• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to find a watch for my father, I need help-UPDATE-DONE, Just bought it!!

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have spend a few hours a week trying to find the perfect watch with no real sucess. I would like a watch for my father, he is in his early 70s with not perfect vision so something easy to read would be nice. He has large wrists, appox 7.5"-7.75" so a larger watch will not look too bad. He had worn a Omega Seamaster for 30 years, and still has it but its getting serviced and I would like to buy him a gift.
I put a strap on my Rolex Exp. 2 and had him wear it for a while, he liked it but not really due to the sporty appearance. The Panerai 112 he didnt like. Got a new Rolex President 18K Yellow gold with black dial...but it looked too yellow and small on his wrist. He is currently wearing my Seiko Black Monster on a strap, and it looks fine on his wrist, heck maybe a little small!
I went to a couple of shops here in town and looked at the new larger JLC Ultrathin, and its nice but the contrast is not too much between the dial and hands, not easy to read. Looked at the IWC portugese and its nice (white dial and blue hands) but its a little thick. The VC was nice but again, not a easy face to read.
I am going to look at the new Rolex day/date 2 in white gold or plat tomorrow as its larger now, but honestly after all this i really like the Omega, and specifically this one.
http://www.omegawatches.com/index.ph...337&no_cache=1

Kindly let me know if there is something else you would reccomend. I promise to keep you all updated on this quest. When I went with him to a rolex AD he wanted to buy me a new watch as he is happy with the Seiko, he is that kind of a guy!!
worship.gif

Regards.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure if these fit within your budget, but how about the JLC Amvox or the Master Compressor GMT? they certainly fit my criteria of being easy to read

Nexus6

Reaction score

agent86a

Reaction score
In my opinion, Glashutte Original has some beautiful, classic designs, particularly the Senator models.

This brand is a fair bit rarer than Rolex or Omega but if you are in the market for a high-end watch, I would take a look.

Best of luck with the search! Given the current state of the retail business you can probably drive a fairly good price with the dealers I would imagine.

http://www.glashuette-original.com/
Click "english" in the upper right--took me a little while to find it.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Omega, have you looked at the Railmaster XXL? Of course, at 49.2mm it might be too big.

While I love my sub, I don't think I would recommend a Rolex for the use you describe. Especially not the Deepsea, as your dad was turned off by the sportiness of the Explorer II. Plus, it's fat.

Even though he didn't like your new PAM 112, have you showed him the historic Radiomirs? Either the base (in steel or gold) or the Black Seal, maybe? (If he doesn't mind hand-winding it every day, of course.)

Or maybe a Stowa?

psionite

Reaction score
Have a look at Nomos, particurlarly the Tangomat, very good contrast on the dial, nice size and conservative in looks.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the suggestions.
worship.gif

I would like something simple, clear and 40ish mm face.
The JLC Master compressor is too complicated, as is the Daytona. I actually did look at the Daytona, esp the 18k/SS one as it was a little more dressy than the SS one. The Deepsea is nice, but sporty and fat. The Railmaster XXL is really really large, you are correct, and last time i couldnt find it at the Omega place in houston as I did consider it...they said they had one but took them a year to sell the watch, and they didnt want to stock it. Nomos is an obscure brand and I want something with a little pizzaz...thus the Timex is out for similar reasons. I also looked at the Radiomirs but they wear very large on the wrist, and again are fat too, plus I think he may have trouble handwinding a watch.

The Glasshutte, Dornblueth & Sohn, and IWC will be added to the list with the orig. Omega. I will try to find some time today and go out look at some of them, maybe take my father along!
I appreciate the suggestions, and welcome more!

Thanks and Regards.

NOLA1

Reaction score
The Stowa MO is highly legible and not too sporty. Stowa is introducing a black faced version of the MO in June/July if you want to go black.

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics