• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Airways Jet Crashes in Hudson River??

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
came in very slowly supposedly.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
are they all standing on the wing in that pick?

Yes. You can see it better in the link below the posted picture. For some reason I can't post that picture though.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... a 320... still a pretty large plane. Damned Canadians!

Originally Posted by robin
How do you define successful? 100% survival rate amongst those on board?

I thought there was really only the one example ever, Ethiopian 961, but Wikipedia lists a number, and some with pretty good survival rates.

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
link?

not seeing this yet on my interwebs...

Originally Posted by chrome_dout
CBC news says a small jet crashed into the Hudson river near Manhattan. Hopefully there are survivors.

Originally Posted by Kuro
US Airways Jet Forced to Land in Hudson River Off Manhattan After Hitting Flock of Geese: WNBC-TV (story developing)

Originally Posted by Magician
Wow, that is frightening stuff

Also why is SF a faster source of news for me then major news outlets?

According to reports of the time of the crash, this was posted on SF less than 20 minutes after it happened... crazy power of the interwebz!!

Very happy to hear that everyone is ok... I am sure there is footage of this out there somewhere!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't many pilots say boeing or i'm not going?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who really listens to the flight attendants anyway?

I figure if by this time you don't know how to use the safety strap, then you are marsupialed or deserves to be thrown free in the event of a crash.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
don't many pilots say boeing or i'm not going?

I actually think Airbus makes a nicer jet. But I'm not a pilot, so what do I know? In any case, the engines failed, not the airframe. Probably GE.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
supposedly hit @ 41st

Damn, I have a friend who lives at 42nd & 11th...I need to tell him to get on the roof of his building and get some pics!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I actually think Airbus makes a nicer jet. But I'm not a pilot, so what do I know? In any case, the engines failed, not the airframe. Probably GE.

Birds do that to engines
confused.gif

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Wow... a 320... still a pretty large plane. Damned Canadians!

I thought there was really only the one example ever, Ethiopian 961, but Wikipedia lists a number, and some with pretty good survival rates.

Wiki already lists today's crash !!!

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Survival Rates of Passenger Plane Water Ditchings

In all cases where a passenger plane has undergone an intentional water landing or ditching, some or all of the occupants have survived. Examples of water landings in which passengers survived are:

* On 15 Jan 2009, US Airways Flight 1549 ditched into the Hudson River in New York City, after multiple bird strikes. All 151 aboard escaped and were rescued by passenger ferries.

khoi

Reaction score
i'm calling it, stephen colbert will add birds to his "on notice" board in the near future

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad's a pilot for usairways and I fly to NY from Charlotte on them constantly so this hits really close to home. I hope people realize how incredible it is for a plane to land in water and stay intact. I still can't imagine how it didn't rip apart or just sink instantly.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that was one hell of a landing! Everyone survived and the plane is intact. Props to the pilot!

andyw

Reaction score
hmmm.....I'm booked on the Shuttle tomorrow AM headed to Boston, either I take the Acela or bring the wetsuit.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
hmmm.....I'm booked on the Shuttle tomorrow AM headed to Boston, either I take the Acela or bring the wetsuit.
Could you imagine the **** you could start if you wore a wetsuit on board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads