• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirts with short jackets

AmirF27

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but I tried googling for an answer and couldn't find anything. Basically, I'm untucked guy, and I've been trying to figure out how would someone wear an untucked shirt with a short jacket, like a leather or Harrington jacket for example.

I ended up getting a duffle coat so that the extra length could cover the bottom of the shirt, so that could be one solution. But at some point I would like to get a leather or Harrington jacket, and the shirt protruding underneath it wouldn't be the best look ever. I'm talking specifically about button up shirts, but I have a polo and a henley that would also protrude. I have been considering moving to tucked in shirts, like, wearing them casually everyday. This would require me to get other types of shirts, the more formal ones (since they're longer and designed to be tucked in). I'm just not sure how this look would be perceived nowadays, especially considering that I'm 26. My uncle dresses this way all the time and nobody judges him, but there's a 25 year difference between us so I'm afraid to take this step. Plus I don't want to come across as overdressed, even though I do like the look and I don't think it's formal in any way (it's not like I'm gonna start walking around in suits).

What would you guys do if you were me? Any advice would be appreciated.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, do not be afraid. There is nothing to fear about tucking in a shirt.

Second, you have no way of knowing if your uncle is judged for his attire, as all but the most boorish individuals keep such judgments to themselves.

At your age a few dress shirts would be a timely wardrobe upgrade. These days I suppose one is not even required to tuck them in, although I write those words with trembling hand. Some dandies even wear untucked shirts under a suit; I would reserve that look for linen, at a resort.

AmirF27

Reaction score
First, do not be afraid. There is nothing to fear about tucking in a shirt.

Second, you have no way of knowing if your uncle is judged for his attire, as all but the most boorish individuals keep such judgments to themselves.

At your age a few dress shirts would be a timely wardrobe upgrade. These days I suppose one is not even required to tuck them in, although I write those words with trembling hand. Some dandies even wear untucked shirts under a suit; I would reserve that look for linen, at a resort.
The reason I'm afraid is tucked in shirts tend to give off a more formal and "old" feeling, if this makes sense. They do look much more mature and in my opinion better, but people around here aren't really used to someone my age dressing this way casually. That's the main reason I'm afraid. The second reason is I'm considering dressing this way all the time.

Most of my shirts are button ups, but they're very casual and cut shorter so they can be worn untucked, so that's how I wear them. The thing is it just doesn't look mature enough. Maybe it looks better than a t-shirt, but I still don't think it's a necessarily mature look.

What do you think? What would you think of a 26 year old wearing tucked in dress shirts casually all the time?

Edit: This is kind of the look I'm talking about: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/33/a0/da/...--business-casual-men-spring-business-men.jpg

Would it be weird if someone dress this way all the time?

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score
tucked in shirts tend to give off a more formal and "old" feeling,

Most of my shirts are cut shorter so they can be worn untucked, so that's how I wear them.
The thing is it just doesn't look mature enough.
You've hit the nail on the head. Untucked shirts aren't just 'casual,' they also carry the connotation of 'sloppy.' It's also indicates that you're dressing for comfort instead of looking presentable.
Obviously, you want to fit in with your friends, but at some point you must decide which message you want to send to the world around you: "I'm adult who can dress appropriately" or "I'm still a child." This non-verbal cue will affect the ways that others treat you, both men and... women :)

AmirF27

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head. Untucked shirts aren't just 'casual,' they also carry the connotation of 'sloppy.' It's also indicates that you're dressing for comfort instead of looking presentable.
Obviously, you want to fit in with your friends, but at some point you must decide which message you want to send to the world around you: "I'm adult who can dress appropriately" or "I'm still a child." This non-verbal cue will affect the ways that others treat you, both men and... women :)
My friends don't seem to be growing up with me, so if my goal is to fit in with them, I'll always look childish. They'll have to accept the new me. They still wear graphic tees, hoodies, ripped jeans, sneakers (they don't even do sports), you name it. My family has been criticising me heavily on my sudden clothing style change. I used to wear graphic tees and sneakers until 2 months ago, but this is a step I've been considering for a long time. Last time I was going out with friends, I wore dark jeans, chukkas, and an untucked casual checkered button up, and I was shocked when my aunt suggested that I change because I looked "formal." It's this stuff that's making me scared of moving to more grown up tucked in shirts.

Just to be clear we're talking about the same thing, by dressing like an adult, you mean wearing tucked in dress shirts, right? I'll ask again, because I just want to be sure since this would be a huge step for me, is there anything wrong with wearing tucked in dress shirts all the time, even casually?

EDIT: Also, wouldn't dressing this way basically be considered business casual? Is it ok for someone to always be wearing business causal?

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score
Just to be clear we're talking about the same thing, by dressing like an adult, you mean wearing tucked in dress shirts, right?
Yes, among other things. As one part of one's wardrobe changes, usually other parts will change as well. E.g. casual comfortable athletic shoes don't match buttoning shirts.
My friends don't seem to be growing up with me, so if my goal is to fit in with them, I'll always look childish.
That can be painful, but also consider that when they see how YOU dress, they might feel motivated to change how they dress, too.

Also, wouldn't dressing this way basically be considered business casual? Is it ok for someone to always be wearing business causal?
No, tucked in shirts do not equal business casual...tucked in shirts just mean that you're not sloppy. 'Business shirts' (for lack of a better descriptor) will be different material, different pattern, and different style than casual shirts. The term 'business casual,' while highly amorphous, also entails other things like proper trousers, decent leather shoes, sometimes a tie, and often a blazer or jacket.
The reactions from your friends and family are to be expected. They've known the adolescent-you for all your life, and suddenly you are becoming someone else---the adult-you. Once they see that your change is permanent, they'll stop reacting to it.

AmirF27

Reaction score
Yes, among other things. As one part of one's wardrobe changes, usually other parts will change as well. E.g. casual comfortable athletic shoes don't match buttoning shirts.

That can be painful, but also consider that when they see how YOU dress, they might feel motivated to change how they dress, too.

No, tucked in shirts do not equal business casual...tucked in shirts just mean that you're not sloppy. 'Business shirts' (for lack of a better descriptor) will be different material, different pattern, and different style than casual shirts. The term 'business casual,' while highly amorphous, also entails other things like proper trousers, decent leather shoes, sometimes a tie, and often a blazer or jacket.
The reactions from your friends and family are to be expected. They've known the adolescent-you for all your life, and suddenly you are becoming someone else---the adult-you. Once they see that your change is permanent, they'll stop reacting to it.
Of course I'd wear something like a t-shirt with athletic shoes, but I'm not going to that gym at the moment so I won't need them. What are the other things you were referring to? Also, assuming I'm not going to the gym, the beach, doing sports, those kinds of activities, then it's safe to wear a tucked in dress shirt the rest of the time, right?

Also, do you have any photos of what you mean by causal shirts vs "business shirts?" For example, this is a shirt I got recently: https://m.castro.com/he/MEN/Shirts/Blue-check-button-down-shirt-289585.html
I'm assuming that's not what you mean by causal shirt. It's almost too casual and I have the feeling it's "trendy" rather than a real shirt an adult should be wearing. It would be great if you could explain what kind of shirt would be considered casual and what's "business" (like what kind of material you meant), preferably with photos so I could distinguish. I don't want to ruin the look by overdressing.

Also, I'll be wearing leather shoes and I'm considering getting a blazer. Is it ok to be wearing a blazer/sports coat casually?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my.

In West Africa where I lived for some time, children still wear uniforms to public school. The reason is not to beat them into submission (the teachers have canes for that) but rather to create an equal playing field—so you don’t have a situation where the poorest kids wear literal rags and the less poor kids (there are no rich kids) wear snappier civilian garb. In their uniforms they all look the same.

Western society once had similar “uniforms” in the sense that men knew what was appropriate to wear at various events. Today anything goes, but that freedom comes at a steep price because nobody knows what to wear anymore.

In the fashion free-for-all we live in, one must make choices based on one’s own judgment, which like politics is guaranteed to offend someone. No matter—you must stand boldly before your wardrobe and choose to wear what you like. Short of disrespecting dress codes at formal events like a wedding, or exposing yourself on the bus, others’ offense at your attire is their problem, not yours.

It sounds like you want to dress better, so just do it, and damn the torpedoes. You will probably find yourself attracting new friends, some of whom may want to undress you passionately and others who may want to hire you. This is a good problem to have.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Women have been doing that for ages. I think it looks lame 95% of the time on guys. By itself, an untucked shirt with jeans in a casual setting looks fine and relaxed especially with the sleeves rolled up, but not having the tails sticking out from a jacket or sweater.

AmirF27

Reaction score
Oh my.

In West Africa where I lived for some time, children still wear uniforms to public school. The reason is not to beat them into submission (the teachers have canes for that) but rather to create an equal playing field—so you don’t have a situation where the poorest kids wear literal rags and the less poor kids (there are no rich kids) wear snappier civilian garb. In their uniforms they all look the same.

Western society once had similar “uniforms” in the sense that men knew what was appropriate to wear at various events. Today anything goes, but that freedom comes at a steep price because nobody knows what to wear anymore.

In the fashion free-for-all we live in, one must make choices based on one’s own judgment, which like politics is guaranteed to offend someone. No matter—you must stand boldly before your wardrobe and choose to wear what you like. Short of disrespecting dress codes at formal events like a wedding, or exposing yourself on the bus, others’ offense at your attire is their problem, not yours.

It sounds like you want to dress better, so just do it, and damn the torpedoes. You will probably find yourself attracting new friends, some of whom may want to undress you passionately and others who may want to hire you. This is a good problem to have.
There are no dress codes where I live (Israel). Believe me when I say this. I had my first ever real job interview a while ago. I went all dressed up, only to find out one of the interviewers was wearing a t-shirt (it even had a small strain on it), jeans, and sneakers. Not even canvas sneakers, but the ones you'd wear to the gym. It's that bad here.

People quite literally don't know how to dress here. Even with my untucked extremely casual button up shirts I get comments. I'm really scared of taking this step. I want it so bad and have made the decision to start the transition during the next few months, but I'm really scared.

I mean try to imagine seeing a 26 year old with dress shoes, chinos, dress shirt, and possibly a blazer, dressing this way on a daily basis (except for the gym and whatnot). Especially in our days. What would you think?

AmirF27

Reaction score
Women have been doing that for ages. I think it looks lame 95% of the time on guys. By itself, an untucked shirt with jeans in a casual setting looks fine and relaxed especially with the sleeves rolled up, but not having the tails sticking out from a jacket or sweater.
You know what's crazy though? As I was saying above, a few days ago my aunt asked me to change my untucked button up because it's "formal." And this is what my brother told me a few days ago: "At least I don't wear a button up to my grandparent's home." My grandparents and uncle are really happy for the change I'm going through, since in their time that's how people dressed, but everyone else is criticising me heavily. Well, apart from one girl who's been constantly telling that I know how to dress unlike most guys she knows, and that's with an untucked shirt.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple issues at play here. Sounds like you have family that likes to dress extremely casual and they're sensitive about it. They put you down for "dressing formal" because it's a stark contrast to how they like to dress and they feel like you're "showing them up". That's unfortunate. But, you have to stand up to your family - there's nothing inappropriate about how you're dressing. Don't let them belittle you for it. My wife's family is extremely casual - like yours. I don't look down on them or disrespect them for dressing the way they dress and they don't make comments about the way I dress. That's the way it should be. But, that's something you have to make happen with your family.

The much simpler issue is - no, generally speaking it doesn't look good to have a shirt hanging out of a jacket. As you've done, you just need a longer coat if you want to wear a shirt like that - as long as that casual of a dress style is appropriate for where you are going. But, sometimes, you really should have a shirt tucked in.

I will say this - make sure the shirt is well fitting - it looks real sloppy if the shirt is untucked and too big and baggy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads