• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VESTS / Stuff-carrying gear

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really great, do you know if it is available anywhere?

Its a Fall / Winter 2016 piece, so won't be released for some months yet. http://circus-store.net/ is always good bet for the more unusual Soloist stuff (although they sell out very quickly, and don't always stock a full size-range in every piece). Otherwise check around other Soloist stockists like Haven late in the year, see if they get it.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this. I'm curious what your thoughts are after using it a bit?

I enjoy the vest and have been wearing it three times a week on average; but it has its limitations.

Things I like:
  • The upper zip pocket is very convenient as I am right handed and I can quickly access small items without needing to use my bag. The size is compact so none of what fits in there jingles around and the zipper is very quick to open.
  • The colour is nice, I think the all black looks a bit too surplus.
  • The asymmetrical design is unique and I prefer it to the previous symmetrical release based on looks alone.
  • The cable Velcro comes in handy when I wear wired earphones.
  • The price is pretty good for a brand new vest with a unique design like this.

Things I don't like:
  • There is no chest clasp so the holster will shift around easily especially if you keep anything substantial in the larger pockets.
  • Due to the above issue the large left pocket becomes relatively useless for carrying anything because inside has no compartmentalisation whatsoever. It really could of used some cargo pockets or perhaps be split into an upper and lower compartment so that some heavier items could be stored in the top. Anything you might fit in there will shift around on the bottom and be inconvenient to access unless it is quite large. This pocket may be alright for a slim notepad, but I don't carry one.
  • The large pocket looks unfinished on the inside with uneven stitching that is highlighted by the unlined white interior. It doesn't bother me for a sportier piece like this, but those who want to wear it casually might be annoyed. See the first photo below.
  • The lower left pocket is a decent size and position for a phone, but the Velcro fastening is extremely loud and strong making it inconvenient to open quickly or discretely if you needed to access whatever you stored in there regularly. This isn't much of an issue if you put something you won't use often in there. A thinner strip of Velcro would be better I think.
  • The coin pocket on the right side is completely useless. The Velcro is extremely strong and hard to open without a lot of effort and there is a folded over edge inside that the coins become stuck in, making removal difficult.
  • The nylon ribbon attached to the waist clasp is very long and there is no adjustment or mechanism to fold it back.

How I typically wear it to address these issues:
  • I tuck the nylon ribbon into a pants pocket. This works quite well due to its length and weight; it does not come out even when jogging.
  • When I wear it with a more active outfit, I pair it with my surplus backpack with waist and chest straps and use those to pin the vest down so it does not shift while walking or doing exercise. This works very well. See the second photo below.
  • I don't put anything in the large pocket and typically just use the upper left zip pocket for cash, a card, and some keys.

Photos:

Two Shoes

Reaction score

Its a Fall / Winter 2016 piece, so won't be released for some months yet. http://circus-store.net/ is always good bet for the more unusual Soloist stuff (although they sell out very quickly, and don't always stock a full size-range in every piece). Otherwise check around other Soloist stockists like Haven late in the year, see if they get it.
Awesome thank you!
I enjoy the vest and have been wearing it three times a week on average; but it has its limitations. Things I like:
  • The upper zip pocket is very convenient as I am right handed and I can quickly access small items without needing to use my bag. The size is compact so none of what fits in there jingles around and the zipper is very quick to open.
  • The colour is nice, I think the all black looks a bit too surplus.
  • The asymmetrical design is unique and I prefer it to the previous symmetrical release based on looks alone.
  • The cable Velcro comes in handy when I wear wired earphones.
  • The price is pretty good for a brand new vest with a unique design like this.
Things I don't like:
  • There is no chest clasp so the holster will shift around easily especially if you keep anything substantial in the larger pockets.
  • Due to the above issue the large left pocket becomes relatively useless for carrying anything because inside has no compartmentalisation whatsoever. It really could of used some cargo pockets or perhaps be split into an upper and lower compartment so that some heavier items could be stored in the top. Anything you might fit in there will shift around on the bottom and be inconvenient to access unless it is quite large. This pocket may be alright for a slim notepad, but I don't carry one.
  • The large pocket looks unfinished on the inside with uneven stitching that is highlighted by the unlined white interior. It doesn't bother me for a sportier piece like this, but those who want to wear it casually might be annoyed. See the first photo below.
  • The lower left pocket is a decent size and position for a phone, but the Velcro fastening is extremely loud and strong making it inconvenient to open quickly or discretely if you needed to access whatever you stored in there regularly. This isn't much of an issue if you put something you won't use often in there. A thinner strip of Velcro would be better I think.
  • The coin pocket on the right side is completely useless. The Velcro is extremely strong and hard to open without a lot of effort and there is a folded over edge inside that the coins become stuck in, making removal difficult.
  • The nylon ribbon attached to the waist clasp is very long and there is no adjustment or mechanism to fold it back.
How I typically wear it to address these issues:
  • I tuck the nylon ribbon into a pants pocket. This works quite well due to its length and weight; it does not come out even when jogging.
  • When I wear it with a more active outfit, I pair it with my surplus backpack with waist and chest straps and use those to pin the vest down so it does not shift while walking or doing exercise. This works very well. See the second photo below.
  • I don't put anything in the large pocket and typically just use the upper left zip pocket for cash, a card, and some keys.
Photos:
This is a tremendous review; great insight. Thank you for taking the time, it is sincerely appreciated.

Ragechester

Reaction score
I think they used your fit pics as design inspiration, but yea man the grey one is very nice, just not a vest!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads