• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing these 1960s Bostonians lately while there's still some summer left. View attachment 1221731

Nice!

Definitely something to be said for lighter weight and breathable shoes in the summer.

Although, -these- may be the ultimate breathable summer dress shoes.

i-img600x436-1565174045qb2e0c234.jpg

i-img600x739-1565174045cwt5fm234.jpg

And the maker is...

i-img600x450-1565174045m30lod234.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with dating Heinrich Dinkelacker shoes?
They've been around for 140 years, but still make shoes by hand in Hungary... and I can't find anything that hints at how to date a pair.

I'm eyeing this pair in Japan that is slightly mislabeled and reasonably priced... especially because I don't have anything like this in my collection right now. Possibly half a size large, but goyser welt stitching is really cool and the nail work on those soles -- I'm just drooling all over my keyboard!

i-img600x800-1556506520xc2cbw165.jpg

i-img600x450-1556506520ixc3cd165.jpg

i-img600x450-15565065200neupj165.jpg

i-img600x800-1556506520yylt7w165.jpg

i-img600x800-1556506520j8s1sa165.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Leeds and they fit true to size. I had 93606s and they had more volume in the forefoot, so I sold them.

Thank goodness. I will need 9eee for Leeds.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I say anything that might impact the durability of our friendship... are those JLs yours?

Hehe. No, they are not. Someone is selling them on auction in Japan right now.

They had a starting bid of $1 and are currently up to $100 with 21 bids. Ending in a day.
Sadly, UK size 8E, so too small for me.

Calling @suitforcourt ... Interested?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I know, AE won't touch the shoes if worked on by another cobbler.

Honestly, lots of skilled cobblers in North America. Where do you live? Lots of our thread brothers will have a referral. Also, most cobblers will do mail in service.
AE has no issue with 3rd party resoles, heels, etc, so long as they were done properly. What will get your shoes rejected are the following:

• Glued on soles;
  • Heel stack nailed through the insole;
  • Outsole stitched through the insole (I’m not kidding, this really happens when a cobbler only has a Blake stitcher);
  • Any modification of the insole structure;
  • Patched uppers.
Basically, if the shoe no longer comes apart the way they expect it to, or if they think it will fail relasting, they’ll reject it. Any decent cobbler should understand the minor difference in AE construction (e.g. nailless construction), and not create a problem for recrafting.

I sent in a pair with sketchy 3rd party soles and top-lift, without any issues. Generally you want to get a couple of resoles out of the welt before sending for recrafting, as that maximizes longevity (rewelting is hard on the shoe, so you generally only get 3-4 recrafts).

Below is the actual official statement from AE, on their recraft FAQ:

“Q: I've already had a pair of shoes repaired by another cobbler. Can they still be recrafted?”

“A: Depends. Because the recrafting process is exclusive to Allen Edmonds, many cobblers do not have the correct tools to reconstruct our shoes, therefore they resort to using alternative methods of resoling (such as stitching through the insoles, or driving nails through the insoles) which prevents us from being able to disassemble the shoes. Our shoes are crafted with care, that's why there is no one better to care for them than an Allen Edmonds cobbler.”

Basically, if your cobbler isn’t a clown, you’ll be fine.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They had a starting bid of $1 and are currently up to $100 with 21 bids. Ending in a day.

Too small. I need 8.5eee, at least.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been around for 140 years, but still make shoes by hand in Hungary... and I can't find anything that hints at how to date a pair.

I'm eyeing this pair in Japan that is slightly mislabeled and reasonably priced... especially because I don't have anything like this in my collection right now. Possibly half a size large, but goyser welt stitching is really cool and the nail work on those soles -- I'm just drooling all over my keyboard!

View attachment 1221902

View attachment 1221903

View attachment 1221904

View attachment 1221905

View attachment 1221906
Those are freakin cool.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Oh good. In that case...

I have a pair of old Cole Haans in great shape that I was thinking about converting into lawn mowing shoes. If any of you guys are interested just let me know. Cut the tongue and you'll have 90% of the JL for a bargain price. Ok maybe less than 90% due to the fake welt.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
From what I know, AE won't touch the shoes if worked on by another cobbler.

Honestly, lots of skilled cobblers in North America. Where do you live? Lots of our thread brothers will have a referral. Also, most cobblers will do mail in service.

Ooops, missed this earlier. Thanks for replying. I am pretty sure AE will recraft these and I just might do it when the time comes since I like them. These were seconds or closeouts or something from around 6 or so years ago. I've got this mental thing about spending as much on a resole as I paid for the shoe. However, I actually really like these shoes and obviously I am preaching to the wrong choir here, lol. I've got some other issues with this pair as well. Some of the stitching on one of the heel counters is eventually going to give up the ghost. Ah well... anyway...

This is what they looked like before the cobbler *********** pooch on the work, in case anyone is curious. Please try your best to ignore the mismatched trees and the bad bow. I took all kinds of crap about it last time I posted this photo.

Elgin

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1221902

View attachment 1221903

View attachment 1221904

View attachment 1221905

View attachment 1221906

Now these are pretty cool. HD shoes are pretty wild. I find some of them to be just a bit too busy (for me) since they are often really heavily brogued with the norwegian welt. I do think they are unique and interesting though. No idea how old they are or how to date them but, if I recall correctly, the soles look fairly consistent with how they currently look. My guess is that they are not all that old but I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads