• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, that lithium-7 fused pretty well and their big boom was a LOT bigger than expected... THREE TIMES bigger as it turned out. FIFTEEN, not five, megatons was the bombs actual yield.

It’s funny how new science is arrived at. We went to the Wright Brothers monument over summer break a couple weeks back, and their big breakthrough came when they spent the off-season in their bike store with a homemade wind tunnel and airfoils methodically testing lift and drag because their plane wasn’t performing as expected.

It turns out that the then accepted lift coefficient (0.05) was wrong. They recalculated a more accurate figure (0.033) and determined which wing shape had the best combination of most lift and least drag, and — voila! — flew at Kitty Hawk that next year.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like @davidVC recommends a 33% glycerin solution. That would require 1.65 gallons of glycerin per 5 gallon bucket.

Has anyone experimented with other solutions? Using less glycerin would be more cost effective. Would a 25% solution work?

On a separate topical thread (using glycerin in homemade cosmetics) someone mentioned that products have to be at least 50% glycerin to maintain anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties.

I think that is one of my concerns. I’d rather not create a bucket of bacteria. Perhaps the addition of cosmetics preservatives would be advised (skin is skin, right?).

I think @davidVC got much of the glycerine information based on the leather restoration techniques used at the Smithsonian. You may check around and see if they use any other methods in their restoration projects for the museum.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like @davidVC recommends a 33% glycerin solution. That would require 1.65 gallons of glycerin per 5 gallon bucket.

Has anyone experimented with other solutions? Using less glycerin would be more cost effective. Would a 25% solution work?

On a separate topical thread (using glycerin in homemade cosmetics) someone mentioned that products have to be at least 50% glycerin to maintain anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties.

I think that is one of my concerns. I’d rather not create a bucket of bacteria. Perhaps the addition of cosmetics preservatives would be advised (skin is skin, right?).
Oh wow, preservatives... this is serious bidness.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s funny how new science is arrived at. We went to the Wright Brothers monument over summer break a couple weeks back, and their big breakthrough came when they spent the off-season in their bike store with a homemade wind tunnel and airfoils methodically testing lift and drag because their plane wasn’t performing as expected.

It turns out that the then accepted lift coefficient (0.05) was wrong. They recalculated a more accurate figure (0.033) and determined which wing shape had the best combination of most lift and least drag, and — voila! — flew at Kitty Hawk that next year.
They also used a lot of bicycle parts on the first plane - if you're ever in the Smithsonian take a look - there's also one hanging in the lobby of Hiller Aviation Museum near SFO. Looking up you can see bike sprockets pulling what look like bicycle chains from the engine to the propellers. From the Smithsonian website:
In designing their airplane, the Wrights drew upon a number of bicycle concepts:
The central importance of balance and control.
The need for strong but lightweight structures.
The chain-and-sprocket transmission system for propulsion.
Concerns regarding wind resistance and aerodynamic shape of the operator.
My bikes: Trek Madone Alberto Contador edition with 49/35 compact gears up front for climbing.
D1BF6DAC-2C2D-4D81-882C-19FAF2A5FE4D.jpeg

Bought it while my Colnago 6AL/4V titanium Ovalmaster was in the shop getting welded. After 30,000 miles of carrying my 230lb. body weight around it had developed a tiny crack.
F0CF76A2-4ABF-4F77-99E7-5B864EA1A3B0.jpeg

The repair only cost $50! I bought this bike in Italy back in 2000 while on a training camp ritiro (spring training for cycling teams) with Tour of Italy winner Andy Hampsten in the Maremma region of Southern Tuscany
189B1057-A19E-4AE7-8FEE-C51AC5B46618.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meet Zack. At age 14 he decided to burn his jeans and only wear vintage or period clothes. Now at 25 he works as a bespoke tailor who makes period clothing. The story at the link says his reception is generally very good and he has even received offers of marriage. No mention of what he does for shoes. I do not think I would be successful seeing patients or appearing in court, but more power to him. I would not advise him to rob banks. The police would ask them to describe the suspect and they would just say "Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice."

actionjbone

Reaction score
Today felt like a good day for my AE spectator-loafers.

IMG_20190628_170819905_HDR-01.jpeg

Today I wore through the last of the heel pads, and I think the soles are getting thin. So these will be going to Bedo's (along with a couple other pairs) next time (a) I'm across the river and (b) I have the cash for the kind of work they do.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meet Zack. At age 14 he decided to burn his jeans and only wear vintage or period clothes. Now at 25 he works as a bespoke tailor who makes period clothing. The story at the link says his reception is generally very good and he has even received offers of marriage. No mention of what he does for shoes. I do not think I would be successful seeing patients or appearing in court, but more power to him. I would not advise him to rob banks. The police would ask them to describe the suspect and they would just say "Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice."

View attachment 1199255

View attachment 1199256

View attachment 1199257
Granted, I think we pretty much perfected menswear in the 20th century (and I’m doing my damndest to make sure we hang onto those modes of dress) but I’m okay with this guy larp’ing like Beau Brummell. I mean anything, no matter how small, that’s pushing back on the faux-vintage Def Leppard tank tops, hipsterized Miami-vice look and dudes in camo meggings, is a win in my book.

That and the Regency dandy thing is not bad... ladies love period piece movies with dudes rocking the look. It’s also why white-tie is still the boss of all formal-wear, as it’s almost unchanged (aside from a few details) from the Regency Era in which it was introduced.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today felt like a good day for my AE spectator-loafers.

View attachment 1199296

Today I wore through the last of the heel pads, and I think the soles are getting thin. So these will be going to Bedo's (along with a couple other pairs) next time (a) I'm across the river and (b) I have the cash for the kind of work they do.
Cool shoes, but uhhh, yeahhhh... ‘sup with those socks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads