• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torrance, CA

UMass

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The company has a big "H" in their logo
tongue.gif

I been to Cal. many times but not the Torrence area mainly SF/Bay area. The LA/SoCal area is a big blob to me. I go there, I see, I look, I leave.

I did some google maps and housing searches for the area. House I looked at was $1.5 millon range for 3 bedroom ranch on the west side of 213 near Redondo Beach.
crazy.gif

I know it's California. I didn't realize Compton isnt' too far away.

Seems like Torrance is a nice suburb and decent place to live.

I know how SoCal traffic can be so I didn't want to live too far away from the big "H".

I was concerned about quality of life aspect before I respond to the position. I will let everyone know how this concludes!

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UMass
Thanks for all the replies. The company has a big "H" in their logo
tongue.gif

I been to Cal. many times but not the Torrence area mainly SF/Bay area. The LA/SoCal area is a big blob to me. I go there, I see, I look, I leave.

I did some google maps and housing searches for the area. House I looked at was $1.5 millon range for 3 bedroom ranch on the west side of 213 near Redondo Beach.
crazy.gif

I know it's California. I didn't realize Compton isnt' too far away.

Seems like Torrance is a nice suburb and decent place to live.

I know how SoCal traffic can be so I didn't want to live too far away from the big "H".

I was concerned about quality of life aspect before I respond to the position. I will let everyone know how this concludes!

The big "H" in Torrance hosts an annual food and wine festival fundraiser that I haven't missed for the past 8 years. The Depot is an excellent little restaurant within walking distance.

BTW, I drive an H
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Although it may seem counter-intuitive looking at a map, I suspect Torrance-Hollywood may be better than Torrance-Santa Monica. The Harbor Freeway at rush hour is bad, but in my experience nothing is worse than the Santa Monica Freeway if you have to fight through that stretch by the airport.

Alright, I keep noticing this when I go back to LA to visit family. I haven't lived in SoCal for... holy hell, over a decade now. That's crazy. But yeah, at what point did people start using the names of freeways? It was just the 5, the 405, the 210, etc. when I was growing up. I know it's not just me, I've heard family members complain about the traffic reports because they use freeway names instead of the numbers (my Mom, an Angeleno born and raised, complains about this all the time--she has no idea what the freeway names are, she's never used them).

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Alright, I keep noticing this when I go back to LA to visit family. I haven't lived in SoCal for... holy hell, over a decade now. That's crazy. But yeah, at what point did people start using the names of freeways? It was just the 5, the 405, the 210, etc. when I was growing up. I know it's not just me, I've heard family members complain about the traffic reports because they use freeway names instead of the numbers (my Mom, an Angeleno born and raised, complains about this all the time--she has no idea what the freeway names are, she's never used them).

+1

What's really confusing is that some freeways have a different name depending on the strech. Like the 5 freeway is known as the Golden State freeway in LA County and the Santa Ana freeeway in Orange County.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
What's really confusing is that some freeways have a different name depending on the strech. Like the 5 freeway is known as the Golden State freeway in LA County and the Santa Ana freeeway in Orange County.

Exactly!

In other news, my friend Dave (Buffalo born, NJ now) thinks it's hilarious when I use the definite article before freeway numbers.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i haven't heard anyone use the freeway names except on the tv/radio news.

Originally Posted by quevola
+1

i thought it was the golden state if heading north and the santa ana if heading south. like the 101 is the ventura fwy heading north and the hollywood fwy if heading south.

Exactly!

In other news, my friend Dave (Buffalo born, NJ now) thinks it's hilarious when I use the definite article before freeway numbers.

in northern california, they say, "get onto 5", instead of "get onto the 5."

but for some reason we call it pch, whereas others call it the pch. weird.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i haven't heard anyone use the freeway names except on the tv/radio news.

So what you're saying is that lawyerdad's just a pretentious ass? Cool.
mwink[1].gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
There are some good Japanese restaurants in Torrance, maybe some of the best/most authentic in SoCal

Torrance/Gardena = the win for Japanese and Korean food.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matadorpoeta;897255 said:
i thought it was the golden state if heading north and the santa ana if heading south. like the 101 is the ventura fwy heading north and the hollywood fwy if heading south.QUOTE]

Your right, however if you keep traveling south on the Santa Ana freeway it becomes the San Diego freeway.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that lawyerdad's just a pretentious ass? Cool.
mwink[1].gif

as far as i know, he's from here, so i don't know where that 'harbor fwy' came from. maybe it was for the benefit of the other members. quevola, where i live, the 405 south is the san diego fwy, and the 405 north... is... i think the golden sate. i suppose that makes sense since it merges with the 5 anyway. i don't know. let's agree to stick with the numbers.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
as far as i know, he's from here, so i don't know where that 'harbor fwy' came from. maybe it was for the benefit of the other members.

quevola,
where i live, the 405 south is the san diego fwy, and the 405 north... is... i think the golden sate. i suppose that makes sense since it merges with the 5 anyway. i don't know. let's agree to stick with the numbers.

Cool beans - we'll stick with the numbers. One thing for certain, no matter what we call them, the freeway traffic here blows. It took me 45 minutes to drive a 15 mile stretch of the 5 if this afternoon and when you consider it was a supposed holiday today
censored.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never heard the freeways referred to as anything other than numbers. Calling freeways by their names seems to be restricted to middle aged suburban racists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics