• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goalaso

Reaction score
For those of us who have yet to see workshoe butt in real life, does anyone have photos of well-worn broken in workshoe butt vs normal old Horsebutt? I'm still unsure of what sparks the excitement compared to the standard stuff? Seems like it would be heavier and stiffer, without necessarily any guarantee of retaining the underlying shell (roll) quality? Would love to see some photo evidence or first-hand experience of the attraction. Thanks

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us who have yet to see workshoe butt in real life, does anyone have photos of well-worn broken in workshoe butt vs normal old Horsebutt? I'm still unsure of what sparks the excitement compared to the standard stuff? Seems like it would be heavier and stiffer, without necessarily any guarantee of retaining the underlying shell (roll) quality? Would love to see some photo evidence or first-hand experience of the attraction. Thanks

Not sure how Essex/Dublin would differ but this is my pair of regular workshoe butt which is a CXL tannage.

CD17E500-5514-4F88-BFC9-175001C3A540.jpeg
8C3EDE6C-7E36-4FD2-87E8-DD56AD433860.jpeg
24021E8D-27BE-4700-8B52-54508D927458.jpeg

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Workshoe butt is just a tannery name Horween uses for their horsebutt with shell. Horween horsebutt not called workshoebutt is just strip i.e. no shell included. The leather itself is special because: A) only Viberg makes boots out of it AFAIK and B) its one of the rarer horsebutts period. The CXL version is also the only combination tanned horsebutt. All other horsebutt with shell whether Shinki or Italian is Veg tanned. These veg tanned essex and dublin versions are brand new for Horween and likely won't be found at other makers.

The Shinki horsebutt, Maryam horse breech, and Comipel horsebutt all include shell. So its mostly special over the other Viberg horsebutt because it's Horween's take. Its the same price as the Shinki as well.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
If all the new shinki color 4 are fucked and it’s a limited leather…. Are they just going to say sorry all sales are final?

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s hard to tell from looking at it but Horween work shoe butt feels different than most horsebutt. Definitely more supple and packed with oils.

goalaso

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from looking at it but Horween work shoe butt feels different than most horsebutt. Definitely more supple and packed with oils.

It's more supple even though it has an extra shell layer?? I thought it was the opposite, from what I'd heard

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more supple even though it has an extra shell layer?? I thought it was the opposite, from what I'd heard
it's more supple. I don't pretend to explain how shell cordovan is produced, but the horsebutt desfinitely feels more supple.

BTW, do me a favor, guys. If you ore-order on Thursday, please use the link that I'll put up first thing? It helps the forum, and costs you nothing extra,. Thanks.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If all the new shinki color 4 are fucked and it’s a limited leather…. Are they just going to say sorry all sales are final?
They're remaking them and a few people said they haven't gotten a shipping notification so I believe Viberg is double checking the ones that didn't go out yet. If you do get one with bad punching just reach out to thomas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads