• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Totally lost....need help

wyleecoyotee

Reaction score
Hello all noob here,

This is kind of long winded so please bear with me. After owning a few mens wear house suits for a few years i decided to purchase some custom made or bespoke suits. This all happened last year. I never noticed it before but the mw suits looked blocky and old, this is why I wanted new ones. So a friend of a friend recommended his guy. This guy came to my house, we talked about what I wanted. I ended up picking out three fabrics and he took measurements. About 3 weeks later I got the suits. They fit better, but still appear blocky to me.
Fast forward now, While shopping at the department stores I've been trying on all the slimmest and more "modern" jackets. None, of them fit me. Not one.

After trying jacket after jacket at 3 stores i gave up actually finding one off the rack that is close to fitting. On a last attempt I wondered into a menswear store that reminded me of a flea market. I tried on a jacket, an it fit. It fit almost Perfectly! But, the suit is polyester and its only $126.00. I'm surprised because the suit is so cheap but fits and looks great.

What puzzles me is this store has ordered these suits a specific way because its in a military town and lots of their clients are military. Lots of military guys have body types similar to mine. I'm a 44r chest with about a 34-36 waist.

Thanks for being patient, my question is:

I paid 1k each for these suits. Is there a way to get them to fit and look like the cheap suit I found? Should I buy the cheap suit and then find a pro who can make them fit and look like the polyester one?

Am I just screwed? Should I try to sell the suits I have?

Thanks for the help.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good alterations tailor can fix your good suits.

Take the well fitting suit with you when you go to the tailor.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as your suits fit you well in the shoulders, a good tailor can definitely make them slimmer in other areas.

You'll get the best answers, though, if you can post some good quality pictures of you wearing one of these. Try to have someone else take the pic so you can have both arms down by your side at a natural rest.

There is a big thread on here for all sorts of tailoring questions so you'll probably get all the info you need if you post a good picture there.

wyleecoyotee

Reaction score
I plan to speak to the owner of the store today. I'm going to try to get some info on getting a wool suit with that cut. Last time I was there there were probably 3 wool suits in the store, I couldn't believe it.

I'll get some pics as well. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads