• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet Slipper Durability and Maintenance

Reinhold

Reaction score
I bought a new pair of velvet slippers at Trickers today, and I'm very pleased. They are leather lined with a great fit. They seemed to be slightly better quality than Crockett & Jones, New and Lingwood, and Church's models that I saw. I'm just wondering what kind of durability to expect out of these with normal outdoor wear. The leather sole is very thin, and I'm considering a topy or maybe toe taps to extend their longevity. Will it be possible to resole these when the time comes? As with with all the velvet slippers I saw, there is no exposed stitching on the sole, which makes me doubt it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they're supposed to be worn outside...

Reinhold

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the leather bottomed versions are intended for short jaunts outside, in the same vein as driving shoes. While they may not be intended for extended walking, I do believe they are designed with out of house wear in mind.

Lafcadio

Reaction score
Today received via eBay a pair of Trickers Burgundy Churchill Velvet slippers size 13 UK for which I paid £21.22 + post £5.00. Actual postage was more like £8.
They are almost as new with just a few scratches on the soles from Paris catwalk wear, says seller ! I'd like to know that story - models even male with size 13s ?
They are pretty wonderful, house use only as previously advised, but not my size which is more 9.5 or 10 UK. I got them for my elder daughter's big footed boyfriend possibly as a future Christmas present or even for my brother who is a 13.
Could not resist bidding low and surprised to achieve a winning bid after being out all day and returning to success. Size was a put off, I suppose.
They are said to cost ca. £300 new and I would love to think I could wear some enormous sock
and keep them for myself to lounge around in at Christmas or dinner party evenings where I largely remain seated.
In any event, I feel they are too good now to donate to the abovementioned who may struggle to appreciate their true magnificence.
Any comments or advice ?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no way for you to comfortably wear a shoe 3 sizes too big, you couldn't walk without them falling off. Also trickers doesn't have a runway show so any wear wouldn't have been from a cat walk, they're probably just used.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafcadio
Today received via eBay a pair of Trickers Burgundy Churchill Velvet slippers size 13 UK for which I paid £21.22 + post £5.00. Actual postage was more like £8.
They are almost as new with just a few scratches on the soles from Paris catwalk wear, says seller ! I'd like to know that story - models even male with size 13s ?
They are pretty wonderful, house use only as previously advised, but not my size which is more 9.5 or 10 UK. I got them for my elder daughter's big footed boyfriend possibly as a future Christmas present or even for my brother who is a 13.
Could not resist bidding low and surprised to achieve a winning bid after being out all day and returning to success. Size was a put off, I suppose.
They are said to cost ca. £300 new and I would love to think I could wear some enormous sock
and keep them for myself to lounge around in at Christmas or dinner party evenings where I largely remain seated.
In any event, I feel they are too good now to donate to the abovementioned who may struggle to appreciate their true magnificence.
Any comments or advice ?

I will buy them from you if you post to NY.

Lafcadio

Reaction score
That's very kind, but I would not want to post across the water. I shall see what SWMBO says -
probably see what my daughter thinks. I could always hope to encourage the boy into some kind of sartorial awareness. Some hope for a sneaker wearing giant. He will probably ruin them, but we'll see.

Lafcadio

Reaction score
I know you are right. Maybe some other fashion house used these for the catwalk ? Will never know and it does not matter - just what the seller said and no reason to lie. They reaslly require a smoking jacket, methinks.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reinhold
...Will it be possible to resole these when the time comes? As with with all the velvet slippers I saw, there is no exposed stitching on the sole, which makes me doubt it.

The sole and heel is a single unit which can be replaced relatively easily as per a conversation I had with Shaun & Mike at broadland slippers.

I also have a pair of Tricker's Churchill slippers, which I have worn outdoors on many occasions and the soles are finally wearing thin. Having ordered several pairs of 'Albert' slippers from Broadland, I asked the chaps about replacing the soles on my Tricker's. No problem and at a cost of approx. £20 it won't break the bank either.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reinhold
I bought a new pair of velvet slippers at Trickers today, and I'm very pleased. They are leather lined with a great fit. They seemed to be slightly better quality than Crockett & Jones, New and Lingwood, and Church's models that I saw. I'm just wondering what kind of durability to expect out of these with normal outdoor wear. The leather sole is very thin, and I'm considering a topy or maybe toe taps to extend their longevity. Will it be possible to resole these when the time comes? As with with all the velvet slippers I saw, there is no exposed stitching on the sole, which makes me doubt it.

Albert slippers are a PERFECT candidate for a Topy and heel tap. i don't think many local cobblers would have the skill to replace such a delicate sole, and even if they did, it would surely be riskier and costlier than a Topy.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very kind, but I would not want to post across the water. I shall see what SWMBO says -
probably see what my daughter thinks. I could always hope to encourage the boy into some kind of sartorial awareness. Some hope for a sneaker wearing giant. He will probably ruin them, but we'll see.

They should actually be less than 15GBP to post to me. Via Royal Mail signed for.

I've had shoes & trees shipped for 18 quid.

Lafcadio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
They should actually be less than 15GBP to post to me. Via Royal Mail signed for.

I've had shoes & trees shipped for 18 quid.

We'll see what my wife and daughter think, after due consideration, but I do not want to sell them on. They could be too small for the giant, in which case my brother may get them if he's very very brotherly to me at some point in the future. We have actually stopped giving each other presents because I got fed up with receiving naff vases and the like.
Sorry if this disappoints.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'll see what my wife and daughter think, after due consideration, but I do not want to sell them on. They could be too small for the giant, in which case my brother may get them if he's very very brotherly to me at some point in the future. We have actually stopped giving each other presents because I got fed up with receiving naff vases and the like.
Sorry if this disappoints.

Very well. I can tell you with my Sovereigns one trip to the deli and back literally ate the heels off.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy