• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get all the excitement about momofuku - why should I look forward to it?

I ate at Momofuku Ma Peche in NYC a couple of years ago and it was one of the more memorable meals I've had. It was probably also because I had great company and we spontaneously decided to go there (and I also knew nothing about the David Chang hype), but it was great, interesting, and well made food in an atmosphere that was casual and unpretentious. I do kind of find it annoying that Toronto keeps trying to be NYC, but if it means a good and interesting restaurant opens here, I guess I don't care.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to La Carnita. It was pretty good, more expensive than Grand Electric (which sucks). In my opinion La Carnita is the go-to Mexican restaurant for Torontonians too afraid to go into Parkdale or wait in line somewhere too "hipster" for them.

Well I'm going to go after work in a suit & tie. I do that all the time, but the fact that a lot of new places have subpar air conditioning and long wait times does bother me.

I should be able to make it to La Carnita this Friday.

because it's something from "new york", age old trick, has always worked on us naive canadians

I ate at Momofuku Ma Peche in NYC a couple of years ago and it was one of the more memorable meals I've had. It was probably also because I had great company...

It sounds like if tomgirl goes with me, I can get over the mindless New Yorker envy and enjoy myself? ;)

I went to Le Ti Colibri (think I got the spelling right) yesterday in Kensington. It's next to Wanda's and across Kensington Bistro. It's a husband and wife shop but the husband left when I came in which left me in a connundrum. I wasn't sure whether she was busy cooking or ready to take orders. Some people just walked right on by to the backyard patio and had a seat expecting wait staff to show up.

We both had the salt fish sandwich which comes with massive fried dough, some greens and salt fish in a mild or spicy sauce (go for spicy!). To go with the entree, we had home made lemonade, which rather tasted like powdered iced tea to me, and some kind of super sweet mocktail. $23 in total. She brings out the food after making it and we took the trays back in after finishing. The bread is massive and heavy. It can put you to sleep. When I was there, she ran out of avocado.

The backyard patio looks better in pictures. In real life you're rearranging errant branches so they don't hit you in the course of the meal and fighting off the odd fruit fly. But it's still a cute and quaint place. I'm not sure I'd return. The rest of the menu doesn't look too appetizing to me and the saltfish stays in your mouth (breath?) for awhile. Bring a toothbrush.

TheButler

Reaction score

because it's something from "new york", age old trick, has always worked on us naive canadians

Meh, condescension. It's hardly going out on a limb to suggest that a successful chef has a higher-than-normal-chance of doing well on subsequent ventures. New York envy? Seriously? Have you never looked forward to a new album release because you liked the band's previous? A new movie because of the director? Its not that hard of an association to make.

TheButler

Reaction score
Three floors. Casual - presumably your hated noodle bar. An actual bar. And the main restaurant, some incarnation of the 2-3 hour tasting menu experience that tomgirl refers to; the real reason for caring.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that also why they give all of our "premium" condominiums lame titles ilk "MyYC" and "SOHO"? LOL.

OMG it's like I live in Manhattan, except at 401/Yonge.

Last edited:

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After getting the cheque at La Carnita, I got a picture of a skull with pigs that were acting as the eyeballs. I wasn't sure what to make of it. Was there a secret picture behind the picture?

Anyway, I had the "Carnita" special taco and the cod one. Friend had the same plus the chorizo. I found all the appetizers the be variations of the same thing - crisps with dipping sauce. We also split some Mexican doughnuts - not sure where Mexicans would get an idea of how to make one but okay. First mojito my friend got was in an old fashioned glass so we weren't sure where you muddle the mint leaves. My bourbon cocktail had a kick to it. Maybe I was lucky - I walked right in at 7:00 PM and got a table no questions asked on a Friday. But it was pretty loud. If you folks are telling me Grand Electric is worse, I'll have to defer to my older sensibilities. Except for the furnishings, the layout looks almost exactly the same as Cinq-o-one or whatever Italian restaurant was there before. Also I noticed the restaurant does not feature cutlery.

Went bar hopping afterwards all the way down to King west and then finished up at The Pilot. I'm getting too old for that patio, so I went downstairs and had a scotch instead in front of the TV.

Last edited:

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
re condos: so many terrible offenders. how about the "california" condos they've been advertising on lakeshore. yea, it really is like california with the water treatment plant's odor all in your unit

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried North of Brooklyn yesterday for lunch. I read it was run by ex Libretto folks. The pizzas are thin crust but a little crunchier and less charred than Libretto. I had the white and my lunch mate had a margherita. You're going to have to eat it with your hands. The cutlery here is plastic so the knife is absolutely usless. For the white pizza they sprinkle a bunch of arugula on top of it, which I presume is what the fork is for. Her margherita didn't look too runny from the sauce. Drinks were disappointing - flavoured pelligrino, ginger ale and a cola. I was told also to take the ones in the back as the ones in the front are warm. I had to go back to work so I didn't try the much touted garlic knot. There were also plenty of people ordering whole pizzas.

Like Libretto and most new restaurants in Toronto this year, the air conditioning is virtually non-existent although it was cool enough yesterday I could get by with a jacket. My lunch mate found it interesting to watch the folks make the pizza. I mistakenly dropped by once thinking the place was open late night and found it to be closed. The hours on their website are accurate.

Since I've never been to New York for pizza, I can't make the comparison.

Last edited:

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got back in town this week and missed most of the film festival stuff. Any interesting places open up just for the film festival? Anyone make it into Soho House? Anyone go to those 4am bars?

The Grove just got voted by Macleans as the best new restaurant. I suppose it'll get a bump now just like Acadia and Campagnolo did before with other publications.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Kultura as mentioned above but the 360 food is terrible IMO.

Checked out Gusto 101 the other day for lunch and it had a good vibe - food was so so but it'd a nice atmosphere and well located.

Still have to give it up to Libretto and Terroni for pizza joints.

Also had a steak and frites at Sidecar a couple of weeks ago. I love their back patio and the apps were good (fried halibut) but the steak was so insanely salty I had trouble finishing it. Previously I had their steak and frites and it was good so might have been a fluke.

closetmess

Reaction score

I like Kultura as mentioned above but the 360 food is terrible IMO.
Checked out Gusto 101 the other day for lunch and it had a good vibe - food was so so but it'd a nice atmosphere and well located.
Still have to give it up to Libretto and Terroni for pizza joints.
Also had a steak and frites at Sidecar a couple of weeks ago. I love their back patio and the apps were good (fried halibut) but the steak was so insanely salty I had trouble finishing it. Previously I had their steak and frites and it was good so might have been a fluke.

When I lived in Toronto the steak frites at Sidecar was my after work relatively cheap go to meal/impromptu date spot. Sad to hear about your experience, hopefully it's a one-off.

Have you been to TTS above it yet? I left the city right before it opened and was wondering how it is doing and if their light fare is any good? I can safely assume the drinks are excellent.

http://www.torontotemperancesociety.com/

Also -- Libretto FTW, which makes me also miss Golden Turtle Pho and the Foxley.

**** Toronto has some good food.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

momofuku noodle bar now open. worst ramen in the city, broth is colored water.

I received an invitation to try a $160 tasting course (I think that was the price) on Wednesday but as I was out of town and it was less than 48 hours notice I declined.

Have you been to TTS above it yet? I left the city right before it opened and was wondering how it is doing and if their light fare is any good? I can safely assume the drinks are excellent.

It's still there. They've been through two bartenders (one of which went I don't know where, but one whom I saw at Yours Truly). They just had a cigar night this week. They have the full Side Car menu and a separate bar menu for after 10pm (which includes a brisket sandwich, nuts from Barques, etc.) until closing. I try to make it out once a month and I go alone half the time. I think a proper bar ought to be dark and without televisions so it's spot on for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads