• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegan/Vegetarian?

JonHecht

Reaction score
Is anyone a vegan/vegetarian for health reasons?

I became a vegan about two years ago and am significantly healthier. I was 220 then and am 170 now (6'1").

At first I became a vegan for ethical reasons, then I stopped caring about animals--seriously, I like shoes too much--but remained one for health reasons. It is extremely difficult to not be healthy when one is a vegan.

Anyone else in the same boat?

hamish5178

Reaction score
I've lost 25 pounds since becoming a veggie, and I haven't changed my activity level at all.

The only downside is dealing with people who think that burgers and steak, not a dick and balls, are what make you a man.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edamame; the complete protien.

JonHecht

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
The only downside is dealing with people who think that burgers and steak, not a dick and balls, are what make you a man.

I was hanging out with my brother and we grabbed some snacks. I got some vegetables and my brother mentioned that I am a vegan to his friends. I didn't even bring it up (I intentionally avoid mentioning it in public for the following reason).

One of his friends stood up and started yelling at me. He was literally yelling. He went on about how I'm not even human if I don't eat meat, etc. Needless to say I was somewhat shocked, but after a bit I was simply bemused.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
It is extremely difficult to not be healthy when one is a vegan.

I disagree. All the vegans/veggies I know drink A LOT and smoke (and "smoke"). There is a lot of vegan junk food which is full of trans fats and other mystery ingredients.

Vegan/veggie calories add up just as fast as carnivore calories.

I think eating less meat/dairy is an honorable cause..... but I like variety.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is extremely difficult to not be healthy when one is a vegan.
It's somewhat hard. Have to make sure you eat right to get enough/correct protein, vitamins, etc. I once saw a Vit B deficient vegan as a student. I'm sure I'll run into this more in my training and career.

Vegetarian > vegan IMO

Note: I love meat (not that kind you assholes). I had beef and broccoli for dinner. So it's not like I have a preference for being vegetarian.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, being a vagitarian trumps being a vegetarian or vegan.

allreds

Reaction score
vegan in 92. lacto/ovo veg from 93 to present. sometimes i'm healthy, sometimes i eat all two dozen chocolate chip cookies my wife makes on a given night.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm a vegetarian not because I love animals, but rather I really hate plants"

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried being a vegetarian for a month. ate a ton of soy protein was strick with my diet, but got way too soft. had to start eating meat again.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Soy babies taste the same. Of course, they have to be artificially flavored to taste like sperm.

FTFY

I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons I guess, but aside from a little extra padding it's kept me healthy.

M.D.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
"I'm a vegetarian not because I love animals, but rather I really hate plants"

I really like vegetables. That way, my food has something to eat.

lucidy

Reaction score
I was vegetarian for a year, but then stopped because I got really skinny(I was skinny to start off tho). I still drink only soya milk, but I do eat seafood. Still healthy and all, just eating meat every now and then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads