• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trends you hate on plebs

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
I meant suits as an item, not the cut/style which has, and will, vary wildly as time goes on.

the cut/style is what defines a suit. a suit as an item, meaning trouser and jacket in matching fabric, doesnt mean a whole lot since the whole thing could be made of space age rubber and still be technically a "suit". so in that regard a suit will never be out of style, but it might be nothing like how we define "a suit" in this day and age

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
I meant suits as an item, not the cut/style which has, and will, vary wildly as time goes on.

But that's like saying pants are timeless. They aren't but it's such a generic description that they have had a pretty impressive longevity. I mean in the 19th century they also wore something that can be assimilated to suits, where does that lead us?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrono, he should have worn some real deal Roman legionaire type sandal boots, must be great for running.

And on that note, I need the Birkenstock Athens.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Good point, so smart workwear will never go out of fashion, but what we consider smart clothing could (will) change drastically.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the RW x timelessness discussion. If an item has been in production, and looked the same, for a 100 years, doesnt that by definition make it more "timeless" than say a... Raf bolero?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is with all this hipster hate? why not hate scenester instead! Are their still scene kids everywhere?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who dislike sandals obviously haven't lived long in a tropical climate.

I don't care if I look like a pleb, the weather is 32 Celsius on the average in Singapore, I gonna stick to my birks and Havaianas.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
On the RW x timelessness discussion. If an item has been in production, and looked the same, for a 100 years, doesnt that by definition make it more "timeless" than say a... Raf bolero?
who is to say that a raf bolero won't be worn in 100years? Your clothing isn't on some higher plane than high fashion "weird" things because it's inspired by library of congress pictures. I know you hate everything modern but you've only been wearing those kinds of clothes for maybe 10 years max. In 2075 who knows what the whole clothing scene will be like and what will be considered "classic timeless" fashion (which as we've discussed is impossible) will probably be different than what we consider classic timeless today.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^true and look at what the "classic" suit has been reduced to in this day and age. who is to say it won't drop out of sight in the next 20 years? i hope not but...
Originally Posted by Flame
People who dislike sandals obviously haven't lived long in a tropical climate. I don't care if I look like a pleb, the weather is 32 Celsius on the average in Singapore, I gonna stick to my birks and Havaianas.
i think the hate is more geared to flip-flops and the white kids that wear them in the snow.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Can an immortal be more immortal than another immortal? That RAF Bolero thing sucks now, you don't need to wait 50 yrs (sorry impolyt).

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Can an immortal be more immortal than another immortal?
I'd rather be the kind of immortal that doesn't age or become decrepit rather than live for eternity in suffering and pain. But i'm just ******* around. I agree that i hate the discussion of things being timeless and people pretending they're not effected by trends, their environment, the age they're in, and other stuff.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'd rather be the kind of immortal that doesn't age or become decrepit rather than live for eternity in suffering and pain. But i'm just ******* around. I agree that i hate the discussion of things being timeless and people pretending they're not effected by trends, their environment, the age they're in, and other stuff.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
They were all the rage among greeks. Plato wore that **** everyday to go snowboard.
laugh.gif
. **** that, Plato was too busy coppin' 'Preme to do any real riding. Box tees are the only real timeless item.
Originally Posted by DrPat
The Abercrombie/Hollister European invasion. A few years ago I didn't see any and now I see it being worn almost every day. People must buy from the internet because I don't think they have so many European retail shops.
Americana.
One day you are going to wake up and realize how ******* stupid you look. Either that or you are going to start wearing Cheap Monday and Schmoove because they are "CLASSIC VINTAGE THRIFT!" Maybe both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads