• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet Sportcoat

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tip One: The internet doesn't know you, has never met your friends and doesn't enjoy your hobbies. How in the name of God are we supposed to know if you should buy this, or something with pink bunny ears?!

Tip Two: The velvet blazer takes major balls to pull off. You need to be super-secure in your style to wear this. You can't upgrade from an affliction t-shirt and hope. I would personally only wear velvet as a black-tie alternative. Day to day? Not so much.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Blackhood is right...knowing NOTHING about you makes a decent judgement impossible.

however, i have 2 velvet sportcoats in navy. I love em. there again, it fits my style. your mileage may vary.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Don't buy it. There's nothing wrong with it per se. It actually looks very nice. However, as Blackhood said, it's a very niche item, and you aren't likely to get all that much use out of it. Unless your wardrobe is already well stocked with all the tailored wear you need day-to-day, there are better ways to spend your money, even if this is on sale. At the very least start with a more classic evening jacket.

Josh

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, come on, velvet jackets are far more versatile than a standard evening jacket. You can wear them quite casually too and they go pretty well with a decent pair of cords and a scarf on those long winter evenings...

Sure, you need to be a more confident than the average guy to get a lot of wear out of one, and if you don't want to stand out, don't get one, but if you're happy to make an impression, get one and enjoy it.

Merovius

Reaction score

Tip One: The internet doesn't know you, has never met your friends and doesn't enjoy your hobbies. How in the name of God are we supposed to know if you should buy this, or something with pink bunny ears?! Tip Two: The velvet blazer takes major balls to pull off. You need to be super-secure in your style to wear this. You can't upgrade from an affliction t-shirt and hope. I would personally only wear velvet as a black-tie alternative. Day to day? Not so much.
Ive never owned or plan to own an affliction t-shirt, guy...
Don't buy it. There's nothing wrong with it per se. It actually looks very nice. However, as Blackhood said, it's a very niche item, and you aren't likely to get all that much use out of it. Unless your wardrobe is already well stocked with all the tailored wear you need day-to-day, there are better ways to spend your money, even if this is on sale. At the very least start with a more classic evening jacket.

Josh
Such as?
Oh, come on, velvet jackets are far more versatile than a standard evening jacket. You can wear them quite casually too and they go pretty well with a decent pair of cords and a scarf on those long winter evenings...

Sure, you need to be a more confident than the average guy to get a lot of wear out of one, and if you don't want to stand out, don't get one, but if you're happy to make an impression, get one and enjoy it.
The only non-ego driven response, thanks for the feedback.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Sorry if I came off as "ego-driven" but maybe don't ask questions on here if you are going to be rude to anyone who doesn't give the answer you were looking for?

All I really meant by a more classic evening jacket was something not velvet. I'm a big fan of midnight blue jackets with lapels. It's a flattering look on nearly anyone. Again, I think you've found a nice, fun jacket. I was only trying to advocate the idea that it's worth spending money on more basic, everyday items before moving onto more niche items.

Apologies for giving an unpopular answer,
Josh

Merovius

Reaction score
No sweat its fine. It wasn't so much you that had the haughty attitude anyway. I know its place, cocktail parties, fashion shows, concerts, plays, dinners....after looking at that list it would probably get more use than one might initially think.

Right now though, its far too warm for it (80 degrees) and I do have a list of other blazers to get - Grey Wool Herringbone, Brown Cord and Harris Tweed for the Fall/Winter arsenal.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like it. I would wear something like that for holiday parties and other festive occasions. I think you'll find all velvet is going to have some degree of "shine" and "flash" though.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you already know the answer; if you have to ask here, probably not a good idea. I like it, but wouldn't be comfortable wearing it myself.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know its place, cocktail parties, fashion shows, concerts, plays, dinners....after looking at that list it would probably get more use than one might initially think.

Noice jacket! I'd wear that no problem. I have one not quite as tapered as this that I wear in cooler weather. It is the right kind of shine and flash; a very elegant look that should garner you many a compliment. Very comfy to wear too.
Contrary to FlyingMonkey's advice on wearing with cords, I personally would never wear a velvet jacket with cords. That would be garrish overkill. Denim as a last resort but I prefer light wool slacks with a jacket like this. My $0.02 worth.

Last edited:

Chillax

Reaction score
Velvet is great but it is inherently flashy and will attract attention and comments
You have to decide whether this is a good fit with your personal style

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rock that jacket like a pop icon. Looks good, has a nice shape to it, and I love the color on that bad boy. The best part is, you will rarely run into another guy with the swagger to wear one at the same place you are...unlike navy blue sport coats. I'm completely comfortable being a little different than the rest of the party.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Personally I'd buy it, if you can pull it off go for it. If you're a little unsure of being able to wear it you might consider moleskin, it looks velvet-ish in low light but during the day it's subdued.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got that same jacket but in a blue and black micro gingham, unlined. It's one of my favorites, super slim, quite a bit flashy, but a cool piece for sure. Picked it up at the Barney's sale for about $250-300 or something but would have paid closer to $400-450 if I had to. Full Retail was $800-900 which is too much IMO, but at $400-450 I'd say yeah... go for it! Just keep in mind that the velvet fabric's quite 'baller' as the kids say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads