• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versace shirt; does anyone know this 1?

jon836

Reaction score
I recently came upon this shirt, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I cannot tell if it is supposed to look like this, or if the previous owner did something horrible. I purchased it at good will, along with three other versace shirts that were each in excellent condition, and I cannot tell if this is an attempt to pull off a 'destroyed' look, or if the shirt is simply destroyed. If you know anything about it, please let me know. Thanks.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. That is ugly as all hell. I really don't think any designer in their right mind would make something like that.

JB

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you purchase that, even at a thrift store?
confused.gif

Kopite

Reaction score
Try washing it maybe? If it comes of then it shouldn't be there, if not maybe its a major stain or its intentional. Looks like dirt to me though.

jon836

Reaction score
I think you guys are maybe being a bit harsh... The shirt is definitely not my style, however, the silver medusa buttons are worth more than the $4 I spent for the shirt... someone will pick it up on eBay.... I was just looking for some info on it. Is there anyone out there who knows anything about this shirt (other than the fact that you simply don't like it)?

Kopite

Reaction score
Well, I do like Versace and I think the shirt is ok apart from that stain/design.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could tell you more about it if you take a pic of the tags and the inside fabric tag/washing instructions.

This shirt is definitely several years old, so it could be from any of the MANY different lines Versace put out through the 80's and 90's. Some of these were quite nice and had good quality, some were meant for the "bridge" market, which in designer terms means Old Navy quality with $150 of added branding.

At first glance, it looks like one of the diffusion lines; either Versace Classic V2 or Versace Jeans Couture. But, again, tag pics would be nice.

jon836

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the last two responses! It is indeed a Versace Jeans Couture (the batteries are dead in the camera... sorry) and the tag is rather washed out. It does state that the shirt can be washed or dry cleaned.... But when I flipped over the tag to read it, it gives a date on the shirt (5/11/1973) at least I am guessing that is the date. Talk about vintage, no wonder I wasn't able to find out anything about it. The shirt itself is in very good condition (I mean the denim part of it) the tan portion of the shirt has the cover all pealing off. I am guessing now that it is most likely age that made it look this way, though like I said, the tags, denim and everything else looks really great! There is a authenticity tag below the bottom button and I can still read the piece number, and on the other side there is another smaller tage that reads Ittierre. There is also a name on the tag that was part of the manufacturing (wasn't added afterwords) that reads Norma Della Leege? Again, guessing that it is actually a name, but have no idea.
Again, thank you so much for your help. That was really nice!
Jon

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 5/11/73 is not the date it was made; that's some sort of a copyright date or something (anyway, it's on many Made in Italy shirts). As well, the "norma something something" has to do with that date; it's not a person's name.

My guess is this comes from the early 1990's. The Versace Jeans Couture line was a diffusion line produced by Ittierre SpA and was mostly meant for a slightly younger consumer than the Versace mainline and cost a good deal less. I'm guessing early 1990's because I think the licensing agreement with Ittierre to produce the line only came about in 1989-90 or thereabouts and this definitely looks like an earlier collection.

As for Ittierre, they also produced the Versace Sport and Versus Versace diffusion line as well as the diffusion lines of Dolce&Gabbana, Costume National, Cavalli, Galliano, Ferre, Malo, briefly for Vivienne Westwood and Gigli, and all of Exte.

Quality isn't that great in general, but for $4 I don't think that's a big deal. My guess is the retail of the shirt was probably in the $150-200 range. Overall, it's nothing that will fetch a fortune on ebay, but you'll at least make back your money if you decide to sell it there. The Versace Jeans Couture collections were rather overproduced and, given their relatively low quality (and often poor styling), aren't much in demand by Versace fans as collector's items. This line, along with most of the other diffusion lines, have since been discontinued in favor of just the mainline, in an effort to get back to Versace's "core" image... which was beginning to become dissolved by too many lines and too few new, creative ideas (at the peak, there were probably 20 different Versace lines making everything from socks to crystal tumblers).

But, again, for $4 none of this applies to you or your shirt much (just giving you some info).

jon836

Reaction score
John, You have been way helpful!!! Makes me wonder if there is anything you don't know. I am very impressed. Thanks for the imput!
Jon

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon836
John, You have been way helpful!!! Makes me wonder if there is anything you don't know. I am very impressed. Thanks for the imput!
Jon

No problem; glad to be of assistance! Good luck with the shirt, either wearing it or selling it on ebay.

Regards,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads