• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upgrading a wall mounted tv

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ben85
I did some searching and people have hung tvs from metal studs using toggle bolts.
toggle.gif

Here is a picture of how thin the studs are.
standard%20c%20stud.JPG

With the studs being so thin, some suggest opening your wall up and replacing the studs with 2 wood 2x4's. Not a terribly large job, but you will have to do some plaster and paint work. You could probably get away hanging an LED or LCD off metal studs, but a heavy plasma, it might be cheap insurance to do something to beef up the metal.

Cheers. I've read about the toggle bolt solution but like you said, i doubt it'd work for a heavy plasma (which is what I have).

2 x 4's might be the way to go.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Get a tilt/swivel/whatever and hang a frame on the wall so that TV is framed when the arm is retracted. The TV will look more finished and you won't have a visible gap between the back of the TV and the wall.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would post what I learned on here so nobody has to wonder which mount to buy.

The back of your TV has holes that the mount attaches to. It's somewhat standard but different from model to model. You have the measure the horizontal and vertical distances. This is the VESA measurement or something like that. The guys on monoprice can tell you yours based on the model often but it's still good to measure yourself. Then look on monoprice for a compatible mount.

Next thing to pay attention to on monoprice is the measurement of the plates that attach to your TV. So for example, if you have a 32inch tv and the plate itself is 32 inches, that's too big. I found only one mount with a face plate and VESA measurement small enough for my 32 inch TV and most likely large enough to still accommodate a much larger TV.

And finally, look at the minimum or closed distance from the wall. The smaller swivel ones were around 3 inches and so were the tilt ones. I'd imagine if you wanted flush to the wall, it would be an even shorter distance. I went with a twilt and swivel combo which was 5 inches since the extra 2 inches may not be a huge deal given the convenience for me.

And on monoprice, they tell you what kind of wall the mount is for so if you need to hang it in steel, concrete, brick, wood, etc.

I added a wire on top of that, paid the RIDICULOUS shipping fee and was done with it. The mounts at bestbuy that swivel do not tilt which was annoying. I'll have it put up as soon as it arrives and be done with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads