• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking in the natural Kangaroo chelseas today

TBoTKiT.jpg

baromatic

Reaction score
Like the idea of the Mahogany shell & the change in offering for:

Storm GY welt
Derby boot
Ridgeway sole

Just wish the last offered was a dressier almond shaped one. Their addition of French binding and brass eyes just doesn’t carry well what the Service Boot or Derby Boot tells of the brand.

-Derby’s pattern is more dressy over the Service boot.
-Storm welt is more casual over a flat welt.
-GYW is more refined over the stitchdown

Imagine a 270 closed heel, Good year flat welt, small brass eye, French binding, and flat laces on an almond shaped last.
Wouldn’t that just be another Alden or C&J ?

Seems that’s where the offerings are trending to anyhow...food for thought

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the idea of the Mahogany shell & the change in offering for:

Storm GY welt
Derby boot
Ridgeway sole

Just wish the last offered was a dressier almond shaped one. Their addition of French binding and brass eyes just doesn’t carry well what the Service Boot or Derby Boot tells of the brand.

-Derby’s pattern is more dressy over the Service boot.
-Storm welt is more casual over a flat welt.
-GYW is more refined over the stitchdown

Imagine a 270 closed heel, Good year flat welt, small brass eye, French binding, and flat laces on an almond shaped last.
Wouldn’t that just be another Alden or C&J ?

Seems that’s where the offerings are trending to anyhow...food for thought

Alden and CJ both have more intricate patterns and finishing that I don’t see Viberg doing considering the extra amount of work and quality control needed.

Viberg will always feel more on the casual end to me.

I agree that the makeup is mix of dressy vs casual. Even the mocha Shelby doesn’t feel as dressy as the average Alden boot to me.

None of this is a negative to me though. I just see Viberg occupying a different space.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads