• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trimming one's own hair - tips?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've become interested in the idea of learning how to trim my own hair. I like a neatly-trimmed look, but I do not want to spend $25 every two weeks getting a hair cut.

Usually I keep my hair short, with a semi-awry look on top.

Anyone have any tips for doing this? Any techniques to make it easier? By the way, I do have a trimming kit (electric trimmer, scissors, etc) at my house.

quill

Reaction score
Hello, I've become interested in the idea of learning how to trim my own hair. Â I like a neatly-trimmed look, but I do not want to spend $25 every two weeks getting a hair cut. Usually I keep my hair short, with a semi-awry look on top. Anyone have any tips for doing this? Â Any techniques to make it easier? Â By the way, I do have a trimming kit (electric trimmer, scissors, etc) at my house.
VMan, Get yourself a lady.
biggrin.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(VersaceMan @ 24 June 2004, 2:35) Hello, I've become interested in the idea of learning how to trim my own hair. Â I like a neatly-trimmed look, but I do not want to spend $25 every two weeks getting a hair cut. Usually I keep my hair short, with a semi-awry look on top. Anyone have any tips for doing this? Â Any techniques to make it easier? Â By the way, I do have a trimming kit (electric trimmer, scissors, etc) at my house.
VMan, Get yourself a lady. Â
biggrin.gif

::Sigh:: Yeah, it's been three months of being a single guy, and as soon as the school year starts I am going to start dating again. I'd do it now, but a) I think it's best to wait a little bit longer (after a 2.5 year relationship) and b) I don't want to meet someone great and have it end up that they go to school 200 miles away. Back on topic, great idea. I just need someone with reasonably decent motor skills and some creativity (but not too much, I don't want to end up with a mohawk). Back off topic...what is up with girls? I went to this girl's place last night for a couple of drinks, then took her out to an elegant contemporary Italian restaurant downtown, and then for a walk downtown at night. We get back to her place, and I get to meet....her boyfriend. What was she thinking?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DO NOT TRUST your "lady" to cut your hair. Hahaha, that is just begging for an argument. You ever try giving your GF "constructive criticisim?" Besides, you don't want her to have sharp objects behind your back, do you?

Back to the topic, how long is your hair? If it's relatively short all the way around, it's pretty easy to cut your own hair. I did it all the time in college, when I couldn't find anyone that could do a decent job...I just got sick of paying for haircuts that I didn't like.
As for tools, you'll want to have clippers and appropriate guards. But the most important thing is to have at least two mirrors, so that you can see the back while you're cutting it.
As for the actual cutting, once you start doing it, it gets easier and easier. I was to the point where I could mostly do it by feel.
I think I remember perhaps Mr. Harris saying he cut his own hair too. Perhaps he or other members will share their tips as well.

marc37

Reaction score
Please remember: when you get a hair cut, have some extra nutritous meals for a couple of days to make up for the significant nutrition lost through cutting the hair.(Nutrients leach from the [wounded] hair for a couple of days. lt would be a good idea to take afew wheatgrass shots each day, or 500grams of organic alfalfa sprouts each day before meals).

WARNING
Hair cuts can be dangerous. Be prepared.

quill

Reaction score
Back off topic...what is up with girls? Â I went to this girl's place last night for a couple of drinks, then took her out to an elegant contemporary Italian restaurant downtown, and then for a walk downtown at night. Â We get back to her place, and I get to meet....her boyfriend. Â What was she thinking?
Unfortunately, there are some "users" out there, and I suspect we've all been used at one point. She knew what was up; but hey, she had a good time, and gets to eat her cake, too. Who knows? Maybe she is entertaining the idea of leaving her boyfriend, and was trying you out to see what it was like. The only way to know what she was thinking is to ask her (but ...I wouldn't trust her with barber shears.
sadlike.gif
)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I cut my own hair. It really depends on what kind of hair you have though. I can't imagine it would look good if I had straight hair. Mine is wavy and messy enough that it's hard to notice a mistake in cutting it, but I've gotten very good at it. I recommend a pair of scissors with a blunt tip and a sharp tip, a mirror in the shower, and a lot of patience. Go slow, pull out the hair you want shorter and cut it off a bit at a time. Your fingers will get tired very quickly at first but you'll get used to it. I'm not really sure what else to say.

Don't forget that wheatgrass enema before cutting.

marc37

Reaction score
lt's good that you mention enemas actually. l was going to mention those [in a special topic] actually.

l would suggest 4oz of wheat grass juice in an enema twice daily. lt will work miricles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads