• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of their boots are on 2030 except for the brown WF, which you have, and the icy mocha (2045). Without knowing your size if I were you I'd go for the tan horsehide followed by the black moose. Both different leathers. If neither of those then the coffee Chromepak. It's a different shade from what you have and has a unique sole. I have the coffee from Viberg and it's awesome. If none of those then probably the grey calf. Plus, given your winning bid I wouldn't pick anything less than the value of that. I would've gone chukka probably, but obviously I can get the boot cheaper since the bids went up.

I don't have a problem picking a boot that's priced less than what I bid. Truthfully, I didn't expect to win and so I just want to pick what would fit into my rotation best and something I'd really enjoy. I was drawn to the chukka as well but I haven't had much success getting chukkas to work well with my feet. Maybe I'll try again some day.

Here is my shortlist right now:
- black pit tanned bison
- Italian tan horsehide (gyw)
- black moose leather (gyw)

I wasn't considering the coffee chromepak because I've got quite a few CXL boots in a similar color (other brands). And although the Italian grey calf says "grey", the color is not that different from my olive Italian calf boots.

All my Vibergs are stitchdown and I don't have a problem with GYW so kind of thought of trying one of those.

Thanks for your thoughtful input. The tan horsehide might be leading the pack right now...

Aviv

Reaction score

I don't have a problem picking a boot that's priced less than what I bid.  Truthfully, I didn't expect to win and so I just want to pick what would fit into my rotation best and something I'd really enjoy.  I was drawn to the chukka as well but I haven't had much success getting chukkas to work well with my feet.  Maybe I'll try again some day.

-  black pit tanned bison
-  Italian tan horsehide  (gyw)
-  black moose leather  (gyw)

I wasn't considering the coffee chromepak because I've got quite a few CXL boots in a similar color (other brands).  And although the Italian grey calf says "grey", the color is not that different from my olive Italian calf boots.

All my Vibergs are stitchdown and I don't have a problem with GYW so kind of thought of trying one of those.

Thanks for your thoughtful input.  The tan horsehide might be leading the pack right now...

I have handled or owned 80% of the leathers Viberg has offered in the past couple of years. Pit tanned bison is the number one best looking, feeling, wearing leather I've seen, and is my number one boot. Go for that.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have handled or owned 80% of the leathers Viberg has offered in the past couple of years. Pit tanned bison is the number one best looking, feeling, wearing leather I've seen, and is my number one boot. Go for that.

Interesting. Good input, thanks.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the tobacco chamois boot? Too close to aged bark?

You got it, Ryden. It doesn't have the slight nap that aged bark does, but the color looks almost identical. Having said that, I've loved some of the chamois/reverse chamois makeups that Alden has.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You got it, Ryden.  It doesn't have the slight nap that aged bark does, but the color looks almost identical.  Having said that, I've loved some of the chamois/reverse chamois makeups that Alden has.

Yeah. I like that makeup a lot

I think that chukka looks great. One of my favorites they have along with the coffee chrome pack with burlap sole

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I like that makeup a lot

I think that chukka looks great. One of my favorites they have along with the coffee chrome pack with burlap sole

I picked up this coffee boot from Notre, it is noticeably different in my opinion walking on the burlap sole. The chromepak is also tough as nails, gave me a heel blister on my first day of walking in them 2-3 miles around the garden.

Skell6009

Reaction score
I picked up this coffee boot from Notre, it is noticeably different in my opinion walking on the burlap sole. The chromepak is also tough as nails, gave me a heel blister on my first day of walking in them 2-3 miles around the garden.
More grip? Less grip? I was under the impression that it would wear off after you put some mileage on them.

mb123

Reaction score

I don't have a problem picking a boot that's priced less than what I bid.  Truthfully, I didn't expect to win and so I just want to pick what would fit into my rotation best and something I'd really enjoy.  I was drawn to the chukka as well but I haven't had much success getting chukkas to work well with my feet.  Maybe I'll try again some day.

-  black pit tanned bison
-  Italian tan horsehide  (gyw)
-  black moose leather  (gyw)

I wasn't considering the coffee chromepak because I've got quite a few CXL boots in a similar color (other brands).  And although the Italian grey calf says "grey", the color is not that different from my olive Italian calf boots.

Thanks for your thoughtful input.  The tan horsehide might be leading the pack right now...

All three are really cool boots in exotic leathers. Can't go wrong and they all fit in your collection. Since you don't have a black or a 1035, the black pit tan bison might be good option to fill both. Tan horsehide is my favorite leather by far though. You can't go wrong.

Source: I own a lot of vibergs including those
http://imgur.com/a/xKVsC

Last edited:

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More grip? Less grip? I was under the impression that it would wear off after you put some mileage on them.

The grip is actually pretty decent. I wore them on a rainy day. Not sure how they would do in snow but if we get any this year in the Lou I'll try it.

It does wear some but it will take a while to completely wear off.

sirsigsalot

Reaction score

Left to Right: 2030 Mahogany Shell on Dainite- Size 10, 110 Brown Waxed Flesh on Commando- Size 9.5, 2030 Natty CXL on Dainite- Size 10, 2030 Black Oil Tan Roughout Scout on Vibram Morflex- Size 10 I had a bit of room lengthwise on my 2030s so I sized down 0.5 for the 110 since I did not want to wear an insole to take up the extra volume. I wear all these boots with medium weight socks. I have a somewhat high instep width somewhere in-between a D and E.
MAN. Fantastic collection - all excellent choices!!

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All three are really cool boots in exotic leathers. Can't go wrong and they all fit in your collection. Since you don't have a black or a 1035, the black pit tan bison might be good option to fill both. Tan horsehide is my favorite leather by far though. You can't go wrong.

Source: I own a lot of vibergs including those
http://imgur.com/a/xKVsC

Thanks for your input. You have a pretty incredible collection. Your tan horsehide made me hesitate with my choice but I ended up sticking with the black pit tanned bison boot. Notre shows it in stock so I hope their inventory was accurate. My second choice would be the tan horsehide.

Aviv

Reaction score

Thanks for your input. You have a pretty incredible collection. Your tan horsehide made me hesitate with my choice but I ended up sticking with the black pit tanned bison boot. Notre shows it in stock so I hope their inventory was accurate. My second choice would be the tan horsehide.

You made the right choice. The newer horse is not like the first batch Viberg did last year. This is garment weight stuff. The bison is tanned in a similar way to shell. You'll love it.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You made the right choice. The newer horse is not like the first batch Viberg did last year. This is garment weight stuff. The bison is tanned in a similar way to shell. You'll love it.

Actually, it was your input that sealed the deal for me. At first, I was leaning towards the tan horsehide but in the end, I decided that the bison would decidedly fit better in my rotation. Your post and comments about the bison made my decision firm. Thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads