• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trauma inflicted when an airliner falls out of the sky

Star

Reaction score
The recent tragic crash of the Air France flight from Brazil to France got a few office colleagues talking about what the trauma would be on passengers on a flight where the plane dropped like stone into the ocean. Would the passengers become unconscious before impact? what physical trauma would be inflicted, would the fuselage breaking the water first reduce some of the impact??? Overall not a nice way to go.

chas

Reaction score
If the plane broke up at 35,000-feet then I think that everyone would of lost consciousness due to the sudden decompression coupled with the 500+ mph air speed at the time of break-up. I Suspect that there would be some trama to the human body caused by the break-up.

In terms of trama upon impact. I think it would be like when a water baloon hits the ground.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
In terms of trama upon impact. I think it would be like when a water baloon hits the ground.

Imagine the sound of bones crunching and flesh exploding. The red, red sea.

1123829_c2e1_625x1000.jpg

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think its interesting...I mean, did the plane just plummet 35k feet straight down? If so, are you buckled into your seat for ~3 minutes going terminal velocity just staring at the ocean? Id rather pass out. But man, the terror...

chas

Reaction score
Based on the debris field and the automatic messages sent from the plane it appears that the plane broke up in the air. So while you might be buckled to your seat you would not be "in the plane".

Scary as hell.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think about all the luggage above you....

Think about all the crap people have in their seatbacks, etc....

Now imagine all that in a can, getting shaken violently....

I've been in turbulence sufficient to pop open some of the overheads, but never so bad that oxygen masks deployed. The turbulence I've been through wasn't real pleasant....

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would rather have a massive coronary on the way down

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and if she gave me that "not until the captain switches off the no smoking light" crap, i'd slap her

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
every time I fly I consider it a "near death" experience. something unsettling about moving at 500+ mph, while 35000 feet in the air, in a metal cylinder

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads