• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rolling green

Reaction score

A little more info on Waxed Flesh from the Horween site: http://horween.com/101/the-leather-that-has-3-names/

I have a waxed flesh Quoddy Maliseet Oxford - great shoe. Love the leather. I apply a little saphir renovateur from time to time which keeps the waxed flesh conditioned.

I have those Maine guides in waxed flesh and love it. Very hearty leather that needs very little care. I only get concerned when it gets a little dry and conditioner helps that. Would love a boondocker in this makeup. Much prefer waxed flesh than the CXL or roughout offerings for this boot. If Viberg were still taking custom orders I would have placed it already!

Looks like those are a well worn boot but waxed flesh definitely distresses very nicely and without much effort.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF anyone is down for a group buy of this boondocker minus the speedhooks I'm in!.

Boon docker
  • 110 Last
  • Commando Sole
  • Brass Eyelets
  • White Thread
  • Natural Midsole
  • Unstructured Toe
  • Pull tab (loop
  • Wax Flesh

If I can get a commitment from 4 people for this makeup (I think that maybe the 2045 last might have more structure, so you can debate that), I'd be happy to ask Guy if we could do this boot. Stuff like this is essentially what we built the Styleforummarket to do. Of course, you guys should note that this is what the boots look like after they've been worn, not what they would look like on day 1.

You guys also interested in a derby shoe? I don't know the exact release dates for that, but if you will propose some makeups (I would like a grey/brown leather, which I feel would really be popular, and also play to the strengths of that model), I'd be happy to entertain ideas for that as well.

Cheers,

Fok.

CEE88

Reaction score

I have those Maine guides in waxed flesh and love it. Very hearty leather that needs very little care. I only get concerned when it gets a little dry and conditioner helps that. Would love a boondocker in this makeup. Much prefer waxed flesh than the CXL or roughout offerings for this boot. If Viberg were still taking custom orders I would have placed it already!

Looks like those are a well worn boot but waxed flesh definitely distresses very nicely and without much effort.

I'd love another pair of waxed flesh shoes -- or boots.
I know many people like the distressed look but whenever my Maliseets start getting those light, dry patches, I pull out the SR and the leather goes back to a more uniform, healthy, look again.

kennyx

Reaction score

If I can get a commitment from 4 people for this makeup (I think that maybe the 2045 last might have more structure, so you can debate that), I'd be happy to ask Guy if we could do this boot. Stuff like this is essentially what we built the Styleforummarket to do.  Of course, you guys should note that this is what the boots look like after they've been worn, not what they would look like on day 1.

You guys also interested in a derby shoe?  I don't know the exact release dates for that, but if you will propose some makeups (I would like a grey/brown leather, which I feel would really be popular, and also play to the strengths of that model), I'd be happy to entertain ideas for that as well.

Cheers,

Fok.

I'd be in for that boot.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Viberg.

rolling green

Reaction score

If I can get a commitment from 4 people for this makeup (I think that maybe the 2045 last might have more structure, so you can debate that), I'd be happy to ask Guy if we could do this boot. Stuff like this is essentially what we built the Styleforummarket to do.  Of course, you guys should note that this is what the boots look like after they've been worn, not what they would look like on day 1.

You guys also interested in a derby shoe?  I don't know the exact release dates for that, but if you will propose some makeups (I would like a grey/brown leather, which I feel would really be popular, and also play to the strengths of that model), I'd be happy to entertain ideas for that as well.

Cheers,

Fok.

Well you know I'm in for sure, take my money.
Fok, will everyone have to agree on the same last? Not sure if different lasts can be ordered. I have owned the boondockers on the 110 last and prefer the 110 last for this style but I admit I'm unfamiliar with the 2045. Just please not another 2030 especially for this style boot. I think the 110 is perfect for a more casual rugged boot. Where do we go from here? Hate to hijack this thread for a possible group buy. I'm also flexible on the sole as I love leather soles and the dainite soles.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well you know I'm in for sure, take my money.
Fok, will everyone have to agree on the same last? Not sure if different lasts can be ordered. I have owned the boondockers on the 110 last and prefer the 110 last for this style but I admit I'm unfamiliar with the 2045. Just please not another 2030 especially for this style boot. I think the 110 is perfect for a more casual rugged boot. Where do we go from here? Hate to hijack this thread for a possible group buy. I'm also flexible on the sole as I love leather soles and the dainite soles.

I like that makeup as it is shown, but without speed hooks as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be in for that boot.
The 2045 last or the 110 last, or does it matter to you? I've been hearing great things about the 2045 last, which apparently has a great deal of comfort but has more structure, especially through the midfoot, than the 110 last.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is enough of an interest in this makeup, I'll start a new thread.

Yes, everyone would have to agree to the same last. Viberg will not do one off MTO for their stockists, us included.

Last edited:

Scottystyles

Reaction score
Also in my humbled opinion the 2045 last is sooo much better refined fit than the 110. Come to think of it, I wasn't the only one mentioning heal slip was an issue with the 110. It is Wide Viberg last. From Morgan at Viberg, he said the 2045 was developed as a walking/marching kind of last. Being ex military I totally see why. I could take my 2045 on a 20km forced march easy and I think my feet would come up great after. It really is a robust last without the fancy pointed or more pointed toe of the 2030. 2045 is more rounded like the 110.

The brown wax flesh is most definitely worn in those pics. To see what it looks like new or newer see mine in above pics or the current for sale country derby boot on Viberg.com

Hope that might help :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads