• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

van Laack Shirts?

xspider

Reaction score
What do you think of van Laack shirts? Any experience with the shirts (Quality?) Would you recommend them?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a few - they're very good quality, but some of them have an annoying embroidered "vL" monogram on the cuff. They also have the added quirk that the buttons have three holes. The cut is middle-of-the-road, good, slim-ish, but nothing extreme.

Duveen

Reaction score
They are fine European shirts. I saw them all the time in Germany, but they definitely seemed fairly middle of the road...

Gherkins

Reaction score
They are very highly rated in Germany - but once I've tried H&K there was no going back.
Workmanship around the shoulders and the fit of the cuffs are definitely not my taste.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have different lines. Some are OK, some are meh. Of German shirtmakers, I prefer Jacques Britt to Van Laack.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found one in a store this morning and was going to ask the same question - this was a Van Laack 'Royal', with (shanked!) MoP buttons. However, the cut was rather generous and I didn't care for the shirt pocket (nor the lack of a split yoke, but that's a vanity issue).

boo

Reaction score
In case it hasn't already been mentioned, they have a recently opened store in Manhattan on Madison between 43rd and 44th. I just noticed the store today on my way out from AE. Mens items consisted mostly of dress shirts, along with some ties, belts, and cufflinks. A sizeable chunk of their stock is 50% off. I don't recall at what prices the shirts start, but the ones I looked at were around $150 (before the 50% off). Sleeve shortening and darts are free of charge, even on sale shirts. They have a MTM program, but I recall a starting price of $250 being mentioned.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A store near where I work stocks them.
They have two different levels of Van Laack shirts in store - I can't remember the name of one, but the other is the "Royal" line.
Not bad quality, but pretty damned expensive for what you get, as far as I could see.
Also, they seem to outsource a lot of their production to SE Asia - Vietnam and the like.
I tend to baulk at paying AUD$250 for a shirt when I suspect that it was made by someone in a sweatshop and cost the company a total of about $10 in materials and labour...

neyus

Reaction score
There are number of different levels of quality in the Van Laack line up. Royal and Handmade. Royal appears to be your standard middle of the road, shirt equivalent to in make and materials as an Italian shirtmaker such as Ingram. The handmade line is quite nice, and comparable to Borelli, unfortunately the price seems to be up there with them as well. Which would be okay if the shirt wasn't made in Vietnam. Makes me think that they aren't passing the savings on to the customer.

Actually in the Van Laack catalogue they mention that they built a nursery for staff at their factory. They obviously want to let people know that their shirts aren't built in some sweatshop. The pictures of the factory looked nice too.

pkiula

Reaction score
Top of the line shirts if you get the D or E fabrics. The stitching is fantastic, the retail on the Italian style collar (you can pick your style from several options) is gorgeous, the fabric holds up to multiple washings. It's surely better than some of the run of the mill Borrelli stuff, especially when handmade and tailored. They send it back to Germany for the actual construction. I love these shirts and recommend them highly...better than many tailors in Singapore for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads