• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the answers. The quality thing was more of a decision in that Carmina has a custom MTO option for another wholecut short boot and it's not much more expensive than Viberg. The issue with Carmina for me was that their shapes are little more.. European.. for my tastes (I like chunky/clunky work boot silhouettes in higher end materials: see Alden Jumpers with Commando Soles in Shell Corovan). But maybe I haven't seen the right last?
But yeah, kinda looking for something in calf skin this time around... I'll keep those QC issues in mind.. I may still order a pair later this year or next, but it's one of those things I've wondered about.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the answers. The quality thing was more of a decision in that Carmina has a custom MTO option for another wholecut short boot and it's not much more expensive than Viberg. The issue with Carmina for me was that their shapes are little more.. European.. for my tastes (I like chunky/clunky work boot silhouettes in higher end materials: see Alden Jumpers with Commando Soles in Shell Corovan). But maybe I haven't seen the right last?
But yeah, kinda looking for something in calf skin this time around... I'll keep those QC issues in mind.. I may still order a pair later this year or next, but it's one of those things I've wondered about.
Check out some of their boots on Soller or Detroit for a chunky option.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be in the minority here, but if you like the workboot aesthetic I don't think Viberg's QC is a big deal (ok, when they get the make-up right). A little bit of stitching inconsistency here and there, or a little bit of roughed up leather, doesn't really detract from that IMO. Workboots are supposed to get roughed up.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but if you like the workboot aesthetic I don't think Viberg's QC is a big deal (ok, when they get the make-up right). A little bit of stitching inconsistency here and there, or a little bit of roughed up leather, doesn't really detract from that IMO. Workboots are supposed to get roughed up.

Yeah, I don't like pristine/perfect. :D I wore my shell on my motorcycle, so they got shifter scuff and scratches here and there. I still hit them up with saphir; I like the look. :) Fortunately I wasn't wearing them when I went down a couple years ago, but I'm pretty sure they would've been fine other than heavily scuffed...

MilesMW

Reaction score
I'm so confused on sizing for these shoes. Is it UK or US sizing? My brannock is 10.5. If I was planning to size down a full size from my brannock (in Trubalance I can fit in a 9D because of the roomy last), would I be a 9.5 on the Viberg website? Or would I be an 8.5, which would be UK sizing, which would be a 9.5 US, which would be a full size down.

Just seems pretty confusing for whatever is the proper sizing and perhaps it even seems like people or Viberg or their sizing guide or whatever it is may be conflating the typical sizing down of shoes (i.e. sizing down a full size in the US sizing such as for Alden) and the UK sizing difference (i.e. wearing an 8.5E UK C&J).

What the hell is going on and can somebody tell me if I would be a 9.5 or an 8.5 on the Viberg website to size down a full size from my brannock. Thank you very much.

I’m surely in the minority here but for me, I convert Viberg (UK) to my US size. I have the luxury of living near a stockist so I could try on sizes before purchasing. I started one size down (Viberg 11) from my Brannock (12A) and was absolutely swimming in the boots. Keep in mind I have narrow/low volume feet. So then I tried a Viberg 10.5 and found it ok but a touch loose (I like a snug fit). I have landed at a Viberg 10 or 10.5 depending on last, leather, style, etc. I wear a 12 Nike runner and an 11.5 vans sneaker. I was shocked that a 10/10.5 was my size but in reality it’s an 11/11.5 US if you go by Vibergs chart.
Happy hunting and try before you buy if you can.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 x 2020

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 x 2020

Something about ridgeway on that is giving me platform heel vibes

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about ridgeway on that is giving me platform heel vibes
1593809113506.png

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like S&S got a restock on their 2055 charcoal reverse chamois service boots. Snagged up a pair

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How’s 2055 v. 2030?

Wider at the toe and my experience is that it has a slightly lower instep. It's a Munson last as opposed to 2030's almond shaped toe so fairly different toe shape. Many seem to be fine with .5 down from their 2030 size but I'm happy taking the same size as 2030. I find it to be super comfortable (even more so than 2030) but that's obviously going to depend on your foot shape.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
Wider at the toe and my experience is that it has a slightly lower instep. It's a Munson last as opposed to 2030's almond shaped toe so fairly different toe shape. Many seem to be fine with .5 down from their 2030 size but I'm happy taking the same size as 2030. I find it to be super comfortable (even more so than 2030) but that's obviously going to depend on your foot shape.
My 2030 is their lowest size offered. Might have to take a chance.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Looks like S&S got a restock on their 2055 charcoal reverse chamois service boots. Snagged up a pair

Those are one of the sweetest makeups out there IMO. Of course just last week I sprung for the Crockett & Jones (or is it Crockett & Tubbs lol) Coniston Black Edition, so no go for me on this.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 2055 I went a half size down from 2030 and they fit very well. I wore them out for the first time today and they were very comfortable, same as 2030 would have been too big.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are pretty cool looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads