• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Treadmill vs stationary bike?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im looking to get a treadmill or stationary bike in my room. Space isnt much of an issue but i guess smaller is always a bit better.

Which do you think is better for weight loss purposes?

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
My vote would be for a real bike and a trainer which gives you more options than just a stationary bike. You can even get trainers that hook up to your computer and simulates riding actual UCI tour routes. I have a Tacx Fortius trainer with several DVDs and love it.

Never did like treadmills due to knee problems.

Just be aware that you'll have to ride a bike longer to get the same results as you would on a treadmill. I forget what the conversion is but I think its something like 4 miles on the bike = 1 mile jogging.

If you are dead set on an exercise machine, perhaps look at an elliptical? The biggest thing you need to fight is boredom, so pick something you enjoy and stick with.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seattle Bits
My vote would be for a real bike and a trainer which gives you more options than just a stationary bike.

+1. I have a cheap Trek roadbike and a Magura trainer. The bike probably sees 1km of asphalt for every 20km on the trainer.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seattle Bits
My vote would be for a real bike and a trainer which gives you more options than just a stationary bike. You can even get trainers that hook up to your computer and simulates riding actual UCI tour routes. I have a Tacx Fortius trainer with several DVDs and love it.
mmm aside from the option of taking out the real bike on the road, which id never do tbh, any other advantages over stationary bikes?

If you are dead set on an exercise machine, perhaps look at an elliptical? The biggest thing you need to fight is boredom, so pick something you enjoy and stick with.
I see them at the gym and never tried it. Do they give good results?

BRITINLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Im looking to get a treadmill or stationary bike in my room. Space isnt much of an issue but i guess smaller is always a bit better.

Which do you think is better for weight loss purposes?

By stationary bike do you mean the kind that are used in spinning classes?

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
mmm aside from the option of taking out the real bike on the road, which id never do tbh, any other advantages over stationary bikes?

Have a look at a Tacx Fortius and see. You put in a DVD of a UCI route and start out. The rate you pedal determines how fast/slow the DVD plays. You go up a hill on the DVD and the resistance on the trainer changes. Pretty realistic.

Like I said, your main opponent is boredom. I find that I enjoy riding on a Tacx Fortius almost as much as going out on the road. As a last result, if I have to ride a stationary bike, it almost always has to be in a spinning class as doing an hour on a stationary bike in front of a TV that has crap shows is pure hell.

Likewise can be said about the treadmill. Give me a place to run outdoors any day. Much more stimulating.

If I have to do cardio in the gym, it will most likely be on an elliptical. It gives a decent workout thats between riding a stationary and plodding on a treadmill. You get a impactless workout without having to spend as much time as you would on a bike.

And I can't say this enough....your biggest challenge is combating boredom. Do that and you are golden. For me, its a Tacx Fortius and an IPOD...whether or not that is for you is your decision.

denzelbalkman

Reaction score
I would choose a stationary bike over the treadmill. The stationary bike I recently purchased consumes a smaller space in my room and it is not just an ordinary stationary bike, it has a laptop tray feature that let me work-out while using my laptop. Here is the link to see my stationary bike.

dhfc55

Reaction score
Have to agree with post 2.... if you want to run, just put on your running shoes and step outside your front door. No need for any fancy equipment.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I have a treadmill because I like the act of running. Keep in mind that 70% of my running is done outdoors; the treadmill is just for rainy days, perfecting form etc.
I always liked the idea of getting a bike that could generate electricity but I was never sure how to go about buying one/building one.

Reaction score
If you want to get slimmer faster than astatiuonery bike will work wonders as it burns more calories than walking or jogging and also tone the thigh muscles. And also you can go and walk or jog any time anywhere for that you dont need a machine.

JPalmer

Reaction score
I prefer the stationary bike because of some trouble with shin splints. Running inside or outside is really hard on the body (outside more than inside), while cycling is easier. However, it feels like you have to work harder to burn the same amount of calories on a bike. What does everything think of elliptical machines?

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
If you are a hardcore runner then you are likely to use a treadmill more than anything else.

If you are a serious biker, you might prefer a bike, or a trainer attachment for your existing bike.

If you don't know which you prefer, figuring this out is the first step. There is no general right answer, different people prefer different machines. Join a gym for a while, try the treadmills, try the stationary bikes, try the ellipticals, try the stepping machines. Figure out which one you will really use. I say "join a gym" so you can workout on them, a number of times, and really see what you use over time. What gives you the best workout, what are you the most willing to use when you can barely get yourself to workout at all.

For an apartment, the treadmill will be the noisiest, by far. A bike probably the quietest, and stepper and elliptical about a tie. Treadmills, I think, require a bit more care to keep them from wearing out prematurely. Get something of decent quality. Manufacturers make very poorly made versions that look similar, but are flimsy, noisy, and awkward to use. They are cheaper, but a waste of money. You will find them so annoying you will never use them. You will end up with an expensive doorstop

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads