get constant use after the application of the obligatory Topy.

They essentially were up-specced to C&J handgrade standard shoes but cleverly sold for bench grade prices in those days (like USD250).

The fit though was more American so I can wear a 10.5D US for my (usual) UK 10 feet (comfortably tight) but US11 is spot on for me.

Some of the colours (like British tan) were also factored in specifically for the US market.

One of the great buys IMHO if they are not trashed or brutalized in the last 15 years and have sat unloved in a closet.

Agree with all of this and good insights. One comment though about fit for the RL Polo branded C&J... At one point, I had a pair of shell McCallums, which are the RL/C&J chukka. It's on the 325 last but I am convinced it was a UK D width rather than a UK E. To me, relative to other 325 last shoes, they ran narrow. If you search the C&J thread there is a lot of uncertainty about sizing for US marked C&J from RL, Barneys, etc. It's a bit of a pet peeve for me since in the effort to make it less confusing for US customers they end up making it even more confusing for people that are very familiar with C&J fit.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no joke, it really is. Plus, the stuff makes your shoes smell nice.
That's one of my favorite things about them; they smell like oranges (unlike the chemical stench of other polishes).

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do interesting stuff with Polished Cobbler, once it gets to terminal stage (as it’s still PU coated, it’ll eventually not look so awesome):

If you’ve never read the saga of de-correcting the grain, here it is:

5B6ABA8E-32FD-427D-AF2E-56D4F291C76A.jpeg

A7B7D527-E7FF-4542-9CF7-7E24C0E478BB.jpeg

This is my pair of Cordwainer Wright PC where the finishing failed. Restored by Tobias Crislip at Wyatt & Dad in Durham.

Nowadays, I think most PC/CG is produced with very cheap and poor quality leather. That wasn’t the case with these or the Berwick that’s for sure. I have a new found appreciation and understanding of PC via vintage collecting.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1419736
View attachment 1419737
This is my pair of Cordwainer Wright PC where the finishing failed. Restored by Tobias Crislip at Wyatt & Dad in Durham.

Nowadays, I think most PC/CG is produced with very cheap and poor quality leather. That wasn’t the case with these or the Berwick that’s for sure. I have a new found appreciation and understanding of PC via vintage collecting.

Wow, they did a terrific job on those.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Recently snapped up a pair of black shell Macneils. I am pretty sure these meet the threshold for vintage. I suspect they've only been worn a couple times. They were a steal given the minimal wear.

These got my usual cleanup routine - wipe down, 2x bick4, 1x VSC...brushing.

20200707_112606.jpg
20200707_112543.jpg

20200707_112522.jpg

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you win it?

2018 shoe revival challenge. This is the 2020 edition:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

You're probably tired of me talking about these no-name cordovans but here is what they looked like under all the gunk. How much will colored cordovan cream subdue the fading? Thanks.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
View attachment 1419839
View attachment 1419840
You're probably tired of me talking about these no-name cordovans but here is what they looked like under all the gunk. How much will colored cordovan cream subdue the fading? Thanks.

I would strenuously recommend leaving the color alone. The color on those is gorgeous. Maybe at most just a couple of the tiny light marks on the right toe and the left vamp.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would strenuously recommend leaving the color alone. The color on those is gorgeous. Maybe at most just a couple of the tiny light marks on the right toe and the left vamp.
I don't feel strongly about changing the color. This is my first experience with cordovan. I just learned that they fade! So I'm really just asking about management practices. Is the fading kind of a badge that you've had them a while? Thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads