• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo for Tall, Slim Gentleman

waltwhitman

Reaction score
Hello to all. I trust that I can find top-notch input here about an important and time-sensitive style matter.

I need to purchase a tuxedo for an upcoming black tie event. I have never worn or owned a tuxedo before. I am about 6'2'' and slim (typically wear 14.5 shirts). Where is the best place to get a tuxedo that will fit me well? Do I need a "Tall" size? How long should the jacket be? I have heard the classic advice that your hand should be able to cup the bottom of the jacket - but recently I have seen many people wearing shorter jackets. I am only concerned with what would look the best, not the price per-se.

I have seen a number of brands, including Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger at Macys, as well as JCrew selling some nice looking Tuxedos, but I'm not sure if these will fit someone of my measurements. There is also the option of ordering a custom tux from ModernTailor or Ravis Tailor -- has anyone here had experiences getting a tux from these tailoring shops?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
bigstar[1].gif

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seek the elusive 38L (...caveat: I have yet to find a better-than-rental-caliber 38L tuxedo). If price and time allow it and you have someone reputable nearby, MTM is probably your best bet.

waltwhitman

Reaction score
Which MTM service would you recommend? Is ModernTailor better than Ravis Tailor or others? (I see a lot of people here use Modern Tailor, but I haven't seen photos of suits/tuxes made)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waltwhitman
Hello to all. I trust that I can find top-notch input here about an important and time-sensitive style matter.

I need to purchase a tuxedo for an upcoming black tie event. I have never worn or owned a tuxedo before. I am about 6'2'' and slim (typically wear 14.5 shirts). Where is the best place to get a tuxedo that will fit me well? Do I need a "Tall" size? How long should the jacket be? I have heard the classic advice that your hand should be able to cup the bottom of the jacket - but recently I have seen many people wearing shorter jackets. I am only concerned with what would look the best, not the price per-se.

I have seen a number of brands, including Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger at Macys, as well as JCrew selling some nice looking Tuxedos, but I'm not sure if these will fit someone of my measurements. There is also the option of ordering a custom tux from ModernTailor or Ravis Tailor -- has anyone here had experiences getting a tux from these tailoring shops?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
bigstar[1].gif

it would be a good start to tell people where you live though there is no way to short circuit you putting the effort in by visiting shops until you find something that fits. You cannot wear a computer screen....

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which MTM service would you recommend? Is ModernTailor better than Ravis Tailor or others? (I see a lot of people here use Modern Tailor, but I haven't seen photos of suits/tuxes made)

Not an online one. Seconded, the above advice to post your area.

waltwhitman

Reaction score
I am located in Washington DC. I am willing to drive to Baltimore, Philly, and am often in New York City as well. My price point is $625

Does anyone have experience with Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein or any other name brand tuxedos?

Can someone PLEASE tell me how long the jacket should ideally be? Should it end where my wrist is? Where my fingertips are? Should it just cover my behind? (Keeping in mind that I want to avoid want to looking like a bean pole)

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Appropriate jacket length can vary based on body proportions and style. Personally, I go by the "should cover your ass but not farther" rule. There's a trend towards shorter jackets recently, avoid that if you are looking for something timeless that won't be dated in a couple years when people realize that they've been wearing women's jackets and switch back to a proper length.

MTM with a budget of $625 is tight (may be undoable) except for on-line. If you can't get OTR you might have to reconsider your budget.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am located in Washington DC. I am willing to drive to Baltimore, Philly, and am often in New York City as well. My price point is $625
Ahh, handy! You've got some MTM options, albeit not many, with that price. I visited the folks at VM Clothiers during one of their exhibitions last year and will most likely end up using them in the fall to replace my current 15-year-old tuxedo. They had a reasonable selection of fabrics and everything I've seen online makes it seem that their suit design and construction are reasonable enough for my standards (I spend a night or three each month in a tux and just need a workhorse). He may push your budget by $25-$75 but I would suggest it's worth it for an MTM tuxedo. I also went up to Elio at English American in Westminster last year to have a 3-piece suit made for my wedding next month. I am incredibly pleased with how that turned out, but his prices may be more out of your range and his philosophy of proper fit occasionally needs to be nudged in a slimmer direction. It goes without saying to brush up on what the pedants over at Black Tie Guide have to say about proper eveningwear before telling an MTM outfit what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads