• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vestimenta Suit Quality

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Was looking at Virtualclotheshorse site and saw some vestimentas in the Fatto A Mano line, my size at the high $500s, whats their general fit like (as I can always have them altered)?

And where can I try them on in person (DC Area), before I go ahead buying them online?

Jodum,

There are a couple of Vestimentas, at least one of which is fully canvassed, at the Filene's Basement on Conn Ave.

Think you may find a broader selection of models @ Saks in Friendship Heights, but I won't swear to that...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I own an Armani Black Label suit that is definitely not fused - bought it at BG and it passed a bunch of pinch testing. Are you sure that Black Label is fused?

Also, didn't mean to rain on the Vestimenta parade - $1,500 is a decent retail price for a good suit. But I am a firm believer that a 'fair retail price' means a pretty bad point on the $/value curve --> a price needs to be unfairly low for me to feel like I am getting my money's worth!

Oops, meant to put 'canvassed' instead of fused.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I came across a vestimenta 3-roll-2 today for 385. I didn't pull the trigger, but I'm tempted. Fully-canvassed. Any votes out there?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What? No one has anything to add? The shoulders were very soft, almost completely unpadded.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty solid deal if it's one of their canvassed models. Where'd you find it?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like Vestimenta. They cut a long jacket. The drape is weird, too -- encases my body like a sausage. YMMV, of course.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Sounds like a pretty solid deal if it's one of their canvassed models. Where'd you find it?

It's at Barney's Warehouse, and I'm pretty sure it's canvassed, based on the pinch test above the breast pocket and on the lapels.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the look, that is a decent deal. I have found that I don't really like the look of Armani-style shoulders on me - is that one similar? I have come across a Vestimenta sportcoat (too big for me) which I flipped on eBay, looked very nice indeed as far as material and construction are concerned.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
If you like the look, that is a decent deal. I have found that I don't really like the look of Armani-style shoulders on me - is that one similar? I have come across a Vestimenta sportcoat (too big for me) which I flipped on eBay, looked very nice indeed as far as material and construction are concerned.

I'm not sure what Armani shoulders are. These are, as noted, quite soft and almost Neapolitan feeling. Not super-square or Roman-style. I've told myself I'm going to give it till the end of the week, when I may in any case have a clearer idea whether i have the money to splash out anyway.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'm not sure what Armani shoulders are. These are, as noted, quite soft and almost Neapolitan feeling. Not super-square or Roman-style. I've told myself I'm going to give it till the end of the week, when I may in any case have a clearer idea whether i have the money to splash out anyway.

I'd call them soft but droopy - in my plebeian eyes they look looser and less elegant than Neapolitan suit shoulders I have seen.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I'd call them soft but droopy - in my plebeian eyes they look looser and less elegant than Neapolitan suit shoulders I have seen.

I don't think this model is droopy, but YMMV, obviously. I pulled the trigger today. $350+tax is just about as cheap as you're ever likely to pay for a suit worth wearing. The lapels, on further examination, are fused on the underside, but the chestpiece is not. The pants are flat-front. Now I have to get it altered. Has anyone used Barney's in-house service?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I haven't used Barney's in-house service, but the only place I would use in-house tailors is Bergdorf, which has a great reputation for it.

Take it to a good alterations tailor like Wilfred.

What's Wilfred's address again? You have any ideas what his hours are? I seem to recall he was somewhere like 23rd St.?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I forget the number, but it's 23rd between 5th and 6th, south side of the street. East of Home Depot. You'll see a sign. No idea on the hours, but I think they were pretty normal. Number should be in this thread somewhere.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11723&

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads