• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes with AOM. Hard for me to believe AOM won’t sell you a pair if you are not a member but who knows.

My guess is membership allows you to preorder. Alden only does a certain number of pairs per size per run, so being a member would guarantee your size. Just a guess though.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a new one for me. One of my favorite leathers is natural CXL. I also love leather soles and contrast tongues. I couldn't find a Natty service boot on a leather sole, but Brooklyn's makeup checked almost all my boxes:

Leather: Natural CXL
Toe Cap: Straight Tip
Tongue: Self Smooth Vamp
Tops Band: Self Smooth
Thread: 69 Brown
Eyelet: 7AA Brass
Midsole: Natural Leather Midsole
Sole: Dainite
Last: 2030
Toe: Unstructured
Production: Stitch Down

E7FEB3CE-1DF1-41AC-B6D2-12E139B98A2B.jpeg

They didn't have an 11.5 in stock, but since this makeup is part of their core offerings, I was able to place a pre-order earlier this year. When they arrived last month I was hot and heavy making small (and large) customizations to my boots with Nick @ Pekin, so I had them shipped directly to him from Vancouver for the following changes:

-Double leather sole, natural edge, Lulu tips with a Vibram toplift
-contrast leather tongue

Nick only had a few leathers on hand, and I selected a medium brown leather from SB Foot Tannery (Redwing).

7152335A-919F-4ECA-AB7C-F77B781ECF90.jpeg

The leather looks fairly similar in color now, but I think as the boot ages the leathers will patina differently.

The Brooklyn makeup had a semi-gussted tongue, which Nick wasn't able to duplicate (Which is okay with me).

F40EC857-2E62-48BC-ACC7-F85A918F8AB7.jpeg

Gloomy day today, but here are a few shots laced up:

3950FA4C-957E-4BD2-A405-026D4D7C71B6.jpeg

91378DD6-8D66-4E8D-8B57-71AF44BD784F.jpeg

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you take same size as 2030?

Someone asked me the same question over PM, here's my response:

Long answer below. Short answer, I go up .5 from my 2030. But here is how I got there.

41464 is a little difficult to size. Do you know your heel-toe brannock size and your heel-ball brannock size? I ask because I take my 2030 size .5 down (11.5) from heel-toe brannock (12D), which is 1.5 down from my heel-ball brannock (13D).

Over time I've tried 11 both 11 and 11.5 in the side zip, but neither worked for the ball of my foot. 41464 (and 2050) tapers more aggressively than 2030, as you know.

Size 12 fits in the ball area best (1 down from heel-ball brannock size), but I do get some heel slip. This is likely bc the side-zip last has a roomy heel cup, my foot and heel area is pretty low volume, and there's no laces to adjust. I can live with this because my ball isn't squeezed uncomfortably. I'm also going to mess around with a 3/4 length insert to take up some volume.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me the same question over PM, here's my response:

Long answer below. Short answer, I go up .5 from my 2030. But here is how I got there.

41464 is a little difficult to size. Do you know your heel-toe brannock size and your heel-ball brannock size? I ask because I take my 2030 size .5 down (11.5) from heel-toe brannock (12D), which is 1.5 down from my heel-ball brannock (13D).

Over time I've tried 11 both 11 and 11.5 in the side zip, but neither worked for the ball of my foot. 41464 (and 2050) tapers more aggressively than 2030, as you know.

Size 12 fits in the ball area best (1 down from heel-ball brannock size), but I do get some heel slip. This is likely bc the side-zip last has a roomy heel cup, my foot and heel area is pretty low volume, and there's no laces to adjust. I can live with this because my ball isn't squeezed uncomfortably. I'm also going to mess around with a 3/4 length insert to take up some volume.
Thanks for the detail here. I'm going to go check out my heel to ball to help me figure it out.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to believe that once Nick at Pekin gets caught up on local work, he’ll resume accepting work from mail order clients. Otherwise, it’s a road trip to Pekin

Haha

The amount of resoles required to make it cost efficient would probably make him quit altogether.

“hi there nick. I’m here to drop off 60 pairs of boots needing resoles. Here’s the list...“

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a new one for me. One of my favorite leathers is natural CXL. I also love leather soles and contrast tongues. I couldn't find a Natty service boot on a leather sole, but Brooklyn's makeup checked almost all my boxes:

View attachment 1279149

They didn't have an 11.5 in stock, but since this makeup is part of their core offerings, I was able to place a pre-order earlier this year. When they arrived last month I was hot and heavy making small (and large) customizations to my boots with Nick @ Pekin, so I had them shipped directly to him from Vancouver for the following changes:

-contrast leather tongue

Nick only had a few leathers on hand, and I selected a medium brown leather from SB Foot Tannery (Redwing).

View attachment 1279150

The leather looks fairly similar in color now, but I think as the boot ages the leathers will patina differently.

The Brooklyn makeup had a semi-gussted tongue, which Nick wasn't able to duplicate (Which is okay with me).

View attachment 1279155

View attachment 1279147
View attachment 1279148

Every time I see BC's Natty makeup I want it that much more. I know I ultimately wont love how the CXL ends up, but this make up looks so good. It's an itch I am going to have to scratch. If they include Viberg in their BF sale it's game over.

leephil

Reaction score

View attachment 1279149

-contrast leather tongue

View attachment 1279150

View attachment 1279155

View attachment 1279147
View attachment 1279148
This update is awesome!!! It looks like you also changed the bright brass eyelets to antique brass.

I know they're not taking any more orders but how much did everything cost you including shipping? I really love the Brooklyn Clothing natty makeup but can't be bothered to pay like $100 more to a cobbler to change the eyelets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads