• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, and remember that I am going to take a weekend off to spend with my family, so it's possible that I don't get to your questions, but these are the options for the heavy boots (which we can used for stitchdown construction) and then the possibilites for a city boot (chelsea or sidezip) and which can be used for Goodyear welted boots. These are the options that Drew and I came up with based on the discussions here. 1) Heavy boot leathers for the "tough boot" that can be used in the stitchdown construction, from left to right: black oil tan, black bullhide, black bison and crust CXL 2) City boot (chelsea or side zip) GYW options, from left to right: black horse, tan horse, seal brown tumbled horse and burgundy horse
Sweet so we can do the crust. What exactly is nail down does anyone have some pics? I'm not into Chelsea boots but some pretty sweet leathers in that bunch too.

Broark

Reaction score
Crust cxl gets my vote for the work boot. Would look great on a work boot last like the 2045, 110, etc.
Tan horsehide would get my vote for a Chelsea, don't think I'm fashion enough for a side zip.
satisfied.gif

BHK666

Reaction score
Indeed, the crust CXL would be a nice leather on a work boot. How about on the 1035 with a mini-lug. Brogue toe cap.

Curious what this stuff looks like when worn in...

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL. Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build. But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

1940s Service Boot, 310 last
Crust CXL
Cap toe (non-brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Cat's Paw heel, Vibram half sole
Stitched down/Nailed down
Heel lowered 1/8" (pending Viberg approval)
Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots. But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH @Bobbo316 @meso @Steel28 @bry2000 @vettemike @b-ewing @ShootThePier @BHK666 @justinkapur
@LA Guy

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read about crust CXL on the Viberg website, but I am confused how it differs from natural CXL. Viberg describes crust as leather that has not yet been dyed or finished. I thought natural CXL was the same. How are the two leathers different? Can anyone with both put up a comparison?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read about crust CXL on the Viberg website, but I am confused how it differs from natural CXL. Viberg describes crust as leather that has not yet been dyed or finished. I thought natural CXL was the same. How are the two leathers different? Can anyone with both put up a comparison?

My totally inexpert sense is that natural CXL is undyed but finished, so you get that CXL glaze on it, whereas the Crust is not finished, so more matte in appearance. Maybe comparable to the difference between the glazed natural shell that Viberg usually does vs that new unglazed shell they recently offered..?

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL.  Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build.  But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

Crust CXL
Cap toe (non-brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots.  But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH
@Bobbo316
@meso
@Steel28
@bry2000
@vettemike
@b-ewing
@ShootThePier
@BHK666
@justinkapur

@LA Guy

I personally would prefer the brogueing, think it looks good on this type of boot.
It's not make or break for me thou.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL. Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build. But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

Crust CXL
Cap toe (non-brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots. But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH @Bobbo316 @meso @Steel28 @bry2000 @vettemike @b-ewing @ShootThePier @BHK666 @justinkapur
@LA Guy
One step closer, I wont stand in the way of the cap toe. Count me in for the Millwright in whatever iteration above gets finalized.....

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to this convo but yes, eBay has worked and for me personally, grailed is really effective and I can usually get a better price.

Also: for the guys into the side zip: tan horse! tan horse!! Right?? Unless you want to do the black out fashion ninja thing.
Im still pushing the black horse side zip - Ninja style.

I also really like the burgundy, truly a versatile color but between the two I would go for black on this one. Cant say I like the tan as much.

ShootThePier

Reaction score

I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL.  Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build.  But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

Crust CXL
Cap toe (non-brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots.  But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH
@Bobbo316
@meso
@Steel28
@bry2000
@vettemike
@b-ewing
@ShootThePier
@BHK666
@justinkapur

@LA Guy

In for this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy if you've got a chance before you escape, could you post a photo of the reverse sides of the tough boot leathers, particularly the bull and bison hides?

Thanks.
I don't have the leathers on hand, though I've handled them all. Those were pics sent to me by Drew. I can ask him to do that next week though.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crust cxl gets my vote for the work boot. Would look great on a work boot last like the 2045, 110, etc.
Tan horsehide would get my vote for a Chelsea, don't think I'm fashion enough for a side zip.
satisfied.gif
Just from my experience with Viberg, I would say that while the chelsea (one of my favorite models) is good, that a sidezip, for obvious reasons. can give a more fitted look in the ankle.

I think that both are good options. fwiw, side-zips are considered a variation on a chelsea.
Cheers,

Fok.

orionz06

Reaction score
I've been out for a few weeks, can anyone share a pic of what the 1940's boot will look like, or close to it?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been out for a few weeks, can anyone share a pic of what the 1940's boot will look like, or close to it?

This is what we're shooting for. It was a one off boot from back when the 310 was first developed. The Millwright will be very close, but the Crust CXL will be lighter, and the captoe may or may not be brogued, depending of preferences. Come on board!

(As I look at this again, I like the brogue...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads