• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whirlwynds

Reaction score
Selling a pair of dacks kangaroo oxfords in 9d. If any interest please pm me!

IMG_4258.jpg
IMG_4254.jpg
IMG_4255.jpg
IMG_4247.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fought the zombies last week.

Tomorrow for dinner, I will be serving Salmon.

cedar-salmon-009-768x512.jpg

You will be hosting some of the greatest living minds, and all you got is salmon? At least make it organic. With a side of waygu T-bone steak. And the finest French wines paired with such proteins.

Now I have to re-assess what I will be wearing to said dinner...

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They asked for a hipster, modern chauffeur, so I went w/ 93602s in hand-stained brown. I'm driving Madam Secretary in a Tesla, so this outfit totally works. My first pair of vintage Florsheims (from @davidVC list) and the ones that got me hooked. I wore them w/ my new Revtown jeans (holy Hannah, these the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn... wow... use this link to find out more: http://rwrd.io/r9rl4w3 $10 for you; $10 for me; shameless, I know).
IMG_3534.jpeg

Last edited:

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will be hosting some of the greatest living minds, and all you got is salmon? At least make it organic. With a side of waygu T-bone steak. And the finest French wines paired with such proteins.

Now I have to re-assess what I will be wearing to said dinner...

Salmon is just the starter. Bourbon is the main course. But you can have some wine too if you wish.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking Cap Toes! Elegant and understated. When J&M made nice shoes, they were really nice! I wish they still made them like this.

@davidVC what do you think about the Crown Arisotcrafts? I thought they were high quality that almost rivaled AE and Alden. Apparently, they still have a few left.

Fantastic shoes. I recommend them.

actionjbone

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were to drive Ms. Daisy, I would go full cap toe.

940CCB0B-7503-4595-9A2B-2E54015EAF1B.jpeg

actionjbone

Reaction score
Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like stingray leather. Stingray is similar to shark, but a little more pebbled.
I have seen several pictures of stingray boots and watch straps. It’s a very unique (and awesome) look. The back of these boots don’t really look like that though.

I may take them to a Red Wing store to ask.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: Has anyone seen this sort of "crackled glass" look on old calf leather shoes, and is there much else that can be done beyond lots of Bick 4 to prevent it getting worse?
Or do I just have some cracked CG coating on my hands? It doesn't really seem like CG, but not 100% sure.

View attachment 1071009

I was looking for a pair of brown chukka boots and picked these up for cheap as beaters on rainy days. After a couple rounds of Bick 4, Saphir creme polish, and different laces they look pretty decent except for the cracked surface if you look closely.

Just out of the box:
View attachment 1071010

After cleaning:
View attachment 1071011

View attachment 1071012

View attachment 1071013

I had that happen with old, overpolished shoes (from long before I knew how to properly care for them).

A few months ago, I stripped the polish (but not the finish) with Renomat, then rubbed in black VSC followed by black Tarrago cream, and brushed like mad. Took work, but fixed the cracking.

Can't guarantee that's what's going on with yours, but looks similar.

I've seen such "cracked glass" quite a few times on vintage shoes. The problem always was old polish really almost turned into glass and cracked. In such situation I felt a need to strip the leather from old dried waxes. Pure acetone did the trick. Why such strong solution? I like that I dont have to rub too much. Just be sure to condition the leather properly after that.

Update on the John Varvatos chukka boots with the "crackled glass" toe tips.
Thanks to @actionjbone and @right_hook for suggesting it was old polish that had cracked, rather than the leather itself.

Here's what they looked like:
john-varvatos-jpg.1071009

I went at the boots aggressively with Renomat and got a bit worried that I had overdone it when they came out looking like this after drying. It was my first time using Renomat and I thought I had gone too far.

P1100798.jpg

"Crackling" still a bit visible on the toes, but this was as clean as I could get it.

P1100801.jpg

After about 4 applications of Bick 4, they were looking a bit better, but still pretty dull.

P1100807.jpg

Then applied 2 rounds of Saphir creme polish, and WOW they sure look better!

P1100820.jpg

P1100817.jpg

I think I still need to put a little work into them, but they are looking pretty good now and the crackling is unnoticeable.

The leather has an uneven "museum calf" look to it, which I always thought was pretty nice. They are indeed calf leather and not CG (passed the water drop test) and quite comfortable. The down side is that their rubber soles are worn almost smooth and I think they are possibly Blake stitched or just cemented.

Anyone know if you can put a Topy onto a rubber sole? Thinking about what I can do to get a little better traction when the floor is wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads