• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vietnamese calesthenics - somebody here must know what I mean

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there's this asian girl at my gym who does this thing where she stands holding on to something, and waves her legs or arms around. it sounds (and looks) pretty silly, but I can see that she is flexible and she must be pretty strong when I see how many reps she does and how fast.

I thought it was a gymnastics thing, didn't really wonder about it.

I was in Hanoi this morning, and I must have seen 100 people doing the same thing, in groups or by themselves.

can anybody tell me anything about it?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
somebody filmed what I am talking about, at the same spot I was, actually,

in the middle of the short clip, you can see the guy swinging his leg. I saw 100 people doing taht kind of thing. there has to be a name for it, and a story behind it.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's it - leg swings. Pretty basic loosening up and warm up, often used for martial arts, cross fit or any other training.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^, yeah, I guess you have to see what I mean to understand. I thought with so many vietnamese on the board, somebody would know what I mean. I mean, there were a 100 people, alone, in groups, all over town, doing variations of this, and nothing else. they weren't warming up for something else, this was the main course. and the girl in my gym, she does this for like an hour, differnet body parts.

it looks like the type of thing that would be good for traveling, you could do it in a small place, but I was hoping to read about it a little.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're in Hanoi right now? You lucky bastard. I do hate you.

no, just there friday and saturday, left sunday morning. and, yes, I am a lucky bastard

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^thanks, I don't think that this is what I saw, but I apprectiate it.

I am thinking that this is some type of variation on tai chi, or some national excersize system from vietnam, or something like that. there were a lot of various moves being done, but they were all being done in a similar way, with powerful, fast swinging motions, repeated dozens of times.

anyway, if any body from vietnam knows what I am talking about, I am very curious.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^thanks, I don't think that this is what I saw, but I apprectiate it.
I am thinking that this is some type of variation on tai chi, or some national excersize system from vietnam, or something like that. there were a lot of various moves being done, but they were all being done in a similar way, with powerful, fast swinging motions, repeated dozens of times.
anyway, if any body from vietnam knows what I am talking about, I am very curious.

Let us know if you find out, I'm curious now. You could just asking the Asian girl.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
asked the asian girl. she said "my families Korean, but I was born here, I learned this in gym at school"

so

1. I guess I came off like a raciest creep

2. I still don't know what it is that I saw in Veitnam

3. I give up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads