• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upgrading Suits

CharlieV

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'd like some advice on my next suit purchase.

I work in an office and wear a suit to work everyday. I started right out of college about a year and a half ago and bought 3 cheap suits, all $200-400, from Macy's and Jos A Banks. I've saved up some money and want to purchase a "next step up" suit, I was thinking something in the $400-600 price range. I went to Macy's and Nordstrom's and nothing really impressed me, and after browsing this site a little bit I see a lot people advocating buying nicer, more expensive suits second-hand.

In your opinion is there anything worth the money in the $400-600 price range? If so, where? I can't imagine Saks or Neiman Marcus will have anything this cheap. Am I better off shopping for a more expensive suit? Or should I try used suits - including the selection from this website?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? What about Brooks Brothers? Unless you know suits well or (rarely the case) have no decent local options, you shouldn't buy online without trying on first.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Where do you live? What about Brooks Brothers? Unless you know suits well or (rarely the case) have no decent local options, you shouldn't buy online without trying on first.

True, but SuitSupply is free shipping both ways, so it's pretty much a free try-on as long as you don't mind the hassle.

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Another vote for suitsupply. Definitely a more modern cut (up to you to decide if that is a pro or con), and the construction quality is good (for the price).

If you can stretch your budget very slightly, http://www.kentwang.com/suits would be my vote- the early reports of these are extremely good, and MTM for the same price as OTR is almost unheard of (and awesome).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I say save up a bit more and get a Brooks regent suit on sale. They go on sale all of the time.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I'd like some advice on my next suit purchase.

I work in an office and wear a suit to work everyday.  I started right out of college about a year and a half ago and bought 3 cheap suits, all $200-400, from Macy's and Jos A Banks.  I've saved up some money and want to purchase a "next step up" suit, I was thinking something in the $400-600 price range.  I went to Macy's and Nordstrom's and nothing really impressed me, and after browsing this site a little bit I see a lot people advocating buying nicer, more expensive suits second-hand.

In your opinion is there anything worth the money in the $400-600 price range?  If so, where?  I can't imagine Saks or Neiman Marcus will have anything this cheap.  Am I better off shopping for a more expensive suit?  Or should I try used suits - including the selection from this website?  

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  

More info is needed from you such as:

What size are you?
Do you know your suit measurements?
What type of office environment?
What sort of shoes do you wear?

There are several brands of suit that can be had on the cheap depending on the answers to the questions above, but no one can really steer you in the right direction without that pertinent info.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the Brooks Brothers suggestion. You can get an 1818 BB suit on sale for $500-600 twice a year.

jammyo40

Reaction score
Also agree with Brooks Brothers. They always have 25% off sales throughout the year and sometimes even 40% (or more if you buy online). My suggestion would be to go into a store and determine your size then wait. You should also be ready to buy in a moment's notice as the more popular colors and sizes tend to go very quick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads