• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Trench length question, with pictures!

laxaj

Reaction score
Hi there.

Having been back in town for the holidays I took the opportunity to raid closets for things that nobody wears anymore and found this. I think this needs to be shortened a bit, but I'm not really quite sure exactly how far it needs to be taken. The blue tape marks the middle of my right knee for reference.

Thanks much

nonissue

Reaction score
I would take it to just above your right knee, but the sleeve length is way to short for you to not do anything with it, plus body needs to be WAY more fitted. it's gonna be significant work at a tailor.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
i would just forget it altogether, it looks like an altar-uniform, and length aside the quality looks so-so and it looks very thin (coats are suppose to keep us warm right?)

if you're going to cut it, maybe 3 inches higher than where the tape is

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give up on this one. You could crop it and suppress the waist easily enough, but you can't make the sleeves longer, and they are way too short.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like a women's coat, with the short sleeves

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW

Yes, I believe so since the it also buttons on the wrong side.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Give up on this one. You could crop it and suppress the waist easily enough, but you can't make the sleeves longer, and they are way too short.

+1.

laxaj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW

Haha. Well I guess that settles it.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, trust, coats are a bitch to have tailored -- a bitch for your wallet, that is. I bought one of J. Crew's topcoats this year and love it, but wanted the sides tailored ever-so-slightly, and it was going to run me $80+ at a tailor. I settled for having it slightly shortened at the reliable dry cleaner for $30 and might consider the work later, but it was a good way to learn that when I'm buying outerwear, it better fit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40