• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling solo?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did thailand and japan 2 years ago by myself. It's a strange boat really. You have to be really comfortable with the notion that you could be alone the entire time.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
photo16.jpg

I TOTALLY STAYED THERE. no joke. my mom's friend's grandma knew the owner or something. cute!

ccc123

Reaction score
i have travelled alone many times - its always a great time, I learn more about myself with each trip! - I highly recomend it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95% of my travel has been alone. I prefer it because you can meet new people anytime and ditch them without feeling guilty. It does get lonely at times though. I have kind of gotten over the backpacking thing and like to stay in rentals when traveling now so that I can get a feel for the city instead of rushing to see as many things as cheaply as possible like I used to do.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
There are plenty of non-shithole hostels in Europe and other continents that have private rooms, like the one you've pointed out in Peru. In fact, when I stayed in hostels when I was younger, I almost never opted for the dorm-style room.

You are certainly correct about doing research in advance, though. There are lots of great places and lots of ****** places that can all surprisingly be pretty much similar in price.

I wasn't aware that there were private rooms with private bathrooms at hostels in Europe. Wouldn't they typically be called bed & breakfasts now? Or just low-starred hotels? In Europe I've always stayed at good places so I was surprised to see this... Before I went to SA I thought hostel always meant low-priced, dorm-style place where your stuff will get stolen and you have to share a bathroom.

In SA, i didn't really see the distinction between a hostel and a hotel. I'm not sure what amenities you need to call yourself a hotel down there though...

Meursault

Reaction score
Europe has some fantastic hostels now, mostly clean and modern, sometimes with a bar/cafe on site. Generally, most of the accommodation will be in dorm rooms (normally single-sex but occasionally mixed) with a few private rooms w/bathroom for couples or groups of friends. Nowadays most of them stay open all night, so there's no curfew. They're not luxurious, but clean, comfortable, cheap and, most importantly, sociable. Standard rate in western Europe is about 20-25 euros/night, slightly more if you have a private room.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that there were private rooms with private bathrooms at hostels in Europe. Wouldn't they typically be called bed & breakfasts now? Or just low-starred hotels? In Europe I've always stayed at good places so I was surprised to see this... Before I went to SA I thought hostel always meant low-priced, dorm-style place where your stuff will get stolen and you have to share a bathroom.

In SA, i didn't really see the distinction between a hostel and a hotel. I'm not sure what amenities you need to call yourself a hotel down there though...

Generally, I think that places who use the term hostel have available dorm-style accommodations with shared bathrooms. But that's not necessarily exclusive, and many will also have available private rooms with en suite bathrooms. Hostels will be budget oriented and less formal than hotels. They also have common areas where socializing with other guests is encouraged and a kitchen where you can make your own food. These are some of the things that distinguish hostels from hotels and bed and breakfasts.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
i have travelled alone many times - its always a great time, I learn more about myself with each trip! - I highly recomend it.

Ditto. Best times of my life.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

most all of the places we stayed in croatia were apartment rentals.

zupermaus

Reaction score
There is nothing like having just checked into a hotel, then hitting the streets and thinking, right where/what now? What am I going to entertain/ interest myself with? That moment's choice of you and only you to make, for whatever your whim is one of the freest moments in a 21st century life imo.

It helps if you have a notebook/diary/ drawing pad and book if ever you need contact again. IN a way its a conversation of sorts - albeit with yourself traversing time and space (when you reread it ages later). Dont aim out to hook up with fellow travellers out there, it may never happen. Go with the expectation you wont speak to a soul the whole time, and youve got nothing to have lost.

One thing about travelling alone it repays back years later in helping you learn to take/ deal with risks, from career to family to being calm with general life and its ups and downs. The decision to travel itself is the first risk youll take.

Given this mindset, I cannot recommend it more.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
most all of the places we stayed in croatia were apartment rentals.

Yeah everyone sends their hottest daughter to the docks and train stations and you rent a room in their house while the mom does your laundry. What is the word they use again "soba"?

I remember getting into Split late at night and the only guy who still had a room was this old dude on crutches. He led me ass far away down some dark alleys and I thought I was going to get jumped, but he turned out being legit even though he obviously never changed the sheets on the bed.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've traveled alone for work and for fun. If you are social, you'll meet people. If you are an introvert, you won't meet people. Either way it works out.

Whenever I travel alone, I have that little bit of excitement, anxiety, or whatever you want to call it. Stepping off the plane in a new place, alone, to see and experience things the way I want, not knowing what will happen. I love that feeling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads