• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my N Hess Sons pebble grain PTB NOS.

A lesser known player on the east coast. Made in USA. Went out of business in the early 90's

View attachment 992584 View attachment 992585

Well my searching for a pebble PTB may have borne fruit! I picked these up on the bay today and took a chance based on the sole measurements alone. Why? They are bespoke and no size is listed. They are made by the Oliver Moore in NYC. They opened in 1878 and are still making shoes. Now, let's see if they fit.

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 11.07.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 11.06.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 11.07.51 AM.png

Last edited:

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you were active when I got these.

A seller on ebay had picked up 5 of the same. All NOS condition and likely never left the box/bag. Clearly a custom order as they have a specific name inside, and the heels are cat paws. Even the size is special - 8.5 eeeee. I am normally 8.5 eee and sometimes 9 eee depending on the shoe. So these fit wide.

The quintuplets were on @davidVC 's watch list, so I bid $200. They were listed at $600. The seller offered me a second pair at $150. And I thought to myself, who needs another pair of NOS Florsheim Imperial shell cordovans? I'll find another pair! For an even better price!

Fast forward 1 day after the offer, all are sold off. And now I hate myself for that stupid move.

But yes, incredible look, comfort, and quality. I sincerely doubt these shoes can ever be replicated.

The Alden 975 would be a close modern day match... for 750 bucks. I'd also say the contemporary MacNeil in Cordovan is pretty damn nice (having seen an example on Saturday, they put a lot of effort into the Cordovan model)... but again, nearly 700 bucks (550-600 if it's ever on sale). I'd say you got an incredible deal on one of the great pairs of shoes of all time.

And not to make you feel bad, but you should have bought the extra pair for $150. I mean 150 bucks for ****** shell is still a good deal. 150 for a shoe, of which a contemporary equivalent from one of the two surviving shoe companies, would cost 4+ times as much (and might not be as good and certainly wouldn't have the vintage cred). Should have bought that second pair. For 150. One hundred fifty bucks man. NOS shell Florsheim longwings for 150. And you didn't buy them? Were you high? Seriously, you done f'd my man. Don't feel too bad though... it was just a once in a lifetime opportunity.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too hot to take this photo in the sun (when wearing a blazer and such).

f7CRcEMl.jpg

Man, wearing a pair of vintage shoes that never were "high-end" makes you realize how much better the average shoe used to be (these aren't vintage Imperials or AE's). These are the weird Wolverine Hy-Test "safety" shoes I bought a few weeks ago (for $19.95 BIN). Initially I feared these would be uncomfortable, especially given the "boot" like materials. They were pretty good the first day, but after walking miles in these today, I gotta say that they took almost no time to break-in (as these had only been worn once by me and at most, one or two times prior). These are, as of right now, nearly as comfortable as the average AE pair in my collection. A genuinely good and honest pair of shoes.

These were, most likely, equivalent to a ~$150 MSRP shoe in today's money. They are so much better than the modern day equivalent, it blows my mind. The reasons are simple, the shoe is built properly, with a nice (thick) leather sole, cork interlayer (almost certainly) and properly welted construction. Todays spongy glued wonders, with all their synthetic materials simply don't work as well and whereas these fit better as you wear them, spongy glued shoes start out okay, but actually degrade pretty rapidly from a comfort standpoint. To get a shoe roughly like this today (and a safety shoe like this doesn't even exist anymore) you have to quite a bit more than what these probably originally cost.

You can still buy very nice shoes from AE, Rancourt and Alden (and non-US producers); it's the low and mid-range that has been gutted. The average consumer is wearing disposable and uncomfortable garbage. It's a damn shame, because the average consumer used to get much better shoes for their money.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
“The average consumer is wearing disposable and uncomfortable garbage. It's a damn shame, because the average consumer used to get much better shoes for their money.”

The exchange is ‘fast fashion’ that expire in desirability faster than their poor materials do.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Heel taps. The ones on the toe are called toe taps. They are nailed on and can be popped off and/or replaced.

Thank you, smfdoc. Perhaps this might be a solution for preserving original v-cleat construction, but offering a safer way to wear them on slippery ground.

And what if they made these in clear plastic? Then the vcleat could be visible and they could preserve wear and tear.

Good idea or poor one?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, smfdoc. Perhaps this might be a solution for preserving original v-cleat construction, but offering a safer way to wear them on slippery ground.

And what if they made these in clear plastic? Then the vcleat could be visible and they could preserve wear and tear.

Good idea or poor one?

Live your dream. They actually make them in clear plastic. Get them at Amazon.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads