• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Cobblers

gj555

Reaction score
Thanks for the great review! What was the price of recraft?

Resole which also includes a light cleaning and conditioning of the upper is $125. I needed some extra work done to stiffen the shoe at the back so my cost was $30 more.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resole which also includes a light cleaning and conditioning of the upper is $125. I needed some extra work done to stiffen the shoe at the back so my cost was $30 more.

That seems to be within the market range.

How do you find the KR sole? I really like JR, as I've recrafted 2 pairs.

But I am open to other options, and want to support GTA cobblers. The pics aren't clear. But is the stitch protected by a grooved channel? Thanks.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gj555

Reaction score

Yes. They look to be made for MB by a German leather company.

As for the soles themselves, they seem to be fine. Comfortable and I don't find them stiff at all. My only experience with a JR sole is on a pair of shell AEs that I don't wear very much so I can't really compare. But, I am not overly picky. I would rather repair something locally with good material than send it away to repair (even if the material is better), especially when these KR branded soles are better than the original soles on the shoes. I should add that the heal he uses is Italian made.

The channel is grooved. It is deeper at the front of the shoe where the stitching would wear our quicker than towards the back. If you bring shoes to try with him, you can certainly mention the way you want grooves to protect the stitching if you are concerned. The sense I get is that they are capable of anything.

As for lasts, I don't know. Not something that I was concerned with. No way I would even know how to tell the difference in a finished product. When I go pick up my second pair of shoes, I can ask.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. They look to be made for MB by a German leather company.

As for the soles themselves, they seem to be fine. Comfortable and I don't find them stiff at all. My only experience with a JR sole is on a pair of shell AEs that I don't wear very much so I can't really compare. But, I am not overly picky. I would rather repair something locally with good material than send it away to repair (even if the material is better), especially when these KR branded soles are better than the original soles on the shoes. I should add that the heal he uses is Italian made.

The channel is grooved. It is deeper at the front of the shoe where the stitching would wear our quicker than towards the back. If you bring shoes to try with him, you can certainly mention the way you want grooves to protect the stitching if you are concerned. The sense I get is that they are capable of anything.

As for lasts, I don't know. Not something that I was concerned with. No way I would even know how to tell the difference in a finished product. When I go pick up my second pair of shoes, I can ask.

Thanks for the responses. I will give Boris a try.

Matthew Dacks also recommends Coakley in London Ontario. He quoted me $100 for a recraft. Otherwise, Dacks recommends a cobbler in Quebec City or Bay Bloor repair, who was their "go to guy" back when Dacks had stores in GTA.

If any other SF members recommend a GTA cobbler to recraft Goodyear welted shoes, please post!

gj555

Reaction score
... or Bay Bloor repair, who was their "go to guy" back when Dacks had stores in GTA.

Interestingly, the guy at Bay Bloor repair claims that 95% of his customers are women. He is in a youtube video somewhere with this claim. I wonder is that is indicative of his business, shoe repair generally or uniquely Canadian (in that Men just buy crappy shoes and then throw them out in Toronto/Canada).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the guy at Bay Bloor repair claims that 95% of his customers are women. He is in a youtube video somewhere with this claim. I wonder is that is indicative of his business, shoe repair generally or uniquely Canadian (in that Men just buy crappy shoes and then throw them out in Toronto/Canada).

Hmmmm, don't know. I have only recrafted 2 pairs in the 9 years I have been buying nicer dress shoes. I usually donate/sell ones I don't wear/want anymore. I have owned over 50 pairs in that period.

gj555

Reaction score
Last week I sent Moneysworth customer service an email asking about the KR soles. This is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting Moneysworth & Best!
Yes they are similar.
Here is some information for you on the KR leather:
This leather is of very high quality due to the very slow tanning process. The hides hang in a pre-tan pit for 5 weeks. Then they move to ground tan with vegetable tanning agents (crushed oak bark, acorns and chestnuts). They slowly tan here for 18 months total. This slow process gives the leather naturally very high protection against water penetration and a very low abrasion during wear. It also gives them a warm color and a grain pattern that is characteristic of this type of prime leather.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I sent Moneysworth customer service an email asking about the KR soles. This is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting Moneysworth & Best!
Yes they are similar.
Here is some information for you on the KR leather:
This leather is of very high quality due to the very slow tanning process. The hides hang in a pre-tan pit for 5 weeks. Then they move to ground tan with vegetable tanning agents (crushed oak bark, acorns and chestnuts). They slowly tan here for 18 months total. This slow process gives the leather naturally very high protection against water penetration and a very low abrasion during wear. It also gives them a warm color and a grain pattern that is characteristic of this type of prime leather.

Thank you for this great info. I'm definitely going to try KR soles with Boris. I have a few pairs that need to be recrafted.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried Shoe Medic in Oakville and Burlington?
http://www.shoemedic.com/

JR recraft costs $170, which is not cheap. Also would take 2 weeks.

I was a little concerned though. I spoke with the gentleman operating the cash at Mapleview Mall in Burlington yesterday. I asked him about the JR recraft. He was unable to tell me if they would strip and replace the cork. He also could not tell me if they would replace the welt as necessary. He gave me several pieces of incorrect or irrelevant info:

1. Not all goodyear welted shoes have corks in the midsole area;
2. Shoe Medic is the ONLY cobbler in Canada that can source JR soles (I have used a place in Montreal and Vancouver).

They do install coloured topys which was kind of cool. Other than that, I thought the price was high, and the man at the cash register didn't seem to know a whole lot about cobbling.

If anyone else has used them, and can provide a review, it'd be greatly appreciated!

gj555

Reaction score
Well, I just picked up another pair of resoles at Family shoe repair. Shoes were made in England Charles Tyrwhitt that I wore out over a year ago but had not yet fixed. The welt was also replaced. They did an excellent hob. I like the brass nails on the heel.

CTShoesResole.jpg

I also took a couple of photos of the sample shoes that they make onsite (they are Blake stitched) and will try and post them later.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I just picked up another pair of resoles at Family shoe repair. Shoes were made in England Charles Tyrwhitt that I wore out over a year ago but had not yet fixed. The welt was also replaced. They did an excellent hob. I like the brass nails on the heel.

View attachment 780179

I also took a couple of photos of the sample shoes that they make onsite (they are Blake stitched) and will try and post them later.

Do they do sunken toe plates?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 780179

Definitely will give them a try. Have a pair of Dacks that need to be resoled.

gj555

Reaction score
Do they do sunken toe plates?

I don't know. If I had to guess, I would say that they have the skill to do it but it would really come down to whether or not they carry the plates (i.e. would be surprised if there is much demand in the GTA for toe plates).

Give them a call, ask to speak to Borris and ask your questions. Lets us know what they say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads